Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Swearing (excessively)

I think we are all (quite rightly) peed off with todays events, but I think that some of us have probably overstepped the mark when it comes to our choice of language with some of our posts this evening.

I'm as guilty as the next man with this, so I would just like to apologise to asll - particularly anyone who was offended by any of my language earlier.

I appreciate the ethos to this place and respect the guys that run it so have been back and amended some of my more choice use of expletives. In the cold light of day some of you may also wish to do the same. Up to you though.

Let's hope tomorrow brings some good news. Up the Addicks!

Comments

• F**K O**!
  • Yeah I may have got a little too excited also
  • People need to vent, it's only natural really.
  • [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]People need to vent, it's only natural really.

Indeed. But sometimes you also need to hold your hands up if you over step the mark. That's all.
  • All a bit OTT at the moment with the language especially the 'C' word, there are a lot of youngsters that read this site.

Some idiot on here called everyone that sits in NU H block C**** the other day, which I took exception to as my mates and I sit there. Totally unnecessary.

I can totally understand the frustrations of yesterday, but it needs toning down a bit. This site has built up a good reputation over the years for good banter and intelligent posting, I read it every day, three or four times a day. We dont need the high quality of this site dragged down do we!
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]All a bit OTT at the moment with the language especially the 'C' word, there are a lot of youngsters that read this site.

Some idiot on here called everyone that sits in NU H block C**** the other day, which I took exception to as my mates and I sit there. Totally unnecessary.

I can totally understand the frustrations of yesterday, but it needs toning down a bit. This site has built up a good reputation over the years for good banter and intelligent posting, I read it every day, three or four times a day. We dont need the high quality of this site dragged down do we!

Totally agree with you in every respect. But the anger is so hard to tone down when you see a performance AGAIN from Charlton like that! Being a supporter of this team I seriously really love makes it really hurt and I find it so hard to be calm. I admit I wasn't calling nobody a c*** or whatever yesterday. At times I was sitting there just really depressed about it all and I even at 4-1 down was (I think 1 of about 5-10 people) still singing still having belief and at most times on my own, just to try spead some positive chants to them all, I knew it wouldn't work but if anything was going to work it was being positive and not shoutihg ''Parky for palace'' Did you hear that one person who started ''We love you Parky we do etc'' Yes that was me... ok Im not asking for credit and He prob didn't deserve any praise what so ever, but if anything was going to lift them it was positive chants!
  • edited January 2011
  • Well said Al and Offy.

I don't get to read every thread or every post but if i see a post with needless swearing in, then i go in and delete it out. However its becoming a chore i really shouldn't be doing.

We all get frustrating and christ is it depressing at times, but it is possible to post without the bad language. If you had the hump with your boss and sent him an email, you wouldn't litter that with foul language. Its not like speakig in the pub where you just open your gob and whatever comes out, typing is thought about first so if you are continually swearing then it looks like your doing it for the shock factor, which doesn't really impress anyone.

So, i don't care if it comes across a bit wet, please just try and make an effort to keep it out of your posts guys. If i can manage, yet swear like a trouper when i'm out with mates, then i know its possible for everyone else to do it.
  • I'll put that in a different way then. I didn't call all the J & H block that "big bad Millwall word", i said it's full of them..I have mates in them blocks and they try to over-ride the idiots but it's just heaving..

Jolly good, back to my tea and scones while i check the south eastern train time-table...Ahem.
  • [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]All a bit OTT at the moment with the language especially the 'C' word, there are a lot of youngsters that read this site.

I can understand your concern, but to be honest i dont think any of us 'youngsters' care about the choice of language. Im 16, come from a working class background and go to an all-boys school, im use to very colourful language and dont think twice about it. Whatever peoples age, we all get frustrated by the side performances, but only because we're passionate about our club. I can fully understand people saying things like they did earlier today and when they're at the valley, and its comforting to know that we have fans who care so much about the club, people who are willing to express their feelings. Sure it could be more constructive than 'abbott you fat c**t', but aslong as people dont overstep the line in terms of mild abuse through their own frustration, then never will i be concerned by how people air their views. Obviously i appreciate that some people dont have the same tolerance as myself, but i just thought i'd take a more positive slant on the way our fans talk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hi Folev, appreciate your well written reply. I may be getting old, but I do realise that the C word is becoming commonplace in everyday language, especially amongst teenagers, I work and live in a deprived area on Canvey Island!

