Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Beware the Manager Cult

I am always wary of religious cults so some posts and threads on CL in the last 24 hours have concerned me.

Some fans seem to be working themselves up into a frenzy of devotion for our new manager before he has even signed on the dotted line.

Any word of doubt or caution is being dismissed as a show of disloyalty, heresy almost. It seems that the option now is unswerving, unquestioning loyalty to the new manager or excommunication from the Valley faithful.

It is frighteningly reminiscent of the arrival of the last messiah at the Valley, Alan Pardew. He too was hailed, by most, as the second coming; a demi-god of football management who would save us from relegation. He turned out to have feet very much made of clay (and yes I see the irony of using a reference from the book of Daniel here).

Now before you issue a fatwa or organise a stoning for this non-believer I'll say how happy I am that he is returned. I wish him all the luck in the world and I so so want him to succeed. But then again I want every Charlton manager to succeed, those I like and those I don't, because I want the Club to succeed.

More than that I think he will succeed. He has served his time as a coach, got his badges, learnt his trade and he has the good fortune to pick up a semi-decent set of players in a position to challenge for at least the play-offs along with a new board willing, or so it would seem, to back him financially in the transfer/loan market.

But be warned. His team will lose games. His teams will play badly. How do I know? Because every manager loses games sometimes and every team plays badly at times. The successful teams and the successful managers just do it less than the rest.

There will be times too when his teams don't play like the current Barca team or 1960 Real Madrid side. Sometimes they will grind out results like every good team has to. You may even see a league one defender punt the ball 60 yards to clear his lines and give the defence the chance to re-shape. If I remember rightly there was a certain left back at Charlton, England international as well, who wasn't adverse to doing that when he needed to.

And when we lose or play badly there will be boos. Not from me but there will be boos because that is what people do. Not just at the Valley but every ground up and down the country. It's stupid but it happens. Hopefully it will be very rare and when it happens it will be drowned out by shouts of encouragement.

Those who are expressing doubts or pointing out his lack of experience are being honest and largely reflecting what many Charlton fans would have said (and have said) when similar appointments have been made at Newcastle and very recently at Palace.

They are not wishing failure on him but neither are they putting unrealistic burdens of expectation on the new guy's very human shoulders.

Comments

• What's a 'shout of engagement'?
  • edited January 2011
    agreed. Lets back Powell whatever the results and give him time to settle and build a side. He doesn't start with the best squad in the land (or even in League 1). He has a 3 and a half year deal and it could take most of that time to get us back to a decent league position.
  • Agree wholeheartedly.
  • I agree, Henry (you parade p****er ;-)), but as I've said on another thread I think Mr P. really does come with some (objectively) very special assets; despite his cheery persona, there's evidence of an impressive depth and breadth to his character and abilities. There's more to this man than to any manager of this club since the great Jimmy Seed. Of course, none of this guarantees his success in the job but, I'll tell you what, he's got all of the attributes that point to superior potential in any field or profession. So forgive me for, this time, feeling a little flush of optimism.
  • I'm not raining on any parade, I'm delighted as I've said.

Just thing some people are giving him almost supernatural powers and now you're saying there's more to him than Bailey, Curbs or Lennie.

He's a great guy but he's just a guy.
  • Good article, agree with all of it. One thing I would like to point out in relation to the following quote:

But then again I want every Charlton manager to succeed, those I like and those I don't, because I want the Club to succeed.

I want Chris Powell to succeed because I want the Club to succeed, but also because I want him to succeed because I like him and respect him and because of everything he did to make supporting Charlton that bit more enjoyable in his previous 3 spells here. I'd want to see him doing well whether it was at Charlton or in charge of Leicester or Southend or Manchester United. That's not been the case with any other manager since I've been supporting the club (possibly with the exception of Steve Gritt, too young to comment on that). If he doesn't do the business, I'll be as disappointed for him as I am for the Club.
  • I don't think you're raining on any parade but I do think you're underestimating other people's intelligence.

