Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

would you prefere winning the league or winning play offs?

edited May 2011 in General Charlton
Weird question, but my mate said he would prefere the play offs as there would be more excitement, however (for obvious reasons) winning the league means you have that feeling of safety, what do you think?

Comments

• well if we're guaranteed to win, then the play offs
  • league. 'champions' is just sounds better go up as champions.
  • champions.   No doubt
  • Take the league any day, even second place. That means we will have had a better season and therefore more wins watched during the season. Plus it gives the players an extra couple of weeks off.
    Same, if it's 100% win the play-offs or win the league, I couldn't turn down that (winning) day at Wembley.
  • League. A season in complete control of the league would be bliss.
    Same, if it's 100% win the play-offs or win the league, I couldn't turn down that (winning) day at Wembley.
    at Old Trafford
  • Play offs
    at Old Trafford
    I thought it was a question for next season and not changing the course of this, play-off only at OT because of the CL final.

I'd still choose play-offs even at OT.
  • edited May 2011
    What was the most memorable- winning the play off final at Wembley or the League Championship?. That answers the question I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Take Winning The League By Far, Or 2nd Place!!
  • Would rather win the league or go up in second but I wouldn't be upset if we missed out and ended up in the play-offs. They are brilliant but I spend the whole week a nervous wreck.
  • i'm watching the play offs right now actually at OT, and i have seen a a player i have been watching for a while, Tomlin, he can carry the ball really well... extremely of topic!
  • Watching it too, is that the same Tomlin that played for Yeovil when they beat us 1-0 at the Valley in the Carling Cup 1st round 2008?

I remember thinking he was a decent player and he was having the run of midfield that night.
  • League from this division then Play Offs for the Championship.
  • When we first went down to League 1 we all thought it would be just for the one season. At that time I said first or second please. The play-offs are too much of a lottery and also, with a couple of exceptions, we are rubbish in knock-out competitions.
  • well we didn't play to badly against totenham in the F.A cup!
  • Why kap said.

Anything to get out of this league. Playoffs in champ
  • League.

My nerves and ticker won't take play-offs!

• edited May 2011
    What was the most memorable- winning the play off final at Wembley or the League Championship?. That answers the question I think.
    For us of course, that Wembley play off was better than winning the league.  But there's two crucial differences between that and what we might normally expect:
    1. Our play off final was something else.  There's never been one like it, and maybe there never will.  The nearest I can think of was when Man City turned it around right at the end against the Gills, but even that doesn't come close to the excitement in ours.
    2. When we won the league we limped over the line failing to win in our last seven matches.  
    So most league wins are more comfortable than our last one.  No play-offs are as exciting as ours.  It's not a fair comparison.  That day in 1998 was unbelievably good, but next time we get promoted I want us doing it via the total-dominance route.  
  • Sponsored links:

• agrred stig or win on the last game exciting
  • OK ask yourself this.  Who would you rather we had played like this season - Brighton or Peterborough?
  • League, more time to sign players
  • Play-Offs, Never been Wembley yet. Don't feel to 'cheat' the magic by going to an England match.
  • Any which way as long as we go up.
  • Play offs but only just as winning the league means you get to crow about being the best
  • The league.
  • I will remember 1998 till the day I die. The smells, the beer. the tears, the hatrick, Gray, Peter Reid, The penalties, Sasa Ilic, the conga on Blackheath, the hangover and the songs from Squeeze.

I remember bits about the title win, but not a lot. Playoffs bring memories when you win, Parkinson was 15 minutes and one match away from doing something that might have even superseeded 1998, but that's life.
  • Everyone saying play-offs, have you asked any Sunderland fans how they feel about '98?
  • League all day for me