Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Woah Boring Grammar alert!

edited November 2010 in Fun, Jokes & Captions
Right you should use an in front of a vowel to avoid a gloital stop yeah?

Should you say 'Not worried about an FA Cup loss' or 'Not worried about a FA cup loss'. Or the opposite!

Seems to me in the flow of a sentence 'an FA Cup', flows nicer especially if you're from the SE.

Comments

• Agreed it should be 'an', we pronounce it 'eff' therefore it starts with a vowel ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Right you should use an in front of a vowel to avoid a gloital stop yeah?

Should you say 'Not worried about an FA Cup loss' or 'Not worried about a FA cup loss'. Or the opposite!

Seems to me in the flow of a sentence 'an FA Cup', flows nicer especially if you're from the SE.

'Whoa'
    'Glottal'

You want to concentrate on your spelling before you move onto grammar. :)
  • Cool! With my simple grammatical mind I couldn't work it out. Cheers.
  • Careful - this sort of thread always invites the pedants who constantly pick people on use of apostrophie's (usually those who were crap at maths)
  • "Ain't worried about an FA Cup loss".
  • [cite]Posted By: charente addick[/cite]Careful - this sort of thread always invites the pedants who constantly pick people on use of apostrophie's (usually those who were crap at maths)

what are apostrophie's ????
  • Quotr from an English teacher "Should be ‘a FA Cup’ as you only change it to an before a vowel (a,e,i,o,u). Trouble is a few people from Oxbridge started to use it before ‘h’ and it stuck."
  • [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]Quotr from an English teacher "Should be ‘a FA Cup’ as you only change it to an before a vowel (a,e,i,o,u). Trouble is a few people from Oxbridge started to use it before ‘h’ and it stuck."
    "Quote"
  • couldnt give a shit bout losin in football cup

there you go.
  • Grammar, who gives a fuck about about an grammar..?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]Quotr from an English teacher "Should be ‘a FA Cup’ as you only change it to an before a vowel (a,e,i,o,u). Trouble is a few people from Oxbridge started to use it before ‘h’ and it stuck."

Teacher is wrong. You use "an" in front of a vowel sound. It's a "sound" rule not a "spelling" rule.

She went to a university
    Jonjo has an uncle

I work in a hotel. If you drop your haitches, it's fine to use "an" here.
    It is only for an hour.

Charlton have won an FA Cup
    I don't give a f**k about Millwall.
  • [cite]Posted By: Jints[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]Quotr from an English teacher "Should be ‘a FA Cup’ as you only change it to an before a vowel (a,e,i,o,u). Trouble is a few people from Oxbridge started to use it before ‘h’ and it stuck."

Teacher is wrong. You use "an" in front of a vowel sound. It's a "sound" rule not a "spelling" rule.

She went to a university
    Jonjo has an uncle

I work in a hotel. If you drop your haitches, it's fine to use "an" here.
    It is only for an hour.

Charlton have won an FA Cup
    I don't give a f**k about Millwall.

That is correct.
  • If you're confused, just ask renowned literary expert Johnathan Ackworth for advice. He's written a book after all...
  • I've written a book but my spelling is crap and my grandmas worse!
  • Like I would say 'Right, you should use an in front...' instead of 'Right you should use an in front...'.

Here's an example, 'Right said Fred...' or 'Right, said Fred..'.

Call me pedantic...!
  • If there's one person I'd never listen to on the beautiful English language, it's an English teacher. So fucked up on their grammar rules, you couldn't split their infinitive flared suit. I'm in the sound camp, we speak modern English and it's all about the great vowel shift baby. All in the sound, not some fucking poncey Victorian rulebook.

Ohhhoooooo don't put a commar after and,,,,,,, that's just wrong! Stick that down your gloitis Leroy. :)
  • Jints makes the most sense to me
  • [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]Like I would say 'Right, you should use an in front...' instead of 'Right you should use an in front...'.

Here's an example, 'Right said Fred...' or 'Right, said Fred..'.

Call me pedantic...!

Dear Pedantic,

Shouldn't that be, "Right", said Fred?

Or have I pedantically got it wrong ....?
  • edited November 2010
    Aren't you also supposed to put "an" (as opposed to a) in front of some words ie "an historic day at the Valley"?
  • [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]Quotr from an English teacher "Should be ‘a FA Cup’ as you only change it to an before a vowel (a,e,i,o,u). Trouble is a few people from Oxbridge started to use it before ‘h’ and it stuck."

It's more to do with words derived from French than Oxbridge folk.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2010
    Even the French come unstuck at times, though .......the French for, "I have had" = "J'ai eu", pronounced with no liason consonant inbetween - a bit like the sound you make just before you throw up.