Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Completely disillusioned

As a Charlton fan, I have never been more dissillusioned than I am now.

Most clubs - more so Charlton than many others - have a symbiotic relationship with their fans. The fans pick through every iota of news, gossip, rumour and fact and make the most of it, bigging their team up and looking forward. And the club strives to make progress, taking account of the majority of fans' views, doing the right thing; and doing it the right way. That's what normally happens. That's what used to happen. Not any more. And worse than that, right now, I just don't care.

I don't care who gets picked at the weekend. Don't care how long Keith Peacock stays in charge. Don't care how we get on against the Spuds. Don't care who takes over as manager.

A few months ago, I was a shareholder and a fan. Someone who cared probably more than he ought to about the fate and future of the club. But now, with the self-imposed mess Charlton are now in, I really am not sure I can be bothered with it any more.

It'll pass. Won't it?

Comments

• have you not posted something like this few days ago?
  • My peak levels of dissillusionment were watching the dreadful performances against Walsall and Swindon. At least someone's trying to sort it now.
  • I'm the opposite - I think this is an exciting time actually, a new dawn, a braver dawn and a club with a new, better objective. We now have the chance of a new beginning with new owners and to claw our way back to a decent level at last. Plodding along as we were was doing nothing but drain the life force out of the club and the supporters.

It's only been a week since we were taken over so I'd give it a bit more time if I were you or at least until the new appointment has been made! I mean for pity's sake it sound slike you gave PP 2 years so why not give the new owners a little time too.
  • edited January 2011
    Not only will it pass, but you'll look back on it as a watershed in your Charlton education.

Learn this:

Nothing that this Club does will ever be easy. Nor will it generally make sense. Nor will it bear any real resemblance to your hopes and dreams.

But, as the true fan, you will feed off this misery. You will resolve to stay with it so that you and the Club can come through the other side into the glorious, sunlit future where Charlton win the Champions League and offer fans free half-time beer and a freshly-ironed programme.

You say that you don't care about Sunday. Trust me - you will. Your stomach will knot just the same as always. You will search out updates and tweets. Your heart will soar when we take the lead ... then plummet as we concede 7 (yes, seven) hotly-disputed and grossly-unfair goals.

But above all else, you will rejoice in being part of a community that is proud of SE7 and all that our Club's history and fine standing offers.

You are Charlton, Chizz. Not the Board. Not the owners. Not the players.

You.
  • 10 out of 10 Mr Rudd
  • You certainly would have been disillusioned if we had gone into administration at the end of the season after finishing mid table with no signings in January. Cheer up, we have new owners with money to spend and ambition to get us back to the EPL.
  • Chizz - a few months ago you were a shareholder and a fan? I'm guessing you are still a shareholder and a fan. Am I right? Chin-up, next year we'll be millionaires.
  • [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]Chizz - a few months ago you were a shareholder and a fan? I'm guessing you are still a shareholder and a fan. Am I right? Chin-up, next year we'll be millionaires.

None of us are shareholders anymore, Cardinal - or did you miss that bit?
  • Ive felt disallusioned since Curbishley left/we failed to keep him and the following managerial appointments and sale of Reid etc.

This is the most positive Ive felt about the direction of the club since tbh.

Keep the faith Chizz it will get better for all of us.
  • Weegie - good point - I had forgotten all about that! Nothing minus nothing is still nothing. They can't take my certificate away from me.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice one Cardinal, like it...........
  • Wouldn't say were In a mess now but we were in a mess and could have been in even more mess. We have new owners with ambitions. We have a bit of wedge behind us. And our new owners are looking for a new manager who can get us playing the football we all want to see. It's a step forward rather than a step back
  • I've felt disillusioned since the "commercial manager" was rude to me in an email a few years calling me a liar/thief and all the directors ignored my letters of complaint. This whole parky thing is nothing compared to that...
  • southampton managed to do ok after administration..
  • I am and always will be a shareholder--the fact that Muzza binned the company dosnet mean im not still a shareholder. The fact that its now just a piece of paper and totaly worthless to the City dont mean naff all. It shows (and always will do) that when CAFC needed the cash myself and my Dad fronted up (as did many).

New owners -- new manager---new era
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Not only will it pass, but you'll look back on it as a watershed in your Charlton education.

Learn this:

Nothing that this Club does will ever be easy. Nor will it generally make sense. Nor will it bear any real resemblance to your hopes and dreams.

But, as the true fan, you will feed off this misery. You will resolve to stay with it so that you and the Club can come through the other side into the glorious, sunlit future where Charlton win the Champions League and offer fans free half-time beer and a freshly-ironed programme.

Yoy say that you don't care about Sunday. Trust me - you will. Your stomach will knot just the same as always. You will search out updates and tweets. Your heart will soar when we take the lead ... then plummet as we concede 7 (yes, seven) hotly-disputed and grossly-unfair goals.

