Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FAN INTERVIEW: KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU.........OLDHAM ATHLETIC

Ahead of Saturday's top of the table clash, our thanks go to Oldham fan Dave Butterworth for sparing his time and giving us the lowdown on the Latics.

Dave, two out of two and a top of the table clash. Has the strong start to the season come as a surprise to Oldham fans ?

Before the start of pre-season the answer would have been a definite ‘yes’, given that we haven’t changed the squad that failed miserably last season. But a marked improvement in pre-season - beating Wigan and Bolton, the latter convincingly, brought a new found sense of optimism. Given who we have played Tranmere (one of my tips to go down) and Notts County (who looked woeful) and the fairly good pre season we had, the excellent start now doesn't seem to have come as much of a surprise.

Paul-Dickov-006.jpg

The appointment of Paul Dickov seemed to come out of left field. What were fans initial reactions to the appointment ? Has opinion changed in the short time since ?

Initial opinions varied; most seemed to be in favour, as most of our "experienced" choices of managers in recent times have been flops (Brian Talbot, Dave Penney and maybe a little harshly, Ronnie Moore, who despite leading us to 9th place was sacked), whilst the inexperienced managers Iain Dowie & John Sheridan have both led us to the play-offs. To some people Dickov appeared the right choice, as he would bring fresh ideas to the table.

On the other hand some were disappointed, saying we had gone for the cheap option and an inexperienced manager was a gamble given how poor the team had looked last season. Given how we have started, and the "easy on the eye" passing & attacking football we have played so far, these opinions have obviously already begun to change.

You mention last season being a disappointing one for Oldham, avoiding relegation by just two points. Has there been much player upheaval over the summer ? Who has impressed in the opening games ?

It was an awful season, but surprisingly only 1 player from last season’s squad (Joe Colbeck) has departed. We have around six players on the transfer list but have found no one stupid enough to take them off our hands!
So far our two central midfielders have impressed the most. Dale Stephens scored both our goals in the Tranmere game, and he is comfortable on the ball, a box to box midfielder and looks like he can score a fair few from midfield. Thankfully he’s signed a new 3 year deal as he's surely destined for bigger things. Partnering him is Dean Furman, who signed from Rangers last season. He was a big disappointment, rarely moving out of the centre circle and poor in possession. However, this season he's already got a goal and looks a completely different player now that he has license to get forward.

Can the strong start to the season be sustained ? Has it changed expectations already ? What realistically will be considered a good season for Oldham ?

To the fickle bunch in our fanbase, the good start has changed expectations with some now believing we can make the play-offs. Sustaining this good start will obviously depends on luck with injuries and suspensions, the main worry is our squad is in the main young and raw. Consistency will be the major issue. In my opinion, a good season will be a finish somewhere between 12-14th. If Dave Penney was still here that prediction would be something like 20-24th!

The-Three-Amigos-Photograph-C10101975.jp

There were a number of boardroom resignations during the summer, what was the story behind that ? Have things settled down now off the pitch ?

Two of the three businessmen (Three Americans known as the Three Amigos) who saved us from going bump in 2003 have now pulled out, the reasons I still don’t think are known. Sadly these two were apparently the money men out of the three, so the club is working on a radically reduced budget at the moment. We are apparently safe for this season money wise as the old chairman Simon Blitz gave us a loan of £500k to see us through. Its next season when the brown stuff will more than likely hit the fan, when the money runs out and they may want some of this loan paying back. How accurate this is I'm not too sure however !

'Trust Oldham' is one of the few Supporters Trust's that hold an actual stake in the club. How well has this worked over the past seven years ? Is the ST well supported by the wider fanbase ?

During 2003 when we were close to going out of existence the fans raised around £250,000. This was then used to buy about a 3% stake in the club, when the Three Amigos saved us. Where this money has gone to, or gone towards i'm not too sure. The fan on the board is a director and in my opinion, struggles to differentiate being a fan, and being a ‘yes man’ in the boardroom. This has brought a few problems as some fans feel he isn’t fighting our corner enough in the boardroom. The support for the Trust started off well, but these days it doesn’t seem too popular. Most do not seem to agree with the lead person who represents us on the board, and secondly some do not even know how to join the trust! So spreading the word seems to be a big problem.

Oldham_1066467.jpg

Boundary Park is renowned as being 'the coldest ground in the country' ? Are plans to move to a new ground still on track ? What are the plans for the new ground ?

Oldham is always cold! The plans are to move to a new 12k capacity stadium in Failsworth - a part of Oldham not far from the centre of Manchester. The plans include a cinema, apartments, and banqueting facilities etc to help the club become self-sufficient. At the moment, it's all still at the planning stage. Given that Boundary Park is already a three-sided wreck, with houses already being built behind the home end, it seems our future fully rests on these plans. It really is Failsworth or bust, so hopefully the plans are accepted soon!

How hard is it for Oldham to survive and prosper living in the shadows of the two big Manchester clubs ?

Just as hard as any lower league club, but times are becoming a little tougher now that Manchester City are also trying to build a successful side. Also ticket prices at City are only a few pounds higher than ours. Trying to attract young/new fans to Oldham is becoming more and more difficult.

People forget that Oldham were a founding member of the Premier League. Can you ever see a return to those days ?

Chances of returning to that are slim to nil ! The financial gap between the Premier League and the rest is now huge, which makes Blackpool’s achievement all the more remarkable (they were playing us in a League One play-offs only four years ago)

As an opposing fan, what is your knowledge and views of Charlton as a club ?

Friendly club, fairly well supported. All went downhill when Curbishley left. Replacing him was always going to be a tough one. Sadly it never worked out with most after him. Always remember Clive Mendonca, and for some reason Shaun Bartlett scoring a screamer of a volley in a home game in the Premier League.

