Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: This New Manager Speculation Is Doing My Head In!

All this "who's going to be the next manager" is completely doing my head in.

I was happy when Dowie came, supportive of Sir Les, sceptical about Pardew, and prepared to give Parky a chance, although not after the disastrous first eight games. Since then I have been pro and con Parky in fairly equal measure.

I thought Hodgson was a great appointment for Liverpool, Burley was a decent shout at Palarse, Avram Grant would turn it around at West Ham and above all Capello was the man to lead England to glory on the World Cup stage.

I've come to the conclusion that I have absolutely no idea who would make a good manager of our club although if they told us Mourinho was coming I'd probably faint with pleasure! I am afraid that football club Directors are probably little better at making the right choices either.

I dislike the thought of Wise coming but you know, if I'm honest, I'm not certain that my fears, stoked up by other Lifers concerns, are correctly founded. What is clear from above is that appointing managers is very much a hit or miss affair except for the most gifted of them all. None of those names mentioned as an alternative to Wise are guaranteed to be successful.

For what its worth I like the thought of Poyet, or the bloke from Doncaster coming because they seem to be believers in the "beautiful game".

I have decided to park my worries, and leave the worrying to those whose job it is to decide.

It strikes me that there is a large slice of luck required in the choice of manager and that even ones with track records of success can be blown off course by many variables.

I want us to play at a higher level both in quality and league terms. In making their appointment, I just hope that our new Board is lucky one. If they are, I will be happy, whoever it turns out to be.

Comments

• Good post Bing but you forgot to say who you want ;0)
  • This process is going to be more secret than the takeover !
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Good post Bing but you forgot to say who you want ;0)

I think there might be a hint of a preference here, but I didn't want to remove the fence post completely from my a*se! :o)
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]For what its worth I like the thought of Poyet, or the bloke from Doncaster coming because they seem to be believers in the "beautiful game".
  • Ha ha .... nice one, Bing. Careful with those splinters!
    Having been spoiled watching Harry Gregory, Alan Campbell, Graham Moore and Keith Peacock in Eddie Firmani's promotion attempt of 1968-69, you obviously crave open attacking football.

;o)

Question for you:
    Would you be content for Charlton to play 'exhibition' football, be thoroughly entertained (exhilarated occasionally) but just miss out on promotion?

Or:
    Impregnable defence, gritty battling, and grounding out 1-0 and 0-0 scores but promotion in the bag?
  • Can't speak for Bing but at this stage I think anyone would be mental to choose the first option!

The best managers in my eyes are the ones that play to a certain system and prepare well (and are blessed with competent, semi-intelligent players)
  • I think it involves a lot of luck in getting the right person at the right time.

A manager's sucess can be down to numerous factors such as circumstances of the club, expectation, chemistry with the squad at their disposal and with the fans.

If a martian had watched our multi millionaire flops in South Africa turn into bewiledered schoolboys in the summer having being world beaters at club level leading up to it they would imagine Cappello to be exceedingly poor. Obviously his track record and achievment disproves this.

Similarly after Woy worked wonders at Fulham, beating Juventus and taking (our rightful) part in a European final and his previous successes would be overshowed by the catastrophe at Liverpool.

Same story with Ancelotti at Chelski and George Graham who was a success at Millwall, a legend at Arsenal but hasnt done much of note since.

Christ even Alan Pardew's newly promoted side hammered west ham last nigt and the whallies on sky will probably be tipping him for the England job.

Top class managers like Fergie and Wegner would be number ones on most peoples' lists after long stints of top class management. Whether they are the managerial geniuses or whether they got the right job for them at the right time will never be known and if either went to manage Gillingham, Southend or even Villa it wouldnt necessarily garner the same success.

Even Clough, the best man to never get the national gig had patchy periods he would probably forget, notably champions leeds where it appeared the players just couldnt relate to him from all accounts.

It is very subjective imo and so much luck involved. Im praying that our luck is in this time because we dont bloody half deserve some in this department.
  • edited January 2011
    Oggy, in the end, I suppose given those two diverse choices, I would prefer option 2. Could I ask you a couple of questions?

Do you think we are more likely to get promoted by playing

a) a passing game?
    b) a physical gritty & determined game?
  • Rodney, that's pretty much what I feel.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Oggy, in the end, I suppose given those two diverse choices, I would prefer option 2. I could ask you a couple of questions?

Do you think we are more likely to get promoted by playing

a) a passing game?
    b) a physical gritty & determined game?

It's the Third Division, Bing ........ so you have to play their game, otherwise you can't physically cope.
    So you have to do the job first.

But there'll be games that once you've got yourself in front, you can turn on the style.
    Lord knows, our goal difference needs it.

Promotion is built principally on results, the pretty passing stuff is lovely to watch and play it when it's right.
  • Oggy, in the end results do count.