But above all else, you will rejoice in being part of a community that is proud of SE7 and all that our Club's history and fine standing offers.

You.

I could cry reading this
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite] But now, with the self-imposed mess Charlton are now in, I really am not sure I can be bothered with it any more.

With all due respect,Chizz, I think the only ''self-imposed mess'' is the one you have brewed up in your own head. The events of the last week are the best thing to happen to our club since Curbishley left....Varney and Peacock reckon so and I'll take their word over yours for the moment.

If it turns out they are wrong and you are right, I shall at the appropriate moment eat a large slice of humble pie, of course. But I don't think it will happen. For the first time in 3/4 seasons, I feel hopeful that we are not in an inescapable downwards slide and the rot has finally been stopped...
  • Now is the first time that I have been filled with optimism about our club's future for quite a while.....before the events of this last week we were headed for another season of disappointment and possibly administration. What happens now, who knows? But I have a feeling that our luck may have changed. We shall see.
  • edited January 2011
    You're obviously hurting Chizz and you should take Dave's excellent advice to heart.You might be despondent about things now but whatever happens you do care and you will be riding the rollercoaster along with the rest of us for years to come of that I'm sure. It's just not that easy to stop caring about a such a huge part of our lives.

I'm one of the most pessimistic people I know but I have to say the last week has lifted my mood hugely and in hindsight I think that's as much an indication of just how depressed I was about where our club was going as it is about where we might go under new ownership. Yes, it might all go belly up. It's a possibility, agreed. But equally it might all work out as well in which case we'll all look back on the dark days of the last few years, like we do at other periods in our history, with a certain sense of pride that we were still there for our club when it needed our support most.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]southampton managed to do ok after administration..[/quote]

Apart from losing all their best players, then they got taken over by a Swiss billionaire who pumped a lot of money into the club outspending every club in the division. Strange how things improved after that.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]southampton managed to do ok after administration..

Apart from losing all their best players, then they got taken over by a Swiss billionaire who pumped a lot of money into the club outspending every club in the division. Strange how things improved after that.

Lol. Quality
  • shut up you big tart and snap out of it!!!
  • I just hope we have bottomed out to be honest. Its been a hideous time of late to be a fan of Charlton. Perhaps in this day and age we get to know too much about whats going on and that in itself makes things seem worse?

I dont however really remember us be so consistently poor at playing the beautiful game...its been a chore watching our home games this season in general, and Ive defiently turned up out of loyalty more than getting those butterflies I used to get on match days. Lets hope this is a turning point and 2011 is the start of something special.
  • It's always darkest just before the dawn.
  • its the first time in years the bloody light has come on in the darkness i can not believ the posts on here i really cant based on what if people no something say it if you know nothing but feel it explain that dont insiuate that you are going to be proven right

there is a lot of you just wait and see merchants on here

either put it out there for everyone or put it to bed
  • [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite] Perhaps in this day and age we get to know too much about whats going on and that in itself makes things seem worse?

Think this is very true. Last time we had new ownership I think I was begging my mum for a Commodore Amiga and the internet certainly didn't exist in it's capacity or accessibilty as it does now and sky sports wasnt as dominant and informative.

Nowdays we get information within minutes of it becoming public rather than having to call club call for £27 a minute or wait til you saw your mates in the know down the pub at games.

With that comes speculation, rumours and all the "what ifs" and every possibility of everything is analysed and disected before anything actually happens.

Its great in loads of ways that you can connect to a vast array of the Charlton community and speak with folk you'd probably never chat to otherwise at the touch of a button but it does have some negative aspects particularly i think in that people often communicate in a way that maybe they wouldnt in an equally passionate way down the pub .

Never got that Amiga.
  • 'IF' charlton ever climb back to premiership status, we will be the fans out of the suddenly appearing 25-26 thousand fans which we start getting at home who can look back and say we stuck through all the sh*t. COYR
  • I did that at Selhurst when there were just 3-4,000 of us....we havent stooped quite that low yet SECAFC :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Not only will it pass, but you'll look back on it as a watershed in your Charlton education.

Learn this:

Yoy say that you don't care about Sunday. Trust me - you will. Your stomach will knot just the same as always. You will search out updates and tweets. Your heart will soar when we take the lead ... then plummet as we concede 7 (yes, seven) hotly-disputed and grossly-unfair goals.

You.

Bloody hell. If parky gave team talks like this, not only would he still be in a job but we'd have the title sewn up by now. :-)
  • 27 quid per minute for cafc club call, lol. I remember those days. Can anyone recall the number, something like 0800 121146 wasn't it? I don't know how I didn't get verbal warning at work, was calling this number all the time. Must thank the people who came up with internet.