How do you expect Charlton to do this season ? Who do you feel are likely to fill the automatic and play-off spots ?

Charlton will be up there, don’t think the squad is good enough for automatic - your best chance was last season when you had the likes of Shelvey & Bailey. But certainly expect you in the playoffs. I think Southampton and Sheffield Wednesday will go up automatically, with the playoffs being filled with Charlton, Huddersfield, Brighton and Peterborough.

12. How do you see Saturday's game going ?

I feel we're going to be on the wrong end of a 2-1 defeat. The only worrying aspect to last weeks 3-0 win was that we looked vulnerable from set pieces; our team must be the shortest in the League. I can see that being our undoing on Saturday. One thing is for sure. We will give a much better account of ourselves than we did in last season's game at The Valley.

Comments

• What kind of bus are Oldham bringing down this season?
    They were so proud of last years transport they parked it on the pitch for us all to admire.
  • Poor old Joe Colbeck. We had a chat with him in the harvester pub before the game up there last season.

See he's gone to Hereford

When the Latics fans say that Colbeck is the only person to leave isn't he over looking someone rather obvious?
  • I thought Grimbsy was the coldest ground.....?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    When the Latics fans say that Colbeck is the only person to leave isn't he over looking someone rather obvious?

My fault, i should have asked about Abbott. Completely forgot he was there last season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Marco[/cite]What kind of bus are Oldham bringing down this season?
    They were so proud of last years transport they parked it on the pitch for us all to admire.

lol quality
  • Really good feature - not many of us know too much about many of the oppo in this division, even after last season. Remember Oldham as one of our old regular fixtures during late 70s, usually with both sides winning the home games. In those days we must mutually have represented one of the less glamorous fixtures - wonder if that perception's changed at all.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

My fault, i should have asked about Abbott. Completely forgot he was there last season.

blimey, he only signed about two weeks ago !!
  • Was this interview done before we signed Abbot?

Or did you feel that they're a touchy bunch and decided to steer well clear of the subject ?

Good piece though.
  • Good article, and a good idea leading up to match days.
  • Has that owl just pooped in Dickov's eye

or is he just a Winker ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I like reading this.
  • " The fan on the board is a director and in my opinion, struggles to differentiate being a fan, and being a ‘yes man’ in the boardroom. "
  • Interesting about Dean Furman, met someone travelling who is friends with him and went to his first ever game last weekend when Furman scored a cracker. Really hope he does not get a goal this weekend.
  • these articles are a really good series. keep up the good work and thank you

bartlett goal was v leicester. hollywood ball from graham stuart, 60 yds through the air and volleyed into the bottom corner
  • Think that goal won "Goal of the Season" on TV
  • Making a very good read these more in depth fan interviews.
  • This is a fantastic series. Makes the games far more interesting and gives a much better perspective on our own club. "To the fickle fans in our bunch..." -says the Oldham fan. Sounds familiar!
  • Really good feature this AFKA.

Like the fact for the 2nd one in a row the Supporters Trust at both clubs make excellant starts and now years later they both suffer from indiffernce.
  • like this one smudge hopefully we can get another few of these along the way this season

well done dave B for doing this
  • I can't believe I forgot about Abbott.

Good player, just never fit. Scored 13 goals in a truely awful side last season. Bound to score against us, always did when he played for Huddersfield.

I agree with the comments re "parking the bus" last season for God sake we did so in a home FA Cup tie against Leeds. Dave Penney tactics, negative and nothing else. Should be a lot different this season- last Saturday was the first tim in 60 odd games we had scored 3 goals in a game!

Glad you seemed to like my answers, longest thing i've had to write/type out since my dissertation 2 years ago!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: DaveOAFC[/cite]I can't believe I forgot about Abbott.

Good player, just never fit.

Never fit as in too many fags and skives through training ....... or always carrying a knock?
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveOAFC[/cite]I can't believe I forgot about Abbott.

Good player, just never fit.

Many thanks for writing the story but I didn't like the ending.
  • I might be wrong, but I don't think we've ever lost at home to Oldham, wherever we've played.

You know where to put your money on Satirday folks!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I might be wrong, but I don't think we've ever lost at home to Oldham

Correct.

The full record is, played 21, won 13, drawn 8; goals for 41, against 19.

Biggest Charlton win 4-1 (17 April 1983 and 26 March 1974).

Charlton are undefeated in seven games v Oldham, since losing 5-2 on 13 August 1994
  • great oldham win it is then
  • edited August 2010
    and.......Soapys first home game for two years ! nailed on debacle. Thanks for the Info Dave.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Poor old Joe Colbeck. We had a chat with him in the harvester pub before the game up there last season.
    Not an ideal pre-match prep really....
  • Thanks Dave - always nice to get a balanced perspective ahead of the game. I wonder if the bickering glory boys hanging on to the top four ever manage anything as enlightening.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Poor old Joe Colbeck. We had a chat with him in the harvester pub before the game up there last season.
    Not an ideal pre-match prep really....

We usually have a drink and something to eat before a game. Sets us right up.

Oh, you mean Joe. He wasn't playing. Him and about 5 other young players were in there. The others went off to some award ceremony and left him on his own. I guessed then he might not be playing for them this season.

The glamour of football, hey.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: DaveOAFC[/cite]I can't believe I forgot about Abbott.

Good player, just never fit.[/quote]

Never fit as in too many fags and skives through training ....... or always carrying a knock?[/quote]

Always carrying a knock.
    Was never the same player for us last season after he had surgery (probably mainly due to rumours going about that during the operation they cut through his artery or it burst, and he almost died from it, like i said only a rumour that has been on our messageboard)