Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your Books for World Book Day

which is today.

The book that inspired you

The book that you loved as a child

The book that you would take with you to a desert island

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should

Comments

• The book that inspired you - If this is a man - Primo Levi Concentration camp survivor

The book that you loved as a child - The Wizard of Oz. read it over and over again

The book that you would take with you to a desert island Shoeless Joe Jackson come to Iowa - WP Kinsella

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - Dickens. Couldn't get into him when told to read it at School and really think I should go back and give him another try
  • The book that inspired you... The Alchemist - Paolo Coelho

The book that you loved as a child... The Upstairs Room - Johanna Reiss

The book that you would take with you to a desert island... His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass) - Phillip Pullman

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should... The Sookie Stackhouse Novels - Charlaine Harris
  • The book that inspired you... Various essays by George Orwell. I was a bit obssessed with Orwell as a teenager. Essays like "Politics and the English Language" have shaped the way I think.

The book that you loved as a child... Danny, Champion of the World by Roald Dahl.

The book that you would take with you to a desert island... Vanity Fair - William Thakeray. Coudl be something entirely different tomorrow.

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should... Don Quixote - Cervantes
  • edited March 2011
    The book that inspired you... A Child Called It

The book that you loved as a child Adrian Moles/ Anything by Enid Blyton

The book that you would take with you to a desert island The Mosquito Coast (mainly for survival tips and again to remind me why Id gone there).

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should Che by Paul Anderson. Massive book that's sat on my shelf for about ten years after i bought it Oxfam. Get about a 1/4 of the way through and put it down as too immense. Motor Cycle diaries ruined it too after finding out the protaganist dies at the end it has spoiled it (joke)
  • The book that inspired you ,The book that you loved as a child, The book that you would take with you to a desert island - The same book
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - Shakespere - couldn't stand him but feel I should have tried harder
  • [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]
    The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - Shakespere - couldn't stand him but feel I should have tried harder

He had a fit sister.
  • The book that inspired you - 'Sophie Scholl and the White Rose' - Dumbach

The book that you loved as a child - 'The Lord of the Rings' - Tolkien

The book that you would take with you to a desert island - 'Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit' - Wodehouse or 'The Complete Sherlock Holmes' - Conan-Doyle

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - The Bible
  • Alternatively:
    The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - 'Close to the Edge; My Autobiography' - Jim Davidson
  • The book that inspired you The Silver Darlings

The book that you loved as a child Stig of the dump and Davy Jones Locker

The book that you would take with you to a desert island Pillars of the earth

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should Mein Kampf
  • The book that inspired you - On the Road - Jack kerouac.

The book that you loved as a child - None - I read comics (Beano and The Victor) and the sports section of the Daily Express.

The book that you would take with you to a desert island - The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee
  • Sponsored links:

• The book that inspired you: A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (it's never too late - people can change and should always be given that chance)

The book that you loved as a child: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis

The book that you would take with you to a desert island: SAS survival hanbook or something similar

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should: 1984
  • Slightly off-topic, but how about these as books which were never written, but should have been?

"Teach yourself to read" - a self-help primer for the illiterate

"Holiday romances and how to avoid them" - perfect for relaxation on the beach

"How to escape from a desert island" - if you could only take one book along ...
  • The book that inspired you - Lucky, Alice Sebold

The book that you loved as a child - The Borrowers series

The book that you would take with you to a desert island - Harry Potter, so I could burn it to cook my fish on!

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - Lord of the Rings
  • The book that inspired you - Ringolevio - Emmett Grogan

The book that you loved as a child - The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit - Tolkien

The book that you would take with you to a desert island - The Drifters - James Michener

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - Midnights's Children - Salman Rushdie
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Dickens. Couldn't get into him when told to read it at School and really think I should go back and give him another try

Try 'Our Mutual Friend' ... long but excellent book with London as the predominant backdrop
  • The book that inspired you - Play in a Day - Bert Weedon (no really)

The book that you loved as a child - The Rats - James Herbert (read it over and over, crapped myself when I was 11, love Herbert)

The book that you would take with you to a desert island - Clapton - Eric Clapton or Life - Keith Richards -(Probably Keef)

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - The Bible - God (I should do, but probably wont)
  • Book that inspired - The Making of the English Landscape by W G Hoskins

Book that loved as a child - the Lone Pine series of adventure books by Malcolm Saville

Book to a desert island - one that tells me how to identify poisonous plants and catch fish.

