Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Akpo Sodje set for Charlton exit

edited January 2011 in General Charlton
Exclusive: Akpo Sodje set for Charlton exit
Thursday, 27 January 2011

By Richard Cawley

AKPO Sodje is poised to leave Charlton after a number of approaches for his services.

The Greenwich-born striker has seen his first-team hopes hit after the arrival of Bradley Wright-Phillips from Plymouth and the loan capture of Liverpool's Nathan Eccleston.

And Charlton boss Chris Powell has confirmed that Sodje could be on his way.

He told the South London Press: "I've had three clubs on for him and he may be able to go and play regularly elsewhere."

To see the full story - plus interviews with Scott Wagstaff and Ben Roberts - don't miss tomorrow's South London Press.

Comments

• cor, things really are looking up !!
  • no more hoof it up the park football,
    tra la la lala , la la la la!!
  • Abbott next :-)
  • edited January 2011
    Expected him or Abbott to go once we signed BWP, we have one striker too many.

Was ok as a squad player, can't moan about his scoring record for us, but we now the money to afford and attract better.
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]no more hoof it up the park football,
    tra la la lala , la la la la!!
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Abbott next :-)
    We need at least one big striker as a different option IMO. With less long balls and all these pacey strikers to potentially play alongside Abbott would surely play better than he has done so far.
  • Got a lot of time for Sodje. On his day he causes all sorts of problems for the other team and he's notched a few important goals.

But we move on. Doesn't leave us with much in terms of big imposing forwards beyond Super Joe who we know is made of paper.

Good luck to you Sodj.
  • I'm a bit disappointed if he goes as I think he is better and more effective than Abbot.

He has scored a few goals but has had a few injuries which have held him back this season.

When he last played he came on and got us a penatly and created havoc vs Yeovil and MK I think it was, more than I've seen Abbott do this season.
  • edited January 2011
    Will be very interested to see where he ends up. May shock a few and get a CCC club. Personally think he'll stay in League One, someone like Dagenham I expect.

I'd keep Akpo over Abbott but Akpo must be more in demand.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Doesn't leave us with much in terms of big imposing forwards beyond Super Joe who we know is made of paper.
    He's strong but he's not actually big, 5 ft 8 according to most sites.
  • what about shifty coochi, used to play for the tractor boys, just left Swansea?
  • Would rather keep him than Abbott tbh.

I dont rate him that much but he bullied Leeds last season and was probably having his best game against Norwich before he limped off. Havent seen Abbott get anywhere near that yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Akpo was not the best but an honest pro who had the nack of finding space in the box. not the best finisher but he cared
  • This was his moment at Charlton...

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_sodje2.gif

That & Kyel Reid at Southend were the 2 most celebrated goals last season for me.
  • edited January 2011
    A lovely family, it will be sad to have no Sodjes, but I wish Akpo every success at his next club. Someone will be very happy to have an honest and caring player.
  • Im a bit dissapointed tbh.

He is more agile than Abbott. More mobility, more speed. Id rather we kept Akpo and got rid of Abbott :(
  • Maybe both will be off
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]A lovely family, it will be sad to have no Sodjes, but I wish Akpo every success at his next club. Someone will be very happy to have an honest and caring player.[/quote]

With you there.
  • doubt if anybody will take Abbot- think Sodje is an impact player that a few might want but can't understand Abbots attributes or how he scored a few last season
  • edited January 2011
    Wish him all the best but it was clear he was 4th choice before Eccles and BWP came in. Like him as an impact player especially when he is fit and firing (Yeovil/Bristol Rovers) but he does frustrate immensly and can look very non league at times so won't be too disappointed to see him go especially if Joe can maintain form and fitness and the new guys start banging them in.

Prefer Sodje to Abbott as am not at all a fan of Pav's and think we may have seen the last of the Sodjes at Charlton.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]I'm a bit disappointed if he goes as I think he is better and more effective than Abbot.

He has scored a few goals but has had a few injuries which have held him back this season.

When he last played he came on and got us a penatly and created havoc vs Yeovil and MK I think it was, more than I've seen Abbott do this season.

this
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]doubt if anybody will take Abbot- think Sodje is an impact player that a few might want but can't understand Abbots attributes or how he scored a few last season

Dave Penney managed him at Darlington and Oldham. Maybe he'll want him again with the Gas.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2011
    2 starts 19 sub appearances this season .... 1 goal ....

i'll be pleased for him to go

good honest pro but there are plenty of them who are crap as well
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]I'm a bit disappointed if he goes as I think he is better and more effective than Abbot.

this

ditto
  • Would have to agree with others that i'd rather Abbott went than Sodje
  • I think Abbot and Sodje were the kind of players that we got becasue didnt have much other choice now with a bit wonger about I see a lot of these bargian Parky buys heading out. Rumors I hear are linking with a move back to one if his former clubs Port Vale.
  • Would rather see Abbott go. Sodje will always be useful on the bench particularly at home if sides come and park the bus and we can't break them down.

In that scenario there's nothing wrong with lumping balls into the box for the last 10-15 mins.
  • Yeah, Eusebio was magic. Dunno what mushrooms our 'scouts' were taking. Maybe Youtube was down?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykpjFjsEdl4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • I'm not sure about a Charlton team with no Sodjes.
    I would rahter Abbott went but I suspect it may be to do with the number of approaches we have received for Akpo versus the number we have received for Abbot (ie non).
  • edited January 2011
    I guess in reality it was between Akpo and Pavel if a striker had to go.

I just hope we don't regret it given how injury prone Joe and BWP appear to be.

On what we have seen I'd say Akpo was the better player but Pavel came in with a decent reputation at this level so hopefully SCP will bring out his good qualities.

I like Akpo though and wish him all the best if he does end up going.
  • I'd rather keep Sodje than Abbott and Sodje is a bit more threatening and more of a nuisance to defences in the box. I can see both going in this window to be honest. Abbott has been linked with Bristol Rovers as they have Penney as manager and he is looking for a striker.
  • I'd prefer Sodje to stay to be honest. Abbott is the one we should look to move on elsewhere. Its great to have Ecclestone and BWP, my only worry is the fitness of BWP and his knee problems...