Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Things you didn't know about Falconwood

edited June 2011 in Fun, Jokes & Captions
yes its more than just a scummy eaterie, train station and nightclub in someone's house

(following up on a thread some time back)

As mentioned back then - we have the delights of The Green with its row of shops called Falconwood Parade, green space, and lottery funded play park

I have just found the rumored model railway we have in the 'Wode' courtesy of the WELLING AND DISTRICT MODEL ENGINEERING SOCIETY

:)

Comments

• Len Goodman lived there

• You reckon it's worth around 90k?
  • The cemetery opened in 1935
  • Falconwood Community Centre was opened in 1954. The Falconwood Community Association meets here 5 times a week along with many other groups. The Falconwood and District Horticultural Society stages the Annual Fruit, Flower and Vegetable Show on the third Saturday in August.
  • There used to be a lido there
  • Named after a bird of prey's erection.
  • Sponsored links:

• Falconwood railway station which was opened in 1936, and is one of few stations with no step-free access whatsoever.
  • I get my haircut in Falconwood. On The Green. Well, not on the green, but at those shops them there
  • On reflection, it is a very dull place really isn't it? Dominated by a power station, a motorway and a railway line / station and an abundance of moribund housing (no offence to those who live there of course) 
  • edited June 2011
    not a power station as such but I take your point. No different from most suburbia, but this thread is supposed to be tongue in cheek, many don't realise its not just the bit by the station

1930s housing stock of some nice quiet safe streets (the area around the green can get a bit rough though due to loitering yoof sadly) -  it does however have some nice green spaces close by in Oxleas Wood, Eltham Common, Danson Park. Some shops schools and a railway station 20 odd mins to London Bridge with a fair wind. There are far worse places to live and bring up littluns.

the model railway is a real 'find' for some :) someone told me about its existence, but I hadn't managed to find it so far, my boy will love it though.
    On reflection, it is a very dull place really isn't it? Dominated by a power station, a motorway and a railway line / station and an abundance of moribund housing (no offence to those who live there of course) 
    but yes it is a bit dull, not always a bad thing though and you barely notice the big main road
  • As mentioned back then - we have the delights of The Green with its row of shops called Falconwood Parade, green space, and lottery funded play park
    Don't knock The Green! That little Co-Op has been a lifesaver many a time. Admittedly a small nuclear device in that play area every evening wouldn't go amiss but even so...
  • not a power station as such but I take your point. No different from most suburbia, but this thread is supposed to be tongue in cheek, many don't realise its not just the bit by the station

1930s housing stock of some nice quiet safe streets (the area around the green can get a bit rough though due to loitering yoof sadly) -  it does however have some nice green spaces close by in Oxleas Wood, Eltham Common, Danson Park. Some shops schools and a railway station 20 odd mins to London Bridge with a fair wind. There are far worse places to live and bring up littluns.

the model railway is a real 'find' for some :) someone told me about its existence, but I hadn't managed to find it so far, my boy will love it though.
    On reflection, it is a very dull place really isn't it? Dominated by a power station, a motorway and a railway line / station and an abundance of moribund housing (no offence to those who live there of course) 
    but yes it is a bit dull, not always a bad thing though and you barely notice the big main road
    my kids have been on the mini railway quite a few times and loved it - you're right, there are far worse places to live.
  • you can't turn left when exiting the A2...............instead you have to turn right, the right again at the station (blocking traffic trying to go straight ahead) at which point you are then competing with pedestrians hurrying for their trains and kids running on the green and into the shops............ending up effectively doing a U-turn amongst the flotsom & jetsom of life when it would have been simpler, less dangeous, less time consuming and less CO2 emmissions to turn left as per 99% of junctions.

only the council can come up with that one !!!!!!!!!!!

• The model railway is simply delighful. If you've got kids under 10 there's no better way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon. Lovely little tea shop there too.

The Falcon pub was a great pub in the 80's. Proper big Courage pub run by John & May. Then of course there was the attached Disco on a Friday and Saturday night.

Can't add much more.

• you can't turn left when exiting the A2...............instead you have to turn right, the right again at the station (blocking traffic trying to go straight ahead) at which point you are then competing with pedestrians hurrying for their trains and kids running on the green and into the shops............ending up effectively doing a U-turn amongst the flotsom & jetsom of life when it would have been simpler, less dangeous, less time consuming and less CO2 emmissions to turn left as per 99% of junctions.

The turn off the A2 is in Greenwich; the area in front of the station is in Bexley. That's why.

The turn off the A2 is in Greenwich; the area in front of the station is in Bexley. That's why.

So did both authorities or neither come up with such a retarded idea? If the answer is neither then who was it?

I only ask as I'm aware that you stood in the last election so might know these things.

• Sponsored links:

• My patch during much of my childhood in the 60s early 70s.

Went to Westwood Scrubs skool.

Remember the A2 when it was just a 3 lane road (with 'suicide' overtaking lane in the middle), and the houses sat well back from the road.
    Policeman used to stop traffic to let schoolkids across the road.

I've still got one of the Falconwood station signs nicked for a dare when I was a yoof. It's in the shed now.

Turn left the houses cost 400k upwards, houses by the station 200k+ thats more likely the reason ; )

Gone all militant again : (

• Is the Falconwood pub still there ?

Disco there every Wednesday night in the hall at the side in the Seventies !!!

Yes I know,    Old bastard
  • edited June 2011
    Is the Falconwood pub still there ?

Disco there every Wednesday night in the hall at the side in the Seventies !!!

Yes I know,    Old bastard

Oh yes!

Edit................Oh yes, to the pub still being there ; )

• My patch during much of my childhood in the 60s early 70s.

Went to Westwood Scrubs skool.

Remember the A2 when it was just a 3 lane road (with 'suicide' overtaking lane in the middle), and the houses sat well back from the road.
    Policeman used to stop traffic to let schoolkids across the road.

I've still got one of the Falconwood station signs nicked for a dare when I was a yoof. It's in the shed now.
    Thieving ****!
  • Falconwood used to be a delightful place to visit, I hear it all went down hill when some spotty oik nicked the sign at the local train station?
  • Is he still on Falconwoods 'most wanted' list by the way?
  • Falconwood used to be a delightful place to visit, I hear it all went down hill when some spotty oik nicked the sign at the local train station?
    I heard that. Apparently newcomers didn't know whether they had reached the place or not so carried onto the next stop - hence Falconwood becoming a barren wasteland (with an impressive electricity station though!)
  • edited June 2011
    Now I feel terrible. I'd better bring the station sign back - didn't realise anybody had missed it during these last 40 years.
    Anyway the next stop is Welling .....and all the delights of a best forgotten one-horse town.

The Falcon Pub used to do live music in the early 70's - saw some decent bands there .......Pink Fairies, Manfred Mann's Earth Band,.
    Also saw Heads, Hands & Feet who had a chart hit at the time.
  • 2 x great curry houses on the parade.

I attend the Church at the Green, regularly!

The area is nothing special, but special to some!