Book that have never got round to reading but think I should - Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust
  • The book that inspired you - The Habit of Being: Letters of Flannery O'Connor

The book that you loved as a child - Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

The book that you would take with you to a desert island - Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust
  • edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: HarryAMuse[/cite]The book that inspired you - The Habit of Being: Letters of Flannery O'Connor

The book that you loved as a child - Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

The book that you would take with you to a desert island - Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust

Blimey we have some cultured Charlton Fans on this board
  • edited March 2011
    The book that inspired you - Post Office - Charles Bukowski

The book that you loved as a child - The Lord of the Rings - Tolkien

The book that you would take with you to a desert island - Finnegan's Wake - James Joyce

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - A Dance to the Music of Time - Anthony Powell
  • Sponsored links:

• The book that inspired you: Secret Seven - Enid Blyton

The book that you loved as a child: Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

The book that you would take with you to a desert island: War and Peace - Tolstoy

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should: See previous answer, just read Anna Karenina so a step in the right direction.
  • The book that inspired you
    Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (got me into scag)
    The book that you loved as a child
    Lord of the Rings JRR Tolkien
    The book that you would take with you to a desert island
    American Tabloid James Ellroy
    The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should
    Fly Fishing JR Hartley
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you shouldChe by Paul Anderson. Massive book that's sat on my shelf for about ten years after i bought it Oxfam. Get about a 1/4 of the way through and put it down as too immense. Motor Cycle diaries ruined it too after finding out the protaganist dies at the end it has spoiled it (joke)
    Puts me in mind of my experience with the bible. The priest was busy explaining that I should read it, but hanging behind the altar is the biggest plot spoiler in history. No way am I ploughing through 2000 pages of preachy nonsense only to find out that the romans nail beardy onto a cross. It's as bad as the cover of the Planet of the Apes DVD (a picture of Charlton Heston kneeling in front of the statue of liberty). Crazy fiddler.
  • The book that inspired you - The Pianist - Władysław Szpilman.

The book that you loved as a child - any Dr Seuss - It's how I learned to read!

The book that you would take with you to a desert island - Treasure Island!

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins. FACT ;-)

The book I manage PR for!... shameless plug... OUT TODAY!
  • The book I manage PR for!... shameless plug... OUT TODAY![/quote]

"I love this book! Ursula strips off her logical, left-brained, hypnotherapists cloak to reveal some
    deeply personal insights into how moon magic and psychic skills have become a part of her life."

Sorry, but I'm out
  • edited March 2011
    The book that you would take with you to a desert island - Razzle year book 2010 (laminated edition)
  • Would love to join in this thread, but sadly i don't remember ever reading a book as a child other than a football annual, and since then its only really been the occassional sporting autobiography. I reckon the number of fiction books i've read fully in my life is less than five.

Have never really understand where other than on holiday, anyone gets the time to read a book. Train maybe, but then when do you read a newspaper ??

Strange really, as i enjoy writing !
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Would love to join in this thread, but sadly i don't remember ever reading a book as a child other than a football annual, and since then its only really been the occassional sporting autobiography. I reckon the number of fiction books i've read fully in my life is less than five.

Have never really understand where other than on holiday, anyone gets the time to read a book. Train maybe, but then when do you read a newspaper ??

Strange really, as i enjoy writing !

You went to grammar school. you must have had to read a book then.
  • edited March 2011
    We may have been meant to read it, which is different to actually reading it !

Actually don't think we ever had to read a book in full in English, just extracts etc. Only one i can ever remember reading in school was bits from a book to do with racism in old America. EDIT, bit of google searching tells me it was To Kill A Mockingbird

Johnboy may well correct me and say we were churning through a book every week, but i can't remember any.
  • I wonder how many of our players have read a book....