Yes, it's a risk. Yes, there will be some low periods when we question the wisdom of the decision. Yes, it could all go horribly wrong. Yes, it could take longer to turn it around than with an experienced manager. No, it will not turn us into Brazil 1970. No, he will not be able to feed us with a few loves and some fish.

I know all of that and I think most others do too. But a bit of light (temporary or otherwise) in what is a pretty dark tunnel is worthy of some mass happiness. It doesn't make us a Mansonlike cult. Just a few people enjoying the moment including me and I'm as half empty as they come.
  • Best article ever written on here.

Some people really need to get a grip
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I'm not raining on any parade, I'm delighted as I've said.

Just thing some people are giving him almost supernatural powers and now you're saying there's more to him than Bailey, Curbs or Lennie.

Of course he's just a guy and I'm not suggesting we sacrifice beasts and virgins at his altar. But I do think he brings a broader combination of assets and (ordinary human) abilities than any of the above (eg better people skills than Curbs), and I stand by that. As I said, this does not guarantee success because there are so many other inputs and influences in play, but I think he's got a good chance.
  • [cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I'm not raining on any parade, I'm delighted as I've said.

Of course he's just a guy and I'm not suggesting we sacrifice beasts and virgins at his altar. But I do think he brings a broader combination of assets and (ordinary human) abilities than any of the above (eg better people skills than Curbs), and I stand by that. As I said, this does not guarantee success because there are so many other inputs and influences in play, but I think he's got a good chance.

Not sure where you'd find the virgins in SE London : - )

Fair enough and I agree he has a lot of attributes but lets give him a chance to use them and not expect a second coming.
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree, Henry. Most of all, we have to give him time. There's not going to be an overnight transformation.
  • [cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite]I agree, Henry. Most of all, we have to give him time. There's not going to be an overnight transformation.

I'm sure the fans will but will the board?
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: charente addick[/cite]I don't think you're raining on any parade but I do think you're underestimating other people's intelligence.

Yes, it's a risk. Yes, there will be some low periods when we question the wisdom of the decision. Yes, it could all go horribly wrong. Yes, it could take longer to turn it around than with an experienced manager. No, it will not turn us into Brazil 1970. No, he will not be able to feed us with a few loves and some fish.

I know all of that and I think most others do too. But a bit of light (temporary or otherwise) in what is a pretty dark tunnel is worthy of some mass happiness. It doesn't make us a Mansonlike cult. Just a few people enjoying the moment including me and I'm as half empty as they come.

This. Unfortunately I found the article quite patronising.
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Best article ever written on here.

not having that.....

:-)
  • Henry your right some of the positive stuff on here is a bit over the top , but i reckon this is about the happiest moment i've had in the last 5 or so years as a Charlton fan , yes he is going to lose matches and get booed ( not by me , i don't do booing) but what it has given us is hope & optimism, which sadly , has been lacking.

Chris clearly needs lots of good spport around him , tactical nous , as well as the support of the fans , i feel like we are coming out of a dark tunnel , and the only way forward is up.

What surely it teaches the directors is you need continuity at the heart of a club , we've been missing it for the last 5 years , and i sincerely hope , that it can be brought back to Charlton , so my kids kids are not wallowing in dispair at how rubbish we are ( Like me) i hope Chris does well , and also that we continue to build beyond Chris , i think this job is a stepping stone for Chris to take over from Harry at Spurs , when he finally gets the England job, sorry if i've burst any ones bubble , but thats the way it is.

I would love to see us get back to the Prem and expand the ground to 40,000 as i want to see us taking on the big teams again , we've done it before , and we can do it again.
  • It is frighteningly reminiscent of the arrival of the last messiah at the Valley, Alan Pardew

How dare you even mention that big nosed twat in the same breath as Chris Powell
  • But MIA, Pardew came less than five years ago and there was similar adulation by some fans then just as some, not all, fans are going a bit over the top now.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]It is frighteningly reminiscent of the arrival of the last messiah at the Valley, Alan Pardew

