Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Murray

edited June 2011 in Troubleshooting

is British at the moment then

:-)

Comments

• I dont know anyone who only like him when he wins and call him Scottish when he loses.

Most that I know just dont like him full stop.

• Yep, cue all the hype...

No British tennis player has won Wimbledon since 1936 yada, yada, yada...

• Hope he crashes and burns at Wimbledon. I cant stand the man.
  • I never have, and never will understand people's insistence in supporting competitors on a nationality basis in individual tournaments.

I would rather Tiger won The Open over Lee Westwood and I'd rather Roger Federer won Wimbledon over Andy Murray.

But then I'd support Westwood and Murray in the Ryder and Davis cups.

I have no problem either with Murray saying he'd want England to lose a football match (although he never actually meant it) Why should a Scotsman support England?

However I don't like Murray, basically because he comes across as a sour faced weasel.

This
  • Narky Scots' git.
    This
    is this the cl mentality in all it's blazing glory?%-[>
  • He's a sour faced weasel but he's our sour faced weasel (until he loses at Wimbledon)
  • good win today, shame that he is a contemporary of arguably the best two players who have ever trod the planet .. earth that is.
  • good win today, shame that he is a contemporary of arguably the best two players who have ever trod the planet .. earth that is.

and the number 3 is very good too

I might be in a minority of one on CL but good luck Andy
  • Sponsored links:

and the number 3 is very good too

I might be in a minority of one on CL but good luck Andy
    Minority of two, one of the few world class sportsmen that Britain has produced in the last ten years, not sure why so many dislike him though they clearly do 
  • He's played well this week, but I'd imagine his ankle is still pretty fragile. Either way, even at his best he has absaloutley no chance at Wimbledon. It's not just Fed and Nadal he has to worry about, now Djokovic is starting to make the step up to that level as well. Either way he's a fantastic athlete and I don't understand all this "narky Scottish git" stuff, he always comes across as a decent bloke in interviews and bits and pieces he does for the TV. Perhaps he's focused on his career and people would prefer it if he was a "proper lad" and lived the lifestyle you'd prefer him to.
  • He is definitely British at the moment - for no other reason that treating him so winds up the scots. He will be Scottish again when/if he fails. He is a bit more careful about what he says now as he knows English support is more money in his pocket.
  • yeah i cant see where people get this bad vibe of him from. i dont think ive ever seen him do or say anything 'narky'. the england football comment was a joke and if it pissed you off you have a serious problem.

• he is a good tennis player simple rather cheer on Andy than Tim Henman
  • I seem like one of few that like him! I think hes a brilliant player, and good luck to him at wimbledon!
  • What Muttley says. Murray is true Brit after winning at Queens. I like to praise him in such a way when my Scottish colleague is in the room. 
    In a few weeks time no doubt he will be a Scots barsteward once again..
  • Sure sign Wimbledon is coming when another "Andy Murray" thread rears its head.

• He's a sour faced weasel but he's our sour faced weasel (until he loses at Wimbledon)
    But Wimbledon is NOT an event of nations Len, it's for individuals. His nationality, British or Scottish is irrellevent.
  • I'm not sure what annoys me more , the miserable sour faced sweatie himself or the Jock loving BBC , who wet themselves with excitment at anything connected with Scotland.

I think its a dead heat

• Sponsored links:

• yeah i cant see where people get this bad vibe of him from. i dont think ive ever seen him do or say anything 'narky'. the england football comment was a joke and if it pissed you off you have a serious problem.

Agreed. Sadly, Murray falls into that "third category" of British sportsman who is not a gallant loser (Bruno, Henman) or a pisshead "one of the boys" (Gazza, Botham, Flintoff).

Instead, Murray is a dedicated serious professional who, a bit like Nick Faldo, won't kiss arse and tell people what they want to hear just to make himself popular.

Just a shame for Murray that he will be at his peak when Federer/Nadal are still going quite strongly and Djokovic is coming into his prime as well.

But Wimbledon is NOT an event of nations Len, it's for individuals. His nationality, British or Scottish is irrellevent.

Yes it is for individuals (and doubles pairs both single and mixed sex )but supporters, particularly at Wimbledon, traditionally support players from their own country or, if foreign, longstanding well established and loved players like Borg, Navratolova etc.

Yes it is for individuals (and doubles pairs both single and mixed sex )but supporters, particularly at Wimbledon, traditionally support players from their own country or, if foreign, longstanding well established and loved players like Borg, Navratolova etc.

I'm not from Scotland. He's not from England. Why supoort him? He's a good player, no doubt about that, but I'm no more inclined to support him than I am to support Motherwell.
  • funny how some support the League of Nations England cricket team but won't give Murray, a Scot, the time of day.
  • funny how some support the League of Nations England cricket team but won't give Murray, a Scot, the time of day.

They'd be happy to see England represented by a tribe of Cannibals, so long as n'ery a one were ta be borun in Scowtlan 

• It doesn't matter who is playing for England at cricket, football or anything. It doesn't matter if they come from England, Ireland, S Africa or indeed Mars. It is the England team representing England regardless of who is in the team.
  • I found the Murray/Faldo comparison most amsuing.
  • It doesn't matter who is playing for England at cricket, football or anything. It doesn't matter if they come from England, Ireland, S Africa or indeed Mars. It is the England team representing England regardless of who is in the team.
    not for me, I want my representatives to have more in common with me than to be merely human and possess an  English/British passport, else why bother with international sport?. If anyone can play for any 'nation' then the highest bidder will always win through. World Cup Final 2018:   Qatar 3  (Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney)   ... Russia 2 (Xavi, Sanchez).. if you follow my drift
  • I like Andy Murray.  Got absolutely nothing against him, and I want him to do well.

I like Rafael Nadal as well though - my cat is named after him.
  • I found the Murray/Faldo comparison most amsuing.

Please enlighten us.....

Both deadly serious and dedicated and don't play the media "game" at all.