Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

VPNs

Does anyone use VPN's to access UK website content (BBC and iPlayer especially) from overseas?

I've been recommended Banana VPN - does anyone here use it? Any good?

Cheers

ZB

Comments

• I've got a VPL, if that's any good
  • I read this as VPL's. That's a much better subject.
  • Dirty minds!
  • are you talking about proxies? If so my Dad uses one to access iplayer as he has satelite broadband which is based from Italy and therefore shows up as non uk ip.

• edited May 2011
    If you have a UK-based machine that you have access to 24/7, then you could use one of the web-based ssl vpns (logmein is awesome - and free). However, it depends what you want to do with it. I doubt you could watch any streaming content over it, for instance.
  • Banana VPN has a reputation of sometimes being a little bit slow.
  • Banana VPN has a reputation of sometimes being a little bit slow.
    But I've heard you can watch fruity websites on it
  • I am also interested in a good one.

I have used one but it's a bit slow for streaming/iplayer even with my new 20Mb line, so I am looking to change. It went down on Sunday when I wanted to listen to Radio 5 Live for the last day of the EPL season. Fortunately Talksport didn't cut off at 3pm like Five. Also it got recognised by Catchup TV as being a VPN and got blocked. That is something you need to be aware of.

Need to watch Countdown soon, after looking at the latest pictures in the long-running thread.

• the more i read of this the more proxy sounds like a better solution
  • Sponsored links:

• I use my private network, 5 quid a month. Only be using it for about 3 weeks but so far so good.
  •  

the more i read of this the more proxy sounds like a better solution

Cheers razil. With proxy can I view content that's meant for 'UK users only' from overseas?
  • Zinedine. A proxy is a server that you connect to which then connects to your chosen website and back to you (man in the middle) fooling the website you are viewing into thinking your PC is in the region permitted.
    I have reviewed many free to use proxies but find them more hassle than they are worth and come with much spyware, malware etc.
    Exiled_Addick's suggestion is a good one i would recommend.

https://www.my-private-network.co.uk/
  • I use personalVPN, the second product down on this page: http://www.witopia.net/index.php/products/

I've had it for a year now, never had a single problem with it. Can connect to 60-odd proxies workdwide so I can watch US-only content on Hulu, for example, as well as UK. There are several UK servers so if one goes down (has happened only once) you can just switch to a different one.
  • Check this out https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn/vpn-service-provider

I get it free with www.giganews.com and they have just announced a UK server.
  • Never use an open proxy. Never. Never. Hope that's clear and helpful enough. Never. You WILL get f***ed. Think about it for a second - who is likely to be running open proxies, and for what end?

my-v-p-n looks decent, that would be worth a shot.
  • Thanks for all the advice, very helpful indeed.   
  • proxy is ok if you switch it off when not using, can't see the harm myself particulary if you don't have a static ip, I'll dig out my old mans one if you like

• Unless you're not passing any information at all (passwords, usernames you may have used elsewhere, credit card info, login details for other sites, your email account etc etc) then using an anonymous proxy is the most insecure thing you can do on the internet.
  • Unless you're not passing any information at all (passwords, usernames you may have used elsewhere, credit card info, login details for other sites, your email account etc etc) then using an anonymous proxy is the most insecure thing you can do on the internet.
    Other than ask people on a chat site if they like you or not
  • Sponsored links:

• which presumably you wouldn't be doing while using the proxy to watch tv? agree tho
    Unless you're not passing any information at all (passwords, usernames you may have used elsewhere, credit card info, login details for other sites, your email account etc etc) then using an anonymous proxy is the most insecure thing you can do on the internet.