How dare you even mention that big nosed twat in the same breath as Chris Powell

Not what you and plenty of others were saying at the time though.
  • edited January 2011
    I can understand some excitement but I agree and mentioned elsewhere that the levels of heretic accusations on here are just daft, Powell is an unknown quality as a Manager as its his first job, and for a Board who have stated pressured ambition to employ him must be a gamble? At the same time the man is Club legend, and always will be so I truly hope and wish him all success.
  • Well put.
    I would also have included that, as manager, Powell will make choices that we don't agree with, play formations that we don't like or sub the wrong player. Again because that's what managers do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well said Henry.
  • [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]Well put.
    I would also have included that, as manager, Powell will make choices that we don't agree with, play formations that we don't like or sub the wrong player. Again because that's what managers do.

good points, hadn't thought of that but of course he will.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Best article ever written on here.

not having that.....

:-)

Listen to your public!
  • I think it is a fair point......

I for one thought that Pardew would make a good manager for Charlton, so no great insight there then as a pundit!

The first requirement of any manager is to motivate, and if you cannot get motivated by Chris then there is something lacking in your personality, and will to win for the club/team.
    Whatever Chris goes on to do, and hopefully create a legacy of success that we as fan's are desperate for, he at least has unified the fan's. Some may well say for how long!.

I think the great majority of Charlton fan's are fair minded and will give him the chance to succeed! I really hope so, and that is where we come in!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]It is frighteningly reminiscent of the arrival of the last messiah at the Valley, Alan Pardew

hindsight is a wonderful thing ;-0
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]It is frighteningly reminiscent of the arrival of the last messiah at the Valley, Alan Pardew

As one of the few to express doubts at the time of Pardew's appointment I think you are comparing chalk and cheese Henry. People are going a little bit overboard about the appointment of CP because we've had such a rough time of it recently and the huge amount of goodwill felt towards the man. That's in no way a bad thing. I don't think anyone has said they expect us to storm the league, in fact almost 100% of the posts have recognised his biggest weakness and that it's maybe going to take some time. Pardew did have big expectations on him to get instant results Powelly's here for the long term I hope.

Parky had far more time than he could have reasonably expected before the crowd turned and if that were the case with him I don't think it's very likely people are going to be on Chris Powell's case if we go a few games without a win is it? Give people a little credit is what I'm saying I suppose.
  • Many of us credited Pardew, as a former player, with an understanding and appreciation of what it meant to be "Charlton." We didn't appreciate that his head had been turned in the intervening years to make him the egocentric t*** he became.

As a man Chris Powell is very, very different to Alan Pardew and much closer to what we hoped Pardew would be.

I am in the Parkinson was treated harshly camp but, given that it has happened, we have to move on and this is a bold, imaginative appointment that has the potential to unite the fans.

All that said Henry is right to point out that it won't all be plain sailing and, to quote MOG, those whose Mums won't let them go to Millwall will need to be metaphorically slapped down if / when they start booing our Sir Chris.
  • I understand your point although I think it is a case of stating the obvious.

Personally I think the collective adulation is far better than the collective apathy and sighs of recent years and whilst your point needs making I think it is a bit too early to begin pouring the rain of realism on our parade.

Give us a few days to be happy before the actual business of football gets in the way again.
  • I never classed Pardew as proper Charlton ever (i dont think)

alway thought of his as more stripey cack than Charlton.

TBH i didnt even like him as a player
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I can understand some excitement but I agree and mentioned elsewhere that the levels of heretic accusations on here are just daft, Powell is an unknown quality as a Manager as its his first job, and for a Board who have stated pressured ambition to employ him must be a gamble? At the same time the man is Club legend, and always will be so I truly hope and wish him all success.

Those of us that are pleased, some might even say excited, about his appointment are being told by those who always seem to know better to temper our expectations.

I would add that those expressing doubts, should likewise raise their expectations & give the guy a chance - why start finding reasons to criticise his appointment or feign apathy before a ball has even been kicked under his regime.

Those, like your goodself Razil, grumbling about his "lack of experience" should also give him a chance - you have about as much clue, as I or anyone else does whether this will work or not - there is certainly a precedent for managers with no experience becoming very succesful in their first job - Keegan, Howe, Sir Matt Busby, Bob Paisley etc etc etc - likewise there is an even longer list of first time failures - who knows!