Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Journeyman

IAIA
edited September 2010 in Other Football and Sports
With the news that Marcus Bent has started life at his 14th club, I was wondering what's the record for most clubs in a player's career.

Steve Claridge was an immediate first place to start. He's played for 20 different clubs. If you include his second and third spells at clubs seperately, the number rises to 25.

That's my starting guess. Can you beat Claridge?

Who is the biggest journeyman in the history of football?

Comments

• Chris Kamara could be a good shout - more clubs than Jack Nicklaus.

Maybe John Burridge - (sp?) - keeper who played well into his 40s.
  • Neil Redfearn?
  • Kamara is only 9 (which is the same number as Lee Martin)

Neil Redfearn beats Claridge with 21 clubs.

But John Burridge is the new leader. 29 different clubs! More if you add in second spells
  • I think Terry Curran 70's / 80's Winger played for 15 different league clubs which I thought was the record .
  • One player springs to mind:

Trevor Benjamin- last I heard he is still playing albeit in non league.
  • edited September 2010
    Few players are getting there including:

Marcus Bent
    Akpo Sodje
    Danny Cadamantri
    John Ruddy (albeit 9 loan spells)
    Mido has had a fair few clubs- for his age, not in Benjamins league just yet!
    Drew Broughton
  • Trevor Benjamin: 26
    Terry Curran: 15

Maybe Curran holds the record for most clubs excluding loan deals. Steve Claridge has definitely played for 20 clubs (15/16 league). Burridge was a sub goalie at a lot of his clubs.
  • Deon Burton has done the rounds. Maybe not quite in the Claridge league but double figures I think.
  • Jimmy Melrose must have made double figures.
  • Tony Warner must easily be in double figures with all his loan spells.
  • Sponsored links:

• Burton (12), Melrose (9) and Warner (13) are behind even Marcus Bent.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Lee_(footballer)

Our own Jason Lee has had a few....
  • Lee Martin has played for 8 clubs so far and he's only 23.
  • Jerome Thomas has been in more clubs than most i would imagine!
  • edited September 2010
    Andy Cole? He must have been about a bit, and Dickov too

Not in the same league as some mentioned here though
  • Dean Windass has had 15 different clubs, and he's still going
  • Jason Lee: 17
    Jerome Thomas: 5
    Andy Cole: 13
    Paul Dickov: 10 (11 if you include Oldham)

None yet to challenge John Burridge. I include the link so people can see what 29 clubs looks like on a Wiki page.

If you exclude teams that Wiki says he never played a match for, Burridge only has 19. If using that measure, then Trevor Benjamin would be number 1, with 26.

There's an ex-Charlton player who has played for loads of clubs, must've been playing into his 40s, for all sorts of South African, Canadian, non-league etc clubs, but I can't remember his name.
  • geroge best
  • keith alexander played for quite a few, not sure how many though
  • Iwelumo and Andy Gray have done a fair bit of travelling
  • Sponsored links:

• Who was our first ever player coming in on loan & going out on loan?
  • I remember Mike Hearn, a goalkeeper we borrowed from Walsall ......1973, I think.

Saw him play for us at Plymouth Argyle (the Clockwork Orange match), when we got walloped 5-0.
    Richie Bowman also made his debut also that day.
  • Kim Grant
  • Mick Kearns was the Goalkeeper referred to . He went on to become an Eire International.

I've done some research on Wiki and can see that Curran would have been supplanted by both Benjamin and Claridge who would both be on 16 now. I only include teams who they actually appeared for and not unused subs etc.

Marcus Bent may exceed all of them.
  • [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]Marcus Bent may exceed all of them.

And what a fitting place in history he would have
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I remember Mike Hearn, a goalkeeper we borrowed from Walsall ......1973, I think.
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]Mick Kearns was the Goalkeeper referred to . He went on to become an Eire International.

Spot on Richard. It was the same keeper I was struggling to remember the name of.
  • Jon Stark
  • Ade Akinbiyi has been about surely?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I remember Mike Hearn, a goalkeeper we borrowed from Walsall ......1973, I think.
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]Mick Kearns was the Goalkeeper referred to . He went on to become an Eire International.

Spot on Richard. It was the same keeper I was struggling to remember the name of.

Didn't he come from Oxford United?