Actually I don't think the two choices are mutually exclusive. A good footballing team should also be gritty and determined. What I prefer is the team encouraged to pass it, not hoof it. Its why I like Poyet's approach. All the while we've got the ball, they can't hurt us. It seems common sense to me.

We should play keep ball when we've got it and display determination and strength to get it back when they have it. That's the recipe for success at all levels of football in my view.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good piece
  • Thoughtful piece, Bing . I think there are many more Addicks than those posting on here that feel the way that you do.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Oggy, in the end results do count.

Actually I don't think the two choices are mutually exclusive. A good footballing team should also be gritty and determined. What I prefer is the team encouraged to pass it, not hoof it. Its why I like Poyet's approach. All the while we've got the ball, they can't hurt us. It seems common sense to me.

We should play keep ball when we've got it and display determination and strength to get it back when they have it. That's the recipe for success at all levels of football in my view.

I believe we're singing from the same hymn sheet, Bing.

Impregnable defence, gritty battling, and grounding out 1-0 and 0-0 scores doesn't necessarily mean hoofball.
    It can be neat and tidy passing football too.

And a sound foundation on which to open up and kill off tiring teams late in the game.
  • Maybe we should apply Oggy?.....:o)
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Maybe we should apply Oggy?.....:o)
    I like your style guys, but would you be able to get our players to actually do it, and not panic and hoof it when under pressure?
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Maybe we should apply Oggy?.....:o)

Good idea. Don't forget to bring the hymn sheet, Bing.

Or the prayer book - that's the one we would need.
  • Oh and as far as the New Manager Speculation is concerned, maybe we should mount a campaign of disinformation on football rumours like we did with the takeover?
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]I like your style guys, but would you be able to get our players to actually do it, and not panic and hoof it when under pressure?

Well, probably not, Ali.

But then I don't suppose the new manager will be able to, either.
  • I see its rumoured that Roy Keane has just got the heave ho. Anybody fancy being managed by His Psychoness?
  • Palace, hopefully .....?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Palace, hopefully .....?

Good shout. Can you imaging Coppell as Director of Football with Roy Keane as manager. I should imagine that Coppell would resign faster than you can say "I have made a mistake and want to spend more time with my family".....:o)
  • I think we are just waiting for Kenny D to return from his hols so he can take over the mid-table 'Pool, leaving Hodgson free to pop down to SE7.

Well the bookies in Lewisham took my money, having listened to my theory, so......
  • [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]I think we are just waiting for Kenny D

More like Kenny G if we get Hoddle.
  • All managers need a bit of luck - good and bad. In fact it may be better to be lucky than good. I'd like to see a manager in soon though as he needs to work out what is required and act on it within the transfer window. As we seem to have let the whole first team coaching set up go - it may take a few weeks if not longer to get to grips with what needs doing.
  • edited January 2011
    It would be good to get a new manager in quickly but I'd rather they got the right bloke than how long it takes.

It seems to me that the events leading up Parky & Co being sacked can be viewed in a couple of ways.

1. Duplicitous and economical with the actualite - They always intended to sack him, used the poor performance against Swindon as an excuse and have somebody lined up and are now just pretending to be looking so it doesn't look too obvious

2. They were prepared to give Parky a go but became quickly disillusioned after some average performances against 10 men and finally a very poor performance when it seemed that he had lost the plot, and acted swiftly and decisively

For me either way actually leaves me with some reasonable and continued hope that the club will move forward now.

If its 1. then they know the team needs rebuilding from now because a new manager will want to be able to build his own team. They will thus have built in the re-building costs into their planning and will not necessarily expect the new manager to get the club promoted this season.

If its 2. then they are prepared and have the funds to change things rather than let things drift along. Being decisive is a pointer, although not conclusively,to the fact that they have fairly deep pockets and are in it for the long haul.
  • Poyet is quoted as It would take something really special to prise him away from Brighton. He wants to manage in the Premier league, and he said the easy way was to do it together, the hard way would have to be very special indeed. I think we can now forget Gus. I'm sure there are going to be plenty of applicants, so let's play the football manager lottery. Totally agree anyway Bing, but 50% of your splintered wish list just went down the swanny.
  • Well, Bing ..... I guess if they weren't convinced that Parky was the right man from their point of view, they were hardly going to entrust him with spending their money.

As the transfer window is only open in January, it's only this month they can make investment in team building.

So perhaps that is their logic. Nothing more complicated than that?
  • Step one of my speculative bet (post 23) now taken.
    Quite happy if step 2 takes place soon.
  • I think it will be a side full of loanees anyway Oggy
  • There aren't many managers that have never been sacked. The way to get a good reputation as a manager seems to be to find the right club and not leave it - I'm thinking Fergie and Wenger here. When previously successful managers move on it quite often doesn't work out for them - Brian Clough being a good example from the past.