Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Warning ! You've been "Charltonised"

Categories:

Bronze range
Player that arrived at Charlton with a good reputation only to regress dramatically while here, never to recover his earlier form again - Honourary patron - Neil Redfearn

Platinum range

Player that was ok / good before he arrived, shite here, before coming ok / good again somewhere else - Honourary patron - Darren Ambrose

Who else fits into those categories ?

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited March 2011
    Silver Range
    Player that arrived at Charlton as a promising prospect and the world at his feet only to show nothing. Then moved elsewhere and set the league on fire - Honourary patron - Scott Sinclair
  • Bronze range
    JFH
    Platinum range
    Varney
  • edited March 2011
    that's a platinum range contender, surely WSS ??

Bronze range
    Neil Redfearn
    Jimmy Floyd Piggybank

Platinum range
    Darren Ambrose
    Scott Sinclair
    Luke Varney
  • Platinum - Luke Varney
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Silver Range
    Player that arrived at Charlton as a promising prospect and the world at his feet only to show nothing. Then moved elsewhere and set the league on fire - Honourary patron - Scott Sinclair

Did you see the Swansea hi-lights at the weekend?, what a performance and goal by Sinclair
  • dennis rommedahl top player for denmark(still) disapointing for charlton apart from winner at palace
  • Bronze Range - Kyel Reid
  • Gold Range

Players that arrive here as shit and continue to be shit and who don't give a shit.
    Honourary patron - Alan McCormack
    followed by ......................too many to mention
  • Fake Gold
    Player is signed for a fee over £3million, plays a handful of games then injures his knee and retires - Honorary Patron - Gary Rowett
  • How about a BROWN RANGE:

Players that were shite when they came and shite when they left?
  • Sponsored links:

• Where would Matt Spring fit in? Very average, seems to be half decent for Orient.
  • [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Silver Range

Did you see the Swansea hi-lights at the weekend?, what a performance and goal by Sinclair
    That goal was outrageous! I can't believe he played for us.

Bonze Range
    - Leroy Lita.

What about Scott Carson, did well here before things started to go wrong?
  • Bronze range:

Francis Jeffers
  • [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]How about a BROWN RANGE:

Players that were shite when they came and shite when they left?
    Brown Range - Paddy McCarthy.
  • [cite]Posted By: clivey_hero[/cite]Gold Range

Players that arrive here earning a living as a professional footballer yet are clearly crowd stewards.
    Honourary patron - Alan McCormack
    followed by ......................too many to mention
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Categories:

Bronze range
    Player that arrived at Charlton with a good reputation only to regress dramatically while here, never to recover his earlier form again - Honourary patron - Neil Redfearn

I'd argue against this one. I seem to remember a Barnsley fan coming on to NetAddicks when we signed him claiming he was one of the reasons they went down. Yes he scored a handful of eye-catching goals, but the Barnsley fan contended that he did absolutely nothing else and left then short-handed in midfield. With that in mind his season with us was just a case of fewer goals and other than that no difference, and you could argue the fewer goals were due to teams having sussed him out and closing him down quicker. There are an awful lot of players who score a load in their first season in the prem and then the goals dry up as opponents work them out, I'd argue Redfearn was just another in that long line, a goal scoring midfielder who offered very little else and who's game was worked out by the opposition.
  • Bronze:
    Izale McLeod
    Lee Cook
    Gary Doherty

Platinum:
    Carlton Cole
  • edited March 2011
    Bronze:
    Francis
    Doc
    McLeod
    Jeffers

Platinum:
    Sinclair (probably be second to Tarabbt for Championship player of the year)
    Varney
    Ambrose- especially last season
    Rommedahl
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]that's a platinum range contender, surely WSS ??

Bronze range
    Neil Redfearn
    Jimmy Floyd Piggybank

Platinum range
    Darren Ambrose
    Scott Sinclair
    Luke Varney

In their defence both Redfearn and JFH were at the end of their careers when they came to us. Redfearn had also only have one decent season and was a real journeyman.

I also think Scott Sinclair wasn't given much of a chance in a declining side with about 200 loan players in it. He had also had a loan spell before he came to us with Plymouth where he was outstanding.

In fact, the more I look at the names on these lists the more I believe that it was due to our inadequate treatment of the players than the players themselves that caused them to under perform with us.

Something that doesn't seem to have changed since Curbishley left.

I'd add Souleman Diwara to the Platinum range, he was very expensive, he hardly set the world alight and has been in the Champions League every season since he left us!
  • Excellent post,
    First time I have enjoyed/laughed at anything Charlton for weeks!
  • Sponsored links:

• What about a Green (Homegrown, Tree Hugging, Eco Friendly) Category?

Very good youth prospect. Hopeless in the 1st Team. Moved On Only To Prove Themselves.

Patron - Kevin Lisbie
  • Wood range - those who never ever make an appearance for Charlton yet go on and make several appearances for their next club. Honourary patron - Cory Gibbs
  • how about the Polished Turd award

players who were guff - came to us and flourished - honourary patron Danny Mills
  • [cite]Posted By: Ross[/cite]Wood range - those who never ever make an appearance for Charlton yet go on and make several appearances for their next club. Honourary patron - Cory Gibbs
    'Unfortunately Cory Gibbs, Karim Bagheri and Omar Pouso are unable to be with us here tonight but we do have this video message...'
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ross[/cite]Wood range - those who never ever make an appearance for Charlton yet go on and make several appearances for their next club. Honourary patron - Cory Gibbs
    'Unfortunately Cory Gibbs, Karim Bagheri and Omar Pouso are unable to be with us here tonight but we do have this video message...'

Pouso and Bagheri are veterans of half a game each I believe - if anything they should be inthe lifetime achievement awards
  • PLATINUM:

Dennis Rommedahl
    Luke Varney
    Darren Ambrose
    Lee Martin
    No doubt Pawel Abbot
  • edited March 2011
    Bronze?
    Todorov - but at least he scored us the winning goal to beat the scum Palace 1-0 at Selhurst. On the 1st September 2007, So maybe that hits the boundaries of silver?
  • lol good post

soooo many to mention.

bronze ANDY JONES
  • edited March 2011
    BWP is showing all the symptoms of turning into a bronze. Started off well but is now slowly being Charltonised and drained of any usefulness or talent.

Throw in Benson to that category as well.
  • andy jones help keep us up in division one in 88/89 season