Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

When Was The Last Time........

.........six players from the same club were on the pitch at the same time for England as Hart, Barry, Milner, Johnson (A), Lescott, and Wright-Phillips were tonight?

I don't know the answer by the way but wonder if it might have been when Neville (G), Neville (P), Beckham, Sharpe, Butt, Scholes etc were around.

Comments

• They said on Sky that Ron Greenwood picked 7 Liverpool players once, in fact it may have been when the Swiss beat England in 81.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]They said on Sky that Ron Greenwood picked 7 Liverpool players once, in fact it may have been when the Swiss beat England in 81.

Cheers
  • Not sure if that was the last time however.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Not sure if that was the last time however.

Can't think of any team that has done so in recent times namely because Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea haven't even had six in their squads.
  • edited September 2010
    There may have been a game a few years back when the likes of Beckham, Sheringham, Scholes, Neville, Neville, Butt and even Andy Cole were in an England matchday squad and at Man Utd, more than 5 may have been on the pitch at the same time.
  • How many Scousers were on the pitch when we Germany 5-1...?
  • I think the Arse also put out seven players years ago...
  • Surely it must have been at Wembley in 1966 ( cue violins) when West Ham players won the World Cup for us .....To listen to Brooking & Hurst , you'd think all 11 were Hammers' players.
  • Robinson, Defoe, King, Lennon, Jenas, Huddlestone, Crouch, Dawson, Carrick, Thatcher

all played for Tottenham and England. There may be others I've forgotten. Could any 6 from the above 10 have achieved the feat?
  • It was in March 2001, England v Albania, there were 7 United players on the pitch at the same time and I think they were: Gary Neville, Wes Brown, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt, Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham
  • Sponsored links:

• Not England, but Spain has six Barcelona players in their WC winning team.

Regarding Ron Greenwood, his policy at the time was to base his team on Liverpool. As they were the best side in Europe he wanted as many of them in the England team as possible, so wherever there was a doubt over any two players for a specific position he always went for the one who played for Liverpool.
  • edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Robinson, Defoe, King, Lennon, Jenas, Huddlestone, Crouch, Dawson, Carrick, Thatcher

all played for Tottenham and England. There may be others I've forgotten. Could any 6 from the above 10 have achieved the feat?
    Sorry Len, but Ben Thatcher was and is Welsh and never represented England so it would need to be 6 of the other 9
  • Robinson had left spurs before Crouch joined, and doubt he would have played in the same England as Huddlestone
  • Seaman, Winterburn, Dixon, Adams, Keown, Parlour & Wright could be a good shout
  • [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]Seaman, Winterburn, Dixon, Adams, Keown, Parlour & Wright could be a good shout

Winterburn only managed 2 caps ('93) whereas Parlour's 10 caps were between '99 and 2000.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]Seaman, Winterburn, Dixon, Adams, Keown, Parlour & Wright could be a good shout[/quote]

Winterburn only managed 2 caps ('93) whereas Parlour's 10 caps were between '99 and 2000.[/quote]

Add Platt in the mix? possibly Smith as well as a long shot?
  • Ron Greenwood picked 7 from Liverpool in 77 when he took over after Don Revie had scuttled of to the Middle East chasing cash rather than glory.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Robinson, Defoe, King, Lennon, Jenas, Huddlestone, Crouch, Dawson, Carrick, Thatcher

Bentley played a couple of times too didnt he?
  • [cite]Posted By: AjaxAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Robinson, Defoe, King, Lennon, Jenas, Huddlestone, Crouch, Dawson, Carrick, Thatcher

Sorry Len, but Ben Thatcher was and is Welsh and never represented England so it would need to be 6 of the other 9

Good point well made!:-)