Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A constructive analysis of our defence

edited January 2011 in General Charlton
With the January Transfer window slowly beginning to close tonight I've been repeatedly checking the CAFC website for news of us signing a defender . . . or two (including Bessone)
With this in mind, I thought I'd share my thoughts on our 11 (!!) first team defenders - I dont want this to turn into a post where I simply slate our defence so I hope you fellow Addicks can offer some positive insight if I seem harsh -

Doherty / Dailly - I respect these two a great deal but I am concerned at their lack of pace in a league where a lot of strikers seem to be remarkably nippy.
Francis - A decent enough player for Southend (who were relegated with him) who just doesn't seem to cut it for us. I think a lot of fans get on his back which may have affected his confidence?? Seems a good lad
Youga - doesn't seem to have played since 2009 due to a serious injury
Miguel Llera – A cracking passionate player, crocked back in November. I’m not too sure when he’s set to return?
Mambo – Think he’s only played once for us this season and has been sent out on loan to Eastbourne. Doesn’t seem to be cutting it at our level and sadly for him I think he’s warming the bench at Eastbourne lately
Fry – On loan from West Ham, apparently we’re bracing ourselves to lose him back to his parent club next weekend. He’s been pretty good for us, fairly technical young player. Shame to see him go.
Solly – A product of our youth, decent young player injured towards end of 2010 but due to return soon. Is he going to be knocking on the door of the senior team again?
Fortune – This may attract some criticism, I obviously don’t know this chap personally but I don’t feel his heart is in playing for us, since his return in 2010 the 7 league games he’s played for us we’ve lost 4, drawn 2 and won only 1. I’d be happy to see him released.
Jenkinson – I don’t know too much about him, other than he’s recently returned from a fairly productive loan at Eastbourne
Bessone - We will see
So, what are your thoughts, am I being harsh on Fortune - I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong on Tuesday and score a hat trick. Should I have more faith in our youth and the knowledge that someday Youga may grace us with his presence??

And when are the Valley Superstore going to start selling Miguel Llera style helmets?!

Comments

• Harsh on Fortune to say his heart isn't in it. This is a man who played for us with a broken toe without painkillers (as he apparently has an allergy) a few years back. The truth of the matter in my opinion is that he has not completely recovered from his ruptured achilles tendon and simply lacks the mobility he once had.
  • I think the word "attack" doesn't really go with consructive.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I think the word "attack" doesn't really go with consructive.[/quote]

Yeah I can see your point, what other word could i use to make it sound less harsh?
  • [cite]Posted By: CHARL7ON[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I think the word "attack" doesn't really go with consructive.

Yeah I can see your point, what other word could i use to make it sound less harsh?

A constructive analysis of our defence?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: CHARL7ON[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I think the word "attack" doesn't really go with consructive.[/quote]

Yeah I can see your point, what other word could i use to make it sound less harsh?[/quote]

A constructive analysis of our defence?[/quote]

Job done