Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transferring recorded programs from one Sky HD box to a new Sky HD box

edited June 2011 in Troubleshooting
Has anyone done this?

Just had a call from sky saying they want to give me a free new HD box but they have to take the old one away. I have a number of recorded programs on my HD Box (not in HD format) that I would like to back up and copy onto the new box. I have spent the last hour Googling this problem, but, without understanding all the techno speak, get the impression it can’t be done, which seems crazy.

Comments

• It makes sense that you can't do it, otherwise whats to stop naughty people copying from box to PC to DVD? 
    Have you called Sky and asked them?
  • Why do sky want to give you a new one in the first place ?
  • Naughty people can record straight to recordable DVD and VHS without having sky +

If you google "how can i record from sky to dvd" there are answers 

• It makes sense that you can't do it, otherwise whats to stop naughty people copying from box to PC to DVD? 
    Have you called Sky and asked them?

I am not looking to watch these programs on the PC. Sky programs are stored using Sky's own format. If you wanted to make DVDs you would have to get hold of some pretty niffty software to convert the files.

I asked the lady on the phone but she had no clue. Just said I would definitely lose it all.

• edited June 2011
    Why do sky want to give you a new one in the first place ?
    Apparently in 2009 they replaced 90,000 HD boxes made by Pace because of a fault. Mine is a Thomson and I think it is to do with making it compatible with their new Anytime Plus features.
  • http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/index.php
    Thanks. This looks like it might be exactly what I need. I just hope it is not too technical and does not involve spending a fortune on cables and adaptors!
  • Does the old box have component out? Red green blue red and White - five sockets if so it may be possible to record from it as I understand analogue hi def is unprotected and can be recorded if you have the right gear. If so probably the reason they are replacing older boxes.
  • If you have a DVD recorder it's simply to record the programmes to DVD but time consuming.

No idea about transfering form one box to another though.

• edited June 2011

Just found this on Wiki. It explains why Sky are offering me a free new HD box.

'Sky Anytime+ began a staggered roll out from 26 October 2010. In march 2011 it was confirmed by sky that the Thomson sky hd boxes would not be suitable for the new anytime+ service. Customers with Thomson boxes are being offerd New boxes.'

• Sponsored links:

• Can you not record to a DVD recorder -most of the programmes shouldn't be protected
  • Just found this on Wiki. It explains why Sky are offering me a free new HD box.

'Sky Anytime+ began a staggered roll out from 26 October 2010. In march 2011 it was confirmed by sky that the Thomson sky hd boxes would not be suitable for the new anytime+ service. Customers with Thomson boxes are being offerd New boxes.'

Obviously just an oversight on Sky's behalf....................they forgot to mention in a year to eighteen months anytime will only be available on subscription, I was told by a Sky agent that they roll it out foc for a period of time so that everyone gets used to having it and then bring in the charge at a later date. Which when you think back its exactly how they have done it with most if not all the premium channels. It catches me everytime : (
  • time to turn to freesat HD, anything that's any good eventually goes terrestrial - except premiership footy and how often were we on it away from home anyway?