Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Dragging us kicking and screaming into the modern game?

Strangers have rolled into SE7 and already caused a storm in light of today’s events. Whilst on a humane level I feel great sympathy for Phil Parkinson I see this as the definitive line under an often stale and remarkably unhappy era at the club.

We have tried doing things the “Charlton” way building up slowly from scratch, hoping to develop upon new found stability with a prudish approach that has seen us right in the past. After the knee- jerk hirings and firings post- Curbishley, our descent down the leagues and the associated financial pressures inherent with this the ship needed to be steadied and the floundering stopped.

Arguably no one more than Richard Murray and Phil Parkinson have wanted it to work this way, striving to do the best with the resources available and all credit to them. Dignity and integrity are two qualities very rare in today’s game and they have both displayed them in abundance.
And fair play to the section of our ever loyal support who have kept good faith in the management of the club on and off the field through what have been difficult times in our painful adjustment from Premiership contenders to 3rd Division promotion hopefuls. And fair play to those of us who have alternatively questioned that faith with equally well- meaning passion and conviction.

Aside from the emotive debates that this strategy has invoked particularly in the past couple of seasons I feel more optimistic today about the future of this club than I have done since just before Scott Parker left and we were seriously challenging for European football.
Whether it be positive thinking, blind optimism or just sheer hope, my gut instinct tonight is that the events since New Year are the start of a new fruitful path for Charlton. The takeover shrouded in secrecy has seen two characters emerge whom have signalled an intention to make big changes.
Whilst the unknown is always daunting and no one other than those individuals involved truly know their intentions it is a least a change in direction (and oft directionless) way the club has found its running in recent years.

Eternal gratitude will always be due to Charlton people like Murray who have invested the time and money that most of us can only dream of. Obviously an astute businessman in his own right but perhaps it was his passion and love for the club that may have often clouded his better judgement in recent times.
Murray’s continued involvement and Varney’s return provide me with the security of familiarity and the trust that nothing bad will happen on their watch and I find their presence at board level invaluably comforting at such a transitional time.

I believe that much to the dismay of many of us true football fans that the game has sadly changed beyond recognition of the purer more innocent form it took when most of us fell in love with it many years ago. It’s a business nowdays where the bottom line seems almost to supersede the scoreline in terms of importance.
Murray et al are possibly (and thankfully) from a different age where honour, dedication and a firm handshake were enough to stay afloat as a successful football club and a going concern.
Nowdays it appears to be an industry controlled by sharp- suited slick operators with one eye one the pitch and the other on the next deal. From the little I know of our new owners (and the faceless money men behind them) I see them more cut out for this new world of modern football business.

I recall that I was initially strongly against the Zabeelification of “our” club i after enjoying the success of doing things the Charlton way for so many years. I didn’t want anything to do with the Chelski model of doing things. I suppose I hoped with naivety that one day football would implode and return to the more level playing field of my youth and teams in the lower divisions could cut the mustard. Whilst football has imploded it has mainly impacted the smaller clubs and barely a week has gone past recently without news of a long established club facing possible extinction. It hasn’t really touched the big boys and nothing will change until it does.
Regretfully it is with resignation to the “Can’t beat them join them” philosophy that I find myself feeling as I watch affairs unfolding at the club I have always loved and will always love.

None of us know with any real conviction what else will emerge from the shadows in the coming weeks, months and years regarding the club we all hold so dear but I feel a weird sense of relief tonight....as if today is a weight of our shoulders with the responsibility of guiding the club in the hands of the unknown people who aren’t Charlton and whose immediate actions show they have their own plans of what is best for them (and hopefully us).

Whilst the ruthlessness shown is somewhat alarming it is also refreshing after the stagnant situation we have found ourselves in the past few years. Whilst the stability may have been comforting that same familiarity appeared to also be breeding contempt and the increasing negativity and discord between fans, players and management echoed this.
It appears that we are going to be dragged kicking and screaming into the age of 21st Century football whether we like it or not and perhaps that is the only way to survive and be viable in the modern game.

We are a small club with a small but very loyal and dedicated following who have endured a lot of bad times and may well see more and we really deserve to see good times as do many clubs and supporters of our statue and for some unbeknownst reason I truly believe that this past week has sown the seeds for a return to good times at The Valley.

It is time to get that unity back throughout the whole club. It has been missing for a while but it is one of the things tat makes us a such a special and unique club.

Time for us to forget the past and look to the future which from my point of view appears a lot brighter now than it has for a long time.

COYA

Comments

• Excellent post.
  • Fair, balanced and really good article. Agree with it in the main as well. I think as a club and as supporters we have been used to the status quo for so long, first with Curbs and then with the board.

