Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Come back Peter Burrowes!

Well done to my dear friend , legendary Charlton commentator Peter Burrowes, who may be retired but still got closer to the story than anyone else.

He didn't get Slater's name. But he said four weeks ago that Jiminez was fronting a £50m bid and there was no formal role for Wise. His comments were reported on here at the time,too, if anyone doubts it.

Give me PB over Dan Roan any day. Proper journo of the old school. Peter hasn't even got a computer, which is why he doesn't come on CL. It also means you don't get stupid tweets from him. Just the facts. Shame he hasn't got a journalistic outlet any longer for all his vast knowledge, experience and contacts.

Time to come out of retirement, Scoop?

Comments

• think the overiding feeling by most on here it was tony j
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]think the overiding feeling by most on here it was tony j

I'm sure there will be plenty coming along right behind you to say they knew all along!
  • I have to take my hat off to Incorruptable and the legendary scoop. You nailed it and were not afraid to name your source.

I've known Burrowes since my teenage years when he was Press Officer / Programme writer and LBC commentator all in a one man media team and although many have doubted him over the years , I'm glad he has been vindicated.
  • Jeez, the "I told you so" posts have started already.

So much sh*t got posted by so many people over the past few weeks that the law of averages suggests someone HAD to be right.

(Cue ia coming back to me with an analysis of the term "law of averages" and poitning out why, technically, matehematically and statistically, the above statement is not true)
  • Have I got time to get the pop corn out before I have a shower ready for the party tonight?
  • "Scoop" Burrowes. Legend.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Have I got time to get the pop corn out before I have a shower ready for the party tonight?

Happy Birthday!
    ;o)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Have I got time to get the pop corn out before I have a shower ready for the party tonight?[/quote]

you forgot to say and put on my new cardigan ;-)
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]I have to take my hat off to Incorruptable and the legendary scoop. You nailed it and were not afraid to name your source.

No credit to me, Richard. I merely reported what PB said. Being a pro, he didn't tell me his source. But I suspect it was RM or PV and straight from the horse's mouth. He doesn't deal in second-hand tittle-tattle.

In starting the thread I simply wanted to pay tribute to a Charlton legend who still knocks spots off most younger football journalists - even in his retirement!

I see Peter almost every day between April and September at Kent cricket and he also still attends eveery CAFC home game , too.

After a period living down on the Kent coast, he's back living in Bromley, by the way. Henry, you should get him along to a Bromley Addicks meeting sometime. He's got a few tales to tell, for sure... And we could all gently rib him about his stock phrase, which he used to trot out on the radio every time we conceded a goal and which any fan of a certain age who used to listen to his commentaries and match reports will recall all too well.

All together now : ''AND CHARLTON HAVE ONLY GOT THEMSELVES TO BLAME' !!!
  • Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks Incorruptible> You've just made me feel very old!
  • PB gave me a lift home from Middlesbrough once on a Tuesday night - in Curbishley's Mondeo.

Don't think he was too happy about it to be honest, but fair play.
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite] He doesn't deal in second-hand tittle-tattle.

Even by the standards of this board that's quite hilarious . . .

Do you seriously imagine that anyone connected with Charlton who wanted to keep a secret - never mind RM or PV - would tell Pete so much as the time?

Scoop's a mate of mine and if you want to sing his praises that's fine with me, I like the guy and I'm glad he's still around, but that's just too much!
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]

Do you seriously imagine that anyone connected with Charlton who wanted to keep a secret - never mind RM or PV - would tell Pete so much as the time?

Why not? He's retired and utterly harmless and doesn't even own a computer - so he offered no threat to the security of the story at all.

Like you, Airman, Peter is one of my best mates - I see him every day in the cricket season. But I doubt he even knows what Twitter is. The only people he could pass his info on to were his mates in the KCCC supporters club, where most of our fellow members believe football is a game of no significance played by mudied oafs!

But the point is that whoever told him - and he didn't reveal his source to me - he got it right...
  • Good luck to you IA for bigging up someone you like but i find this pretty amusing.

