Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colchester vs. Charlton (1/1/11) - Preview, Poll, Views and News

WSSWSS
edited December 2010 in General Charlton
Firstly, in advance, Happy New Year to you all – let’s hope 2011 goes that one tiny step further in footballing terms than 2010 did.

A 3-point haul against Colchester on New Years’ Day will set us up nicely in what is going to be a busy second half of the season considering postponements. Last season’s visit to Essex was awful, simply awful, and ended our fantastic start to the season; however, with Llera not playing I doubt we’ll see a repeat performance…..

Wednesday’s last ever visit to The Withdean (thank god) produced a result that the majority of us would’ve taken at 7.45, but come 7.55 we all felt we should’ve picked up maximum points. Once again a lack of guile, creativity and poor finishing cost us with Benno getting the scapegoat tag from a number of fans and ex-Charlton defender Steve Brown.

You can’t really see any changes in personnel across the back five and with both Martin and Reid once again failing to take their chances from the substitute’s bench you can see that staying the same (although personally I think Wagstaff needs to buck his ideas up).

At the business end of the pitch there is no doubt that Paul Benson can play only with a certain type of striker. He is not a target man and is not going to create chances for himself but – despite the efforts against Brighton – will put the ball in the back of the net more often than not. Pawel Abbott had a brief cameo last time out and seemed to have an impact – maybe he’ll be given another chance although I still expect Lee Martin to be in the starting 11.

Colchester have not played in a while so we need to take advantage of any rustiness and despite a David Mooney goal, Charlton will run out nervy 2-1 winners.

Comments

• Last year Colchester looked physically stronger.I'd go for Benson and Pawel but Elliot will have to be more dominant and agressive in his penalty area.Contest between Martin and Waggy on the right.Both frustatingly poor at the moment.Like the Brighton match I will be happy with a draw.2 all.
  • I can't see us winning anything until this takeover is sorted out, so a 1-1 draw with Mooney for them and Benno for us.
  • Defence and midfield are fine but without Anyinsah - we are seriously lacking up front so difficult to see us getting more than a draw or narrow defeat from this.
  • Draw. They've not played in a while and Anyinsah is probably out.
  • edited December 2010
    voted Col U win but only as my predictions are never right. Reckon it'll be a draw, maybe even coconuts. Just hope I can wake up in time for when Golfie picks me up tomorrow for the game. After that anything will be a bonus.

BWP to make his debut ?
  • [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]I can't see us winning anything until this takeover is sorted out, so a 1-1 draw with Mooney for them and Benno for us.

Agree with that. Draw is the best we can hope for - unless there is an annoucement today to put an end to the uncertainty, in which case I'd fancy us to up our game and get all three points.
  • I've optimistically gone for a CAFC win, but then I almost always do.
  • Mooney will be on fire and score twice a la Lisbie a couple of years back.

3-1 Colchester.

Prove me wrong! Please!
  • Promotion this season means beating teams like this, but a draw is more likely, however colchester not playing for a while now will mean we will get lucky tomorrow and win 1-2 or 0-1.
  • colchester are up there and are only 3 points behind with a game in hand so not an easy fixture

it'll be a high scoring draw
  • Sponsored links:

• I never bet against the Addicks. 2-1 win for us tomorrow .
  • hopefully Reid in for Wagstaff
    will go for 2-2
  • Hopefully the Brighton match was down to the players being a little rusty after a few matches were called off.

A new regime and hopefully the players and Parky will be out to impress the new boss.
  • Am now going for a Charlton win.

Parky will have been told its promotion or bust. The players know there are reinforcements coming in Jan and all have a point to prove - every single one of them.

No excuses. No hiding. It's a new era and anyone who doesn't shape up will be out - so Charlton 2-1...
  • I'm surprised this thread has been inactive for more than two hours...

In all the excitement and speculation about the new owners and who they are going to sign, you all seem to have forgotten that our existing players HAVE AN ABSOLUTELY VITAL MATCH TOMORROW !!!
  • lets hope parky can keep the team off of the falling down juice tonight ,
  • Easy choice. Home win. we are poor.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Easy choice. Home win. we are poor.

We are poor, but slightly better away at the moment, don't be negative my friend, these players now know there positions are at risk and they will up there performance tomorrow no doubt.
  • I think we'll win this one. A scrappy 1-2 win.
  • An oystercatcher has just flown past my window, it's a sign I tell ye, we're going to scrape this one 1-2.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've voted for a 1-1 draw, sadly cant see us winning this one but I do think we will have enough to earn a point.
  • lets do it for tony and mike 2-0 charlton
  • New owner factor

0-2

Coyr
  • Positives;
    Haven't lost away in the league since Exeter on 4 Sept.
    We have won at similar difficult places already such as Carlisle, Peterborough & Swindon.
    Performances have been better on the road than at home.
    The Takeover should give not only the players, but the staff & fans a massive boost.
    Fans vocal support could/should be a 12th man.
    Colchester could be "rusty" having not played for a few weeks.
    CUFC have a number of 1st team defenders out.
    Johnnie Jackson will be up for this.

Negatives;
    Last season saw our undefeated run come to an end here and with an awful performance.
    Colchester could be bang up for this having not played for a few weeks.
    Players may have been on the sauce last night.
    Despite the results, we haven't exactly set the world on fire with our style (if we have one) of football.
    Mooney is bound to score!
    We tend to do badly against physical teams and there are still elements of Boothroyd in CUFC.
    Anyinsah - our most effective forward - is likely to be out injured.

In summary, I'll go for....anything but a loss! Head says 1-1, Heart says 1-3 win.
  • Think the players were locked in the hotel last night so unless they took advantage of the room service & mini bar they prob wouldnt have been getting on it.

Fairly confident for today. 1-3

COYR
  • Leaving in half hour.

Fancy us for a point today, Mooney and Benson to get the goals.
  • mooney won't score. but then we probably won't either. i'd like to believe that the peterboro result wasn't the blip performance in our drab playing style but i'm getting outweighed by the evidence.

i think again, parky will just not want us to lose and might surprise everyone with starting with 10 men as they are so hard to beat.no he won't do that because that's just such a stupid theory and no one really believes it.

if charlton were just rusty through lack of play then colchester are in big trouble themselves playing just once in the last 5 weeks.

0-1 i just can't see us losing as i really don't rate colchester at all.
  • Keep changing my mind.

Started out going for a draw.

Then thought the ending of the uncertainty over the takeover yesterday would inspire a win.

Now fearing that the speculation over Parky to Preston in The Sun this morning (a story probably planted by his agent) will have unsettled our fragile lot again!
  • Would rather Sodje than Martin but the team was quite predictable really.