There is no doubt that without a takeover we'd be in administration (maybe even before the season was out) so whether we like it are not we are in the modern footballing business world. How we fair is one for the future - I'm still tentative.
  • Good well researched article but I'm not sure at my time of life that I want to be dragged into the moral bankruptcy of the modern game and may have reached a "breaking point" to quote AFKA.
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Regretfully it is with resignation to the “Can’t beat them join them” philosophy that I find myself feeling as I watch affairs unfolding at the club I have always loved and will always love.

That's my feeling in a nutshell too, Rodders.

Anyway, many thanks for such a balanced overview, a really good read and thoughtful attempt to make sense of the situation we now find ourselves in.

[cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]It is time to get that unity back throughout the whole club. It has been missing for a while but it is one of the things tat makes us a such a special and unique club.

Like you, I can only hope it sows the seeds of good times to soon come back to The Valley.

Great article, mate.
  • "We are a small club..."

No we're not. Agree with almost everything else though, Rodders!
  • ''I feel more optimistic today about the future of this club than I have done since just before Scott Parker left and we were seriously challenging for European football.''

For me, that's the key line a generally excellent article, Rodders.

I, too, am more optimistic than in years and I really wish everyone would stop moaning about a sacking that was as justified as it was inevitable. I feel like we're finally starting to emerge from a long dark tunnel . So let's applaud the club's new found ambition and look forward in unity to the return of better times at the Valley, after the worst 3-4 year period I can remember since I saw my first Charlton game 45 seasons ago.
  • Well written article.

Unfortunately I feel the total opposite. I feel as far detached from Charlton as I have ever been today. Think this whole situation has been handled terribly.

Misguided optimism when I knew Varney was on the board.

The new regime has been in place 5 days and have lied to the fans several times already (see WSS thread). Does anyone really believe the Swindon game was the dealbreaker?

A month ago he was manager of the month - we then had 3 games in 5 days and then hardly a game for a fortnight. A point away at the best side in the division, a point away against a promotion rival and a lino flag away from a win.

Yes we have been poor at home in the last month but then again Southampton, Sheff Wed and Huddersfield have all lost at home lately.

We have no devine right to walk this league and 3 points from the automatics with a game in hand on Huddersfield suited me fine.
  • edited January 2011
    Great article, agree totally. Personally I was disappointed that the club didn't make a real effort to bring the crowds in yesterday "to welcome a new era into The Valley", hopefully the optimism a good appointment can bring will give them a second chance to do this.

We're all in it together, let the good times roll!
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]

The new regime has been in place 5 days and have lied to the fans several times already (see WSS thread). Does anyone really believe the Swindon game was the dealbreaker?

A month ago he was manager of the month - we then had 3 games in 5 days and then hardly a game for a fortnight. A point away at the best side in the division, a point away against a promotion rival and a lino flag away from a win.

As I see it, during the period of Due Diligence, the results, and more tellingly, the performances have deteriorated to such an extent that action was felt necessary from the new Board. They said they'd give PP a chance, I'm not sure that the Colchester away and last night's debacle would have earned anyone the right to continue. This obviously impacted on the support/coaching staff as they must share the blame for recent performances.
    The number of brilliant performances earlier in the season to counteract that fact are very few. Whilst we have no right to walk away with the division I would like to think we are set up to 'punch our weight' at this level.
  • [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]We'll all in it together, let the good times roll!

Please don't spout that coalition claptrap on the day the average price of a pint has gone above 3 quid!

Enjoyed the article and I think what the events of today prove is how little influence us fans have or will have in the future.

We live in interesting times (Chinese curse!).
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Well written article.

Unfortunately I feel the total opposite. I feel as far detached from Charlton as I have ever been today. Think this whole situation has been handled terribly.

Misguided optimism when I knew Varney was on the board.

Yes we have been poor at home in the last month but then again Southampton, Sheff Wed and Huddersfield have all lost at home lately.

We have no devine right to walk this league and 3 points from the automatics with a game in hand on Huddersfield suited me fine.

Great post, sums it up beautifully.

If Benson had stuck in that header at BH&A to make it 2-1 or if his header had not been wrongly disallowed at Colchester and we had won there 4-3 then would he still be worthy of the sack?

Still, I am sure that Little Dennis will have us trampling over all-comers by February - all by playing beautiful football and not a long ball in sight, of course.
  • Good article.

I don't feel optimistic at all.

Two days ago I did. I may still again. Everything depends on who they bring in to replace Parkinson.

I have nothing against ruthlessness. I'm a headhunter, I see ruthless business decisions all the time. Sometimes they are very good, and I end up admiring people with a a lot more balls than I have.