Jiminez has been continually linked with takeovers for over two years with us, mainly because he has constantly been involved for over two years in various groups bidding for us. As for the £50m bid, i think it is probably closer to 50p. There is no formal role for Wise because of exactly that, there is no room for anyone else at this stage. This is going to be a keeping the costs down and getting our club back to break even exercise in the short term, not adding to the wage bill. I will have to take a hell of a lot of convincing that Wise has not been acting on some form in a football consulting role over the last month or so, whether paid or as a favour to a mate.

So good luck to 'Scoop', he may well have scored a boundary in your eyes but i think the third umpire will definitely prove it was a leg bye :-)
  • edited December 2010
    As a kid I was rarely taken to The Valley, but we listened to LBC every Saturday. The thing that I remember most is is sign off: "Peter Burrowes, IRN Sport, The Valley". For some reason my Dad and I would mimic this as he said it. Happy days.
  • I remember when the Kentish Independent ruled, and Scoop used to get about four pages of copy out about Charlton every week.
  • I can remember along with Peter Cordwell, Peter Burrowes doing the Charlton write ups for the "Kentish Independent".

And back in the 70s when I rarely missed an away match, no matter where the ground was he was always there.
  • edited December 2010
    No credit to me, Richard. I merely reported what PB said. Being a pro, he didn't tell me his source. But I suspect it was RM or PV and straight from the horse's mouth. He doesn't deal in second-hand tittle-tattle.

I didn't mean Peter had given a source only that you had actually said where you heard this from, that along with Wyn Grant's Blog made me almost certain that Jimenez was involved but Dennis the menace did not have a role ( for now).

I am not naive and believe that Wise will be advising the new owners and Parky now needs to deliver.
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]

Why not? He's retired and utterly harmless and doesn't even own a computer - so he offered no threat to the security of the story at all.

Because he's the biggest gossip I've ever met.

I'm not knocking the bloke's commitment to Charlton - albeit there was never anything like the amount of CAFC copy in the KI that Seth recalls - just that everyone at the club knows he is always digging and can't keep a secret.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]

Because he's the biggest gossip I've ever met.

Fair comment, Airman. He loves a bit of gossip and intrigue, I'll grant you that (even though he has no media outlet for it these days).

But I am telling you that I am convinced someone with an inside track spoke to him.

He was quite adamaant that assurances had been given that there was no role for Wise - and this was a month ago. I told him that was bollocks, because everyone knew that wherever Jiminez went, Dennis the Menace walked in his shadow.

And he simply repeated :''All I can tell you is what I've been told. There is no formal role for Wise in this.''

Anway Pete, if you are reading this (which you are not, because you haven't even got a computer, you tight-fisted old sod!) - happy new year and respect...
  • lol this went a bit pearshaped
  • I had no idea and am still not sure to be honest.
  • Fair play to PB & IC.
    HNY to you both (you may have to pass this on I.C. !).
    ;-)
  • Bring back the Kentish Independant!
  • BDLBDL
    edited January 2011
    Comedy moment from the press conference last night - Scoop turned up with a cassette recorder.

He does have access to the internet - free for an hour in the library - "Why do I need a computer when it's free?"

He's also seen this thread!

**ALSO** - He's also a contributor to the Millwall program, he was outed in the press room last night.
  • edited January 2011
    Good job no-one can read down at the Den then....
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Comedy moment from the press conference last night - Scoop turned up with a cassette recorder.

He does have access to the internet - free for an hour in the library - "Why do I need a computer when it's free?"

He's also seen this thread!

**ALSO** - He's also a contributor to the Millwall program, he was outed in the press room last night.[/quote]

Just to clarify that he was a contributor to the Millwall programme in 1985, not today!
  • edited January 2011
    Nose in, gossip out, that's him. Can't stand them Charlton types that are "in" with the club ect, shady characters that lurk about..
  • Charlton Live, 7-9pm tonight. Scoop is going to get it!