Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Exeter away - 4th Sept (pay on day)

edited August 2010 in Match Day Travel
Just got my tickets for Exeter away, thought i'd give anyone thinking about going a heads up - £30 return (normally £70 via national rail) on the train from Waterloo to Exeter Central via www.megatrain.com and then the match ticket on the terrace is £16 so not a bad price of £46 all in. We have only sold 250 so far and it's a week tomorrow!

Comments

• 250 - very poor. Got mine, loved it down there last year.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]250 - very poor. Got mine, loved it down there last year.

Myself and Mrs Large are there, as is Golfie.
  • I'm incorporating it into my stag do - so i've boosted the numbers by 13.
  • got good train times as well via megatrain for £30 return, get into Exeter at 11:30 and departs at 19:30, makes me think what's the catch? probably be stuffed in the luggage rack or sat in the toilet, never used megatrain before, always paid through the nose for trains.
  • [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]got good train times as well via megatrain for £30 return, get into Exeter at 11:30 and departs at 19:30, makes me think what's the catch? probably be stuffed in the luggage rack or sat in the toilet, never used megatrain before, always paid through the nose for trains.

Only catch with Megatrain is that Waterloo to Exeter is about an hour longer each way than if you go from Paddington. Worth getting on there a few weeks earlier though to get best prices. You can do Southampton for £1 each way and Nottingham and Sheffield from about £5 each way on Megatrain as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]got good train times as well via megatrain for £30 return, get into Exeter at 11:30 and departs at 19:30, makes me think what's the catch? probably be stuffed in the luggage rack or sat in the toilet, never used megatrain before, always paid through the nose for trains.

Only catch with Megatrain is that Waterloo to Exeter is about an hour longer each way than if you go from Paddington. Worth getting on there a few weeks earlier though to get best prices. You can do Southampton for £1 each way and Nottingham and Sheffield from about £5 each way on Megatrain as well.

Does that mean theres going to be about 8 changes then? Drove last time.
  • [cite]Posted By: Brighton Addick[/cite]I'm incorporating it into my stag do - so i've boosted the numbers by 13.

good work fella!
  • [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]got good train times as well via megatrain for £30 return, get into Exeter at 11:30 and departs at 19:30, makes me think what's the catch? probably be stuffed in the luggage rack or sat in the toilet, never used megatrain before, always paid through the nose for trains.

Does that mean theres going to be about 8 changes then? Drove last time.

Nope, just stops pretty much everywhere on the way down whereas I think Paddington train only stops twice before Exeter. You'll be fine - Megatrain isn't the train operator, they just buy blocks of tickets in bulk from the train operator and them sell them on so you'll be sitting in the same seats as people who have turned up on the day and paid twice as much as you.

Charlton fans talking about trains, who'd have thought?! ; - )
  • edited August 2010
    Oh well that's not too bad then, happy with that.
  • Megatrain stops at about every station ,thats great for me and the wife see you all at Axminster 11-09.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Megatrain stops at about every station ,thats great for me and the wife see you all at Axminster 11-09.

It might stop at every station, however 11-09 makes it a week later.
  • edited August 2010
    Don't know where the figure of 250 came from, but we've sold 526 for Exeter and most of those were before last weekend.
  • A group saver of 4 costs £32.50 each from paddington and only stops at Reading. It takes only two hours. Usually I get the 10.06 arriving just after 12
  • Im just going to drive to this one. Was on holiday last year so this is a new ground for me.
  • Oi reply to me on FB you get, are you taking us? Pick me up from Crawley? :-)
  • i'll be there, short trip for me from Brizzle. I notice there are a few train stations there, i presume it is the central one for us?
  • How far is ground from Exeter Central?
  • walkable but a long walk. 20 - 25 mins. stop in the pubs.

we need at least a couple more hundred on top of the 526, gotta have at least 700 hundred going down there. anybody in two minds get your tickets - i went down there last season Exeter is a good day out, some quality pubs, if the weather's decent it'll be superb.
  • Getting the train now, 30 quid return!
  • says 10min walk on their site.
  • Sponsored links:

• just looked on google maps st. james' station is just across the road from the stadium
  • Just booked up on Cheeseyjet, to see our new players in action & boost the numbers. Adults fare decent & kids for a £1 Come on you know you want to :-)

For the game against Exeter City on Saturday, September 4th, the train leaves Paddington at 11.35, arriving Exeter St Davids at 13.53, in time to catch the local train at 14.18 for the six-minute journey to Exeter St James' Park station that is just across the road from the football ground of the same name.

The return train from Exeter St James Park station departs at 17.18, giving supporters plenty of time to catch the 18.02 main line train from St Davids, arriving 20.39 at Paddington.

The adult discounted rail fare for regular supporters will be between £35.50 and £47 return depending upon the actual number of adult passengers who must travel together on both the above outward (11.35) and return (18.02) trains. Accompanied U16s, one per adult, will be able to travel for £1 return. The latest date for booking discounted rail fare tickets is 9.30pm on Monday, August 30th.

St James' Park ground is a 1.2m walk east from Exeter St Davids station along a not very straightforward route. As the fare from Paddington to both Exeter St Davids and to Exeter St James' Park stations is the same, the local train is definitely the better option.

The standard class super off-peak day return fare from Paddington to Exeter is £64.70, or £42.70 with a senior railcard.

Fans wanting to purchase specific discounted group rail tickets should call Syd on 020-8688 3916 between 7pm and 9.30pm on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday or Friday evenings (except when there is a Charlton evening game), not later than the closing date specified above. No late train ticket bookings or payments will be accepted.
  • The walk from ground to Exeter St Davids takes no more than 10mins also after the game you can use the back gate into the station look for signs you can not go wrong.Looking forward to this match now.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]The walk from ground to Exeter St Davids takes no more than 10mins also after the game you can use the back gate into the station look for signs you can not go wrong.Looking forward to this match now.[/quote]

Think that's Central, not St David's
  • Yes St David's is a 20 minute walk, central is about 10 mins, although their are trains that will take you from both stations to St Jame's Holt which is outside the ground
  • Don't forget when buying your D&R tickets tomorrow, to get one for Saturday's game as well. Come on you waiverers, we need to sell this one out :-)
  • The walk from the ground to Exeter Central after just losing a bet (in the 94th min) that would of got me £400 seemed like forever :(
  • If we a sign a keeper today i will go.
  • [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]If we a sign a keeper today i will go.

ditto ;-)