But take it from me, any plank can fire somebody. Hiring somebody better is a whole lot more difficult. Its so difficult, that it keeps me in business.
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]

Well we can all play those sort of games, Southend. Being 1/2/3 points above Peterborough, Hartlepool, MK Dons , Bretford and Colchester when all of them except Dons had a game in hand on us, did not suit me fine at all . It made me fear the worse, especially after failing to win any of our last five games (an achievement unique among all 12 teams in the top half of the table and probably amiong most of those in the bottom half, too).

And, thank heavens, our new owners recognised this, too.

Well done to Slater and Jiminez. They did what they had to do.Now let's move on. There's is no devine (sic) right, or even divine right. But things can only get better after the incompetence and lack of ambition we've endured in recent seasons - and I am confident that they will.

It's quite bizarre how all these posters who used to complain about the ''negativity'' of CL are now pouring out the negativity like never before. Cheer up everyone and let's unite in celebrating the dawning of a brave new era in Charlton history.
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]

Well we can all play those sort of games, Southend. Being 1/2/3 points above Peterborough, Hartlepool, MK Dons , Bretford and Colchester when all of them except Dons had a game in hand on us, did not suit me fine at all . It made me fear the worse, especially after failing to win any of our last five games (an achievement unique among all 12 teams in the top half of the table and probably amiong most of those in the bottom half, too).

Well done to Slater and Jiminez. They did what they had to do.Now let's move on. There's is no devine (sic) right, or even divine right. But things can only get better after the incompetence and lack of ambition we've endured in recent seasons - and I am confident that they will.

It's quite bizarre how all these posters who used to complain about the ''negativity'' of CL are now pouring out the negativity like never before. Cheer up everyone and let's unite in celebrating the dawning of a brave new era in Charlton history.

....brave new era? Sacking a well respected manager one week into their reign and appointing Dennis Wise? Yes, plenty to celebrate there, I am sure.
  • Even though he's odds on it's not "definitely" Wise though is it Ormiston (or do you have inside knowledge)?

I dont particularly want him involved personally either but if it meant he were a vehicle of getting someone else along in the bargain Id probably be happy enough.
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    ....brave new era? Sacking a well respected manager one week into their reign and appointing Dennis Wise? Yes, plenty to celebrate there, I am sure.

The sacking of Parkinson is certainly something to celebrate. He's only been there for the last two years because he was the cheap option and Murray couldn't afford anyone better. Well now we can, thank heavens.

As for Wise - what do you know that the rest of us don't?
  • What a strange article. Its positive outlook is based on some large assumptions.
  • [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]We'll all in it together, let the good times roll!

Please don't spout that coalition claptrap on the day the average price of a pint has gone above 3 quid!

Sorry mate, as a student, (and one whose drinking habits this evening caused the awful spelling) I can assure you that I'm as annoyed at that as anyone. Feel content that you did make me laugh...
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]What a strange article. Its positive outlook is based on some large assumptions.

Massive assumptions mate but after the past few years of being thoroughly depressed with football in general Im trying see the possible positives regardless of their likelihood!

Time will tell over the next few months I suppose.
  • Great post, Rodney. I share your optimism.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]

The sacking of Parkinson is certainly something to celebrate. He's only been there for the last two years because he was the cheap option and Murray couldn't afford anyone better. Well now we can, thank heavens.

As for Wise - what do you know that the rest of us don't?

1] The bookies are no longer accepting bets on Wise.

2] He and Jiminez come as a joint-ticket, they always have done.

3] Wise is available for free.

4] Wise has already been seen at the training ground running the rule over the squad, not exactly subtle from the prospective owners.

As someone whose views I have always held in the highest regard, I am very surprised and disappointed at your callous attitude towards Parkinson, he has been very badly treated given that we only had an eight player squad in July.
  • I really don't get all this 'ruthless new board' stuff. I left the Valley yesterday to 'Parky out' from the faithful. (and I go back to the 'Nelson Out' era). Surely they are just acting to the demands of their customers and the clear evidence of recent weeks. I feel we needed this new era and am confident that Varney/Jiminez will produce the goods.
  • Great post. Don't know where I am today to be honest! We were dreadful yesterday but chucking Parky out is high risk. Additionally it is not the Charlton way-and that is what the post describes, the cultural shift in our Club, what that means for all of us is unclear at the moment. I hope that the board have a strategy for all of this, that they are signed up for. Otherwise I am fearful for the rest of the season. Dreading Sunday now as well, but now we have a break from the league they must of thought that this was the time to get rid of the honest and hard working manager we had. It is certainly interesting times. I am anxious about where we are going.
  • edited January 2011
    Look i think people outside of Charlton will see Parkys sacking as harsh , and i agree , but if you were to put your money into a football club , wouldn't you want a say in choosing who the management team would be? i'm not sure where we are going at the moment , but i'm open minded enough that failure is not an option , will the new owners work? i don't know i sincerely hope so , because if we are winning games and entertaining i will be happy (particularly at the valley) why can't we make the valley a fortress like it used to be ?

