Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tranmere away - 18th Sept

edited September 2010 in Match Day Travel
Quoted £83 standard return to Birkenhead from London, what a joke, on top of the £21.50 match ticket. Spoilt this weekend with my £30 return to Exeter with megatrain.com but they don't run have anything to Liverpool it seems so i'm stuck with paying normal prices unless anyone has any suggestions? Anyone else going? i'm invisiging a rather poor turnout.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    One of the Charlton coaches up there? It says on the website the fare would be £20 or don't you fancy travelling by coach? Just a suggestion mate, that's what I always use when I go to away games. Picks you up, take you there - right outside the ground and drops you off from where they picked you up from.
  • Supporters who travel with the Charlton Athletic Rail Travel Group regularly to away games outside Greater London can usually take advantage of discounted return rail fares thanks to special group deals negotiated independently by Charlton supporter Syd Cheeswright.

For the game against Tranmere Rovers on Saturday, September 18th, the good news is that there are no engineering works that weekend between Euston and Liverpool Lime Street. The not so good news is that the number of discounted rail fare return tickets available is very limited, over three-quarters of which have already been sold. Preference will now therefore be given, for the remainder of the cheap tickets, to supporters who travelled regularly last season with the Rail Travel Group. The adult discounted rail fare from Euston, via Liverpool, through to Birkenhead is £39 return, half price for U16s. The latest date for booking is 9.30pm on Monday, September 6th.

Our train leaves Euston at 11.07, arriving Liverpool Lime Street at 13.15. The return train from Liverpool departs at 18.48, arriving 21.15 at Euston. In between there is a Merseyrail (underground) return journey from Lime Street to either Birkenhead Central or to Rock Ferry. The Merseyrail trains on the Wirral Line run every 15 minutes. The journey time to Birkenhead Central is nine minutes (four stations) and 14 minutes (six stations) to Rock Ferry.

Prenton Park is one and quarter miles south from Birkenhead Central station and a one-mile walk west from Rock Ferry station. The former, while a longer walk, has an advantage that there are buses (including routes 77, 77A, 83 154 and 464) from the nearby Birkenhead bus station that pass close to the football ground. Alternatively, routes 71, 72, 171 and 172, also from Birkenhead bus station, go along Singleton Avenue, 500 yards north of Prenton Park.

The standard class off-peak day return fare from Euston through to Rock Ferry is £66.10, or £43.65 with a senior railcard. The same fare applies to the alternative, but slightly longer, route via Crewe and Chester. For example, the 10.40 departure from Euston arrives 13.59 at Rock Ferry. The return at 17.29 arrives 21.18 at Euston. Change trains at Crewe and Chester in both directions.

Fans wanting to purchase specific discounted group rail tickets should call Syd on 020-8688 3916 between 7pm and 9.30pm on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday or Friday evenings (except when there is a Charlton evening game), not later than the closing date specified above. No late train ticket bookings or payments will be accepted.
  • Hmmmm I'm thinking drive up Friday night stay with nephew, go from there Saturday to Tranmere and then nip to Manchester on the Sunday to watch Liverpool Man U. Not a bad football weekend
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Hmmmm I'm thinking drive up Friday night stay with nephew, go from there Saturday to Tranmere and then nip to Manchester on the Sunday to watch Liverpool Man U. Not a bad football weekend

Do you have a nephew at Liverpool? Is it David N'Gog?
  • edited September 2010
    I've just booked up - staying with a mate on the Saturday night. Don't think you'll get any non-Cheesyjet travel for much less than £55, from the prices I saw.
  • Going Daggers v Bristol Rovers instead due to knowing a Rovers fan, and the fact that i'd have to get up at 6am to go to Tranmere
  • 6am, eh? The horror!
  • [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Going Daggers v Bristol Rovers instead due to knowing a Rovers fan, and the fact that i'd have to get up at 6am to go to Tranmere
    Oh well at least there wont be bottles flying about in Tranmere but i'll warn my friends in dagenham that your coming
  • [cite]Posted By: Sage[/cite]One of the Charlton coaches up there? It says on the website the fare would be £20 or don't you fancy travelling by coach? Just a suggestion mate, that's what I always use when I go to away games. Picks you up, take you there - right outside the ground and drops you off from where they picked you up from.

............and you have to be sober the whole time because you can't drink on the coach
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sage[/cite]One of the Charlton coaches up there? It says on the website the fare would be £20 or don't you fancy travelling by coach? Just a suggestion mate, that's what I always use when I go to away games. Picks you up, take you there - right outside the ground and drops you off from where they picked you up from.

............and you have to be sober the whole time because you can't drink on the coach

Cant and not supposed to are 2 completely different things
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]6am, eh? The horror!

Coming back from holiday at Camber Sands that day too, so I'd rather get a later train into London
  • [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]6am, eh? The horror!

Coming back from holiday at Camber Sands that day too, so I'd rather get a later train into London

Life's a beach :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Going Daggers v Bristol Rovers instead due to knowing a Rovers fan, and the fact that i'd have to get up at 6am to go to Tranmere

West Ham at home to Chelsea that day. The district line around dagenham should be very busy indeed if its open. It aint been for the last few weeks.
  • Sorry my mistake its the weekend after west ham chelsea. Still the trains are not running so you need to go Fenchurch St and get the c2c to Barking then pick up the district line from there
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Sorry my mistake its the weekend after west ham chelsea. Still the trains are not running so you need to go Fenchurch St and get the c2c to Barking then pick up the district line from there

Unc is proper Charlton now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • found the trains for £55 return using crosscountrytrains.co.uk with good times to and from Euston.

No doubting Valley Express is superb value for money but just not for me i'm afraid.
  • Can't be worse than last year, trains were all over the place.