I should have included, that apart from youngsters, some a lot younger than yourself, there are many women that read threads on here and may well object. Although the word is commonplace, the fact is that there is absolutely no need to use it when posting on here. You at 16 have managed a well written post so why can't others?

My other point was that i was actually called a c**** on here by someone who has never met me or my mates who sit in H block and even though that has had a fairly lame retraction since, I object to it.

I also went to an all boys school (Hurstmere, Sidcup), so I'm certainly not an old prude!
  • I f%%king hate it when people swear
  • [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]I'll put that in a different way then. I didn't call all the J & H block that "big bad Millwall word", i said it's full of them..I have mates in them blocks and they try to over-ride the idiots but it's just heaving..

Jolly good, back to my tea and scones while i check the south eastern train time-table...Ahem.

You are so predictable mate its painful......
  • [cite]Posted By: Full Metal Addick[/cite]I f%%king hate it when people swear

That was done at post #2.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Full Metal Addick[/cite]I f%%king hate it when people swear

Swearing is indicative of a limited vocabulary
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]I'll put that in a different way then. I didn't call all the J & H block that "big bad Millwall word", i said it's full of them..I have mates in them blocks and they try to over-ride the idiots but it's just heaving..

I tell you what is predicatble. One of the clique saying something similar and you agreeing...
  • press the bbc code at the bottom and you will fix your problem with quoting....

;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]I'll put that in a different way then. I didn't call all the J & H block that "big bad Millwall word", i said it's full of them..I have mates in them blocks and they try to over-ride the idiots but it's just heaving..

I tell you what is predicatble. One of the clique saying something similar and you agreeing...

Just so I know, am I "in the clique" Andy?
  • Is there an actual need to swear?
  • [cite]Posted By: Full Metal Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

Stephen Fry swears, he's got an amazing vocabulary
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree totally. One of the best things about CL is the relative lack of swearing IMO. All of us hear far too much of it every day of our lives and it's so refreshing to come on here after a game like yesterdays and discuss it, for the most part anyway, without having to wade through effing and blinding and worse to get to the point. There are plenty of other boards people can spout off like a tourettes sufferer on so, whatever the future brings for us in the next few months, lets try and respect AFKA et al's rules and keep the bad language to minimum.
  • [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Full Metal Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

Stephen Fry swears, he's got an amazing vocabulary

OK! Persistent swearing is indicative of a limited vocabulary
  • Ok swearing may not be evidence of a limited vocabulary but using it particularly the more extreme words undermines the users own points and denigrates what they have to say unless used carefully and selectively. Stephen Fry uses it carefully and selectively in a way that adds to his points the gratuitous use of swearing here isn't smart clever or constructive in any of the discussions.
  • [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]

Is showing a bit of respect to other charlton fans really that tough for you?
  • I actually think, though not generally, swearing on this site is a very good thing. It shows the site is REAL! Unlike others that you have to wait overnight to
    see if the editor liked it or not, this is raw, unedited site. Why should people hold back when they are disappointed that their team did not perform?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: positive princess[/cite]I actually think, though not generally, swearing on this site is a very good thing. It shows the site is REAL! Unlike others that you have to wait overnight to
    see if the editor liked it or not, this is raw, unedited site. Why should people hold back when they are disappointed that their team did not perform?[/quote]

Because swearing isn't necessary and has not been fundalment part of this site and has always been frowned upon. So the increase of it changes the atmosphere and feel of the site.

if one cannot show ones true feelings without swearing then #16 is totally relevant.

Welcome to CL
  • [cite]Posted By: positive princess[/cite]I actually think, though not generally, swearing on this site is a very good thing. It shows the site is REAL! Unlike others that you have to wait overnight to
    see if the editor liked it or not, this is raw, unedited site. Why should people hold back when they are disappointed that their team did not perform?

Not everyone wants to log on to read a load of pointless swearing, we also have a lot of young members and it would be a terrible shame if even one member was lost due to bad language.

It's just not needed.
  • [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]I'll put that in a different way then.

This is all!