Southampton seemed to have cracked it home ?

On another thread there was a comment about Bradley Wright Philips not coming hear for £700,000 and someone saying don't know where that stories come from , which could mean we are not going to buy anyone with significant funds , if we do get promoted this season there will still be Charlton fans who are not happy ,( because of the way it was done etc) i've come to the conclusion that some Charlton fans are very rarely happy , whatever is done , no wonder there is such a negativity attached to this club at the moment , i wouldn't want to manage it , even if you gave me Parkys salary , its like an impossible task.

I hope we have reached the bottom now and the only way is up , hope is all that i can cling to supporting this club.

I hope the new owners have some quality players lined up for us to sign , as Nigel Adkins is promising supporters at Southampton at the moment , we have to keep up / better them.
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]

Brave new eras are all well and good so long as they don't destroy the core.

Kent Cricket or Kent County Cricket Club?

One can debate the wisdom (or not) of sacking Parky and certainly, with the transfer window, if it was to be done it had to be done now.

However 2 days ago the new board were "sitting down with Phil" to see what was needed! The only comparable dismissal of a Charlton manager I can recall is when Mark Hulyer took Ken Craggs out for dinner and the next day he was out the door. I do not particularly want people of the morality of Mark Hulyer at the head of my Club for reasons obvious to any longterm Charlton fan over the age of 40.
  • edited January 2011

As someone whose views I have always held in the highest regard, I am very surprised and disappointed at your callous attitude towards Parkinson, he has been very badly treated

How callous? True, he has made going to see Charlton full of dread rather than something one looks forward to; but I wish him well and have said so.

He's not been the best paid manager in English football over the last two years. But he makes a far better living than most Charlton fans, privileged to be doing something he loves and working in the game which he says is his life.

So I'd say he's a lucky blighter. Particularly as he will get paid off and he has better re-employment prospects than most of the tens of thousands who will lose their jobs in 2011 due to the cuts. He will pitch up soon enough at Preston or Palace or somewhere and will continue to earn several times as much as most Charlton Lifers.

Has he really been ''very badly treated''? Sorry, but I don't see that at all. He knows the name of the game. Didn't he walk out on Colchester straight after getting them promoted and with a year left to run on his contract? And why? Because someone offered him more money, of course. Then he was the beneficiary of Pardew getting the sack and had no problems about taking his mate's job (and nor should he).

I really don't believe I'm being callous towards him. But equally I'm damned well not going to feel sorry for the bloke.

Now if people would stop banging on about how poor Philip has been so hard done by , and remembered that Breaker and Kinsella are also out of work and one suspects have far inferior future job prospects to the privileged Parkinson, then I might take the violin playing a bit more seriously.
  • Well, IA, it looks like we will have to disagree on this one.

My view is that Parkinson was handed an absolute train-wreck by Pardew back in 2008 and given no funds at all to fix it up - simply because we had no money.

With no resources at all he took us within a point of promotion last season - with an ageing Deon Burton as our main striker whilst our rivals like Leeds had Beckford and Norwich Holt and Martin and Millwall had Morison - all of whom cost more than we could possibly afford.

This year he had the bones of a squad back in July - just eight senior pros - and has had to cobble together what he could on freebies, loans and just one cash signing, Paul Benson.

Yes, the football has been of poor quality in many games, but it has hardly been a disastrous season with us three points off second and through to the FA Cup 3rd Round, has it? Our away form has been brilliant, its just the home form that has been the problem.

What's more, with cash to strengthen the squad in January we would have had as good a chance as anyone of getting in the top two.

Still, that's all irrelevant now, Parkinson has gone and, in my view at least, certainly deserved better treatment than to be sacked one game into the new regime.

The key test will be who the new owners bring in, if it is "you know who" then I genuinely fear the worst.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

However 2 days ago the new board were "sitting down with Phil" to see what was needed!

Wouldn't you think that it could be possible that this meeting took place and that the new board weren't impressed with what Parky had to say or his intended targets were or even his game plan.. ?
  • See the Guardian is tonight throwing a bit of mud in Slater and Jiminez's direction.
  • Have you got a link Carly?..