Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

chris iwalumo

edited May 2007 in Rumours
He should have signed on monday night but they couldn,t agree a fee. Apparantly he,s on 2k and cafc have offered him 6

Comments

• Another name easy to scan into a chant
  • is he any good ?...didn't he score something like 18 goals last season ?
  • easy enough , just sing his surname along to tom hark.
  • Yeah but it is one of those names that kind of fall out of your mouth and never in the same order as the last time.

If he does sign, if he is the player we are close to signing, then it proves that we are already preparing for life in the ccc by buying its better players. It will also be good to sign a big striker who actually scores goals, the first since AH.
  • i thought he was out of contract,if we can't agree fee with colchester we are in trouble.If he does sign let's hope he does as well as our last signing from them.Some geezer called Kinsella me thinks.
  • [cite]Posted By: the elk[/cite]He should have signed on monday night but they couldn,t agree a fee. Apparantly he,s on 2k and cafc have offered him 6

get your facts right. Even IF we are interested we do not have to agree a fee with anyone as he's 28 and on a Bosman. Wouldn't have thought wages would be any sort of an issue. IF we sign him I think it'll be a reasonable signing, 18 goals in the Championship is three times that which Lisbie or M Bent would score there.
  • These clubs in the CCC are a bit of a joke sometimes with the money they demand for their better players. I know they need the cash and I am not saying we should try and rip them off but all the same you do get the impression that these guys seriously over-estimate the value of someone who has done OK in that league.
  • He's on a bosman, no fee involved
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]These clubs in the CCC are a bit of a joke sometimes with the money they demand for their better players. I know they need the cash and I am not saying we should try and rip them off but all the same you do get the impression that these guys seriously over-estimate the value of someone who has done OK in that league.

I agree that will be the case with someone like Eastwood but Iwelumo is on a free.
  • Whoops, sorry troops didn't realise he was on a Bosman. I know that someone like Eastwood would have to be concerned that Southend price him out of a move because it only takes one injury or loss of form and a player can sink without trace. Look at David Whyte in his first year with us, rumors were that Chelsea were bidding 2.5 million for him but we held onto him. Of course, the next year he was crap and ended up leaving on a free.
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton want Colchester striker Chris Iwulemo to shoot them straight back into the top-flight. (The Daily Star) - not the best source but shows it's in circulation
  • He will be off to Watford then this afternoon
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]He will be off to Watford then this afternoon

and we'll sell Darren Bent for £5m, just to make you feel all smug and right
  • he he he
  • Has anyone seen this Iwelumo play? I'm sure he used to play for Stoke and i always thought he was a bit of a carthorse. Granted he's just had a good season but so did Michael Ricketts once.
  • Michael Ricketts, ah, there's a name. Is he the worst player to ever play for England? I think he must be right up there alongside Geoff Thomas, Andy Gray, Brian Deane and Tony Daley.
  • My Southend mate has seen him a few times and has doubts he's just a had a good little spell. 18 goals in the Championship can't be knocked, but he has not started performing until he was 27 years old.

He is a big 6"4 target man. He will not have finesse or a good touch, but he will work hard for the team, keep the oppo defence busy and be a danger from set pieces and decent wide play. A player like Eastwood who would play off the last defender would benefit very well from him.

If he is a free transfer than it sounds like a decent acquisition, but he won't record goal returns or the level of footballing play that Hunt and Mendonca did in the Championship, and he probably won't be an automatic starter.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Has anyone seen this Iwelumo play? I'm sure he used to play for Stoke and i always thought he was a bit of a carthorse. Granted he's just had a good season but so did Michael Ricketts once.

18 goals in CCC says he ain't no carthorse fella.

Isn't he a jock as well - don't laugh i know he's black but I am sure he is scottish
  • 18s quite good for non-goal scoring target man type player....

:)
  • Reminds me of when we signed Hunt, there was loads of people saying why have we signed a bloke that has only really scored regularly at non-league? Now the bloke is a legend.

To be honest even if the bloke cannot tie his own laces if he is nuisance to the oppo and scores 15+ next season in the league he will have done his job. If we play too much football we will end up like Arsenal dominating games but with little to show for it, so it is always nice to have one player whose only intention is get in the box and fight for those crosses.
  • Sponsored links:

• I did say granted he's had a good season but as AFKA said he's 27 and this is his first good season. My worry is he's a one season wonder and did well as Colchester were largely an unknown quantity.
    Although on a freebie without stretching the wage bill too much i guess there's no real gamble.
  • We need someone to head in all those excellant Lloyd Sam crosses. Sam at Anfield delivered more quality crosses than the rest of our wingers did all season.
  • how do you define a good season, goals scored? Perhaps he's a provider, battering ram type player. Would have been nice if M Bent had done this instead of failing to, or to score regularly.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Has anyone seen this Iwelumo play? I'm sure he used to play for Stoke and i always thought he was a bit of a carthorse. Granted he's just had a good season but so did Michael Ricketts once.

18 goals in CCC says he ain't no carthorse fella.

Isn't he a jock as well - don't laugh i know he's black but I am sure he is scottish

your right dude, he is a scottish! first thing i tried to remember was that fellow from porridge, what was his name, anyone remember??
  • If you look at hes career its been like: free transfer to one german team released after 6 months, joined a low league english team, sent out on loan, free transfer again, signed to a foreign club again, free transfer, then to colchester.
  • i must admit i have my doubts. but he could be really important in a crap hoofing match up at TurfMoor on a wet wednesday when the only chance of scoring is from set pieces. i think he'd have a role to play. as long as we dont have 2 oafs up front its ok. if he can be a nuisance and an outlet, plus getting close to 15 a season itll be great. i would like to see sharp...ive only seen him goals on the league round ups but he does look very razor indeed!
  • I will admit not filling me with confidence but we are missing having a target man and if he is free you can't go wrong would of preferred Cureton
  • and its been years since i've chanted 'LEEEEAAAABBBUURRNNN'

:-)
  • Didn't Parkinson sign him when he was at ColU?
  • edited May 2007
    wasn't it Fergus or something like that? (the scottish black guy from porridge)

just looked it up his name was McLaren apparently.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0652150/