Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan Ball

Alan Ball has died at the age of just 61 from a heart attack.
Very sad.

Comments

• agreed, very sad at that age.
  • youngest member of the World Cup winning squad wasn't he ?

very sad news.
  • Blimey- very sad!

RIP
  • Very sad indeed. On the radio it said he had lost his wife three years ago and had missed her greatly.
  • RIP Alan 'squeaky' Ball

A fine man, and a role model
  • I was shocked when I heard the news this morning, 61 is no age at all - minutes silence on Saturday then.
    RIP
  • Very sad news indeed.

I have had the privilage of working with Alan on several occasions and can only say what an inspirational man he was.

If you have ever heard Alan talk of his up bringing, his playing career and his relationship with his father (who was his idol), you could not fail to be inspired by the man's motivation to the best he could be and to make his family and his country proud.

I'm not surprised his managment career was abit up and down as I think he often struggled to understand what motivated the modern footballer.....as if playing football itself was not enough.

RIP Alan Ball
  • Very sad, one of my first footballing heros. R I P Alan Ball
  • Yep RIP Alan Ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rip to my fellow squeaky voiced ginger dude. My work collegue just informed me of the news, very sad, and only young still.

RIP
  • top man , always came across as very enthusiastic for the game and a genuine nice man.
    think i last saw him on telly at the first game back at the 'new wembley' and he was as excited as a big kid then
    RIP
  • RIP Alan

And thanks for helping to provide us with one of, if not the, proudest moment in Englands sporting history.
  • met the man once at a hotel in Southampton, in the bar. His Pompey side had just that afternoon lost at Birmingham and had blown promotion, think it was the season we were promoted. Anyway, I made some wise arse comment but he took in in good heart and bought me a drink and we had a brief chat. Really nice bloke. RIP.
  • Totally shocked at the news. That a man who was such a bundle of energy and enthusiasm could no longer be with us makes me think about the fragile nature of our existence.

He was a brilliant player and seems to have been universally thought of by those who knew him as a decent man.

RIP.
  • What a shock.

RIP
  • [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]I'm not surprised his managment career was abit up and down as I think he often struggled to understand what motivated the modern footballer.....as if playing football itself was not enough.

RIP Alan Ball

very interesting, and quite apt.
  • I was shocked when I heard the news this morning. One of the most passionate players of our time and always a hero of mine.

RIP Alan and thank you for the World Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• In my minds eye I can still see him covering every blade of grass during that magical World Cup Final of 1966. For the benefit of the youngsters the work he got through that day makes Kish look positively static.

Proper player who loved the game a shame there are not more players these days with his attitude.

I think Henry has it right when he says Alan missed his wife.
  • Putting out a bloody bonfire of all things as well..

A tragedy RIP
  • Someone put on Wonderwall for him.

RIP
  • Brian Glanville in the Guardian has done a excellent piece on him.

I met Alan Ball at the U21s a couple of months ago, and he was a really nice bloke, RIP.
  • RIP - great guy to listen to on TV - full of passion for the game
  • did he ever play at The Valley?
  • Possibly when he played for southampton?