Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Vs Pakistan 2nd Test

Pakistan win toss and have chosen to bat.

Overcast morning, could be perfect for 'ole Jimmy.

Pakistan 202
England 420 - Pietersen 113
Pakistan 220-8

Finish as a draw, rain plays a big part.

Comments

• Options
    19-3. wallop.
  • Options
    32-4

Looking out of my office window in Edgbaston though looks like its going to rain soon
  • Options
    'Avvvvvv some of thaaaat!
  • Options
    36-6 :-)
  • Options
    67-9!

Christ they're dreadful. What on EARTH made them think "I know, we'll have a bat" - despite having a load of youngsters in, none of whom can bat on anything other than dirt tracks?
  • Options
    All out 72.

Have Pakistan put out their academy players....?
  • Options
    In this series so far Pakistan are 334 for 30!
  • Options
    They've got a lot of problems back home with the floods and all that, probably finding it very hard to concentrate...
  • Options
    44-2. Cook & now Strauss gone.
  • Options
    ive just paid £70 for a ticket for the 4th day at Lords. Cant see it lasting that long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This wont even make day three. Pakistan are awful. shame ;-)
  • Options
    Sorry RedZed, I just think they are presently a shiite cricket team, I don't remember sri lanka after the tsunami whineging about it, they just got on with it and played. Let's just say it, they are not very good, like we weren't a few years ago.
  • Options
    Didn't they do quite well against the Aussies..?
  • Options
    They did ok in one test, which probably says more about the aussie dislike of english conditions after being shipped over here for 2 tests. As mentioned elsewhere, aussies will be different in there own environment but are not a great team, especially playing out of their comfort zone. Pakistans batting is shocking, though their young bowling attack shows some promise for the future.

Om another note touched on in this thread, £80 a day for a test against a weak team is shocking, it would be shocking against the Aussies, it will lead to a few thousand hooray henry's (not our henry stylee but some may have cardies, over their shoulders) and other corporates being the only ones attending in future. Something wrong there especially when the only way to watch tests is to pay sky.
  • Options
    I went up there today, god it was a slow scoring day lol Good laugh tho had never been to Edgbaston before
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Didn't they do quite well against the Aussies..?

They lost the first Test heavily at Lords.

Then against expectation they rolled the Aussies over for 88 in the first innings at Headingly on a seamer's paradise, but then contrived to do their best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory but eventually won by three or four wickets.

Today was just embarrassing, no spine to their batting and several dropped catches, about the only area where they can compete is in the opening bowling - Asif and Aamer are good bowlers, capable of accurate spells and moving the ball away and into the bat, but that's not just use if their slip cordon can't catch. The floods in Pakistan have nothing to do with this, they were hapless last week, last month and for most of last year.

A sad shadow of a great side, a bit like seeing us in L1...
  • Options
    Cook fails again, gone for 4. His poor form is definitely a concern now.
    England 7/1 chasing 118 to win.
  • Options
    In all fairness Cook got an absolute belter of a delivery
  • Options
    I think Trott may open and Bell (when fit) / Bopara to come into the middle order for the Ashes if his form continues, looks stuck to the crease, feet in glue.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]In all fairness Cook got an absolute belter of a delivery

True but his last 7 test scores are 7, 23, 29, 8, 12, 17 and 4.

An average this summer of 14 isn't really good enough for a number 7 never mind an opener.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cook will benefit with a drop out of the squad. Not much he could of done about the one just now but he is in a shocker of form. Good call on Trott to open with Bell/Bopara in the middle.
  • Options
    Yet after playing out of his skin in the weeks leading up to his test rejection, Bopara now has three straight 1's in the championship and is suffering from a side strain which means he can't bowl and his batting is obviously limited as well... would you give Carberry a run then? I don't see how either Bell or Bopara can come in for the next two tests.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Yet after playing out of his skin in the weeks leading up to his test rejection, Bopara now has three straight 1's in the championship and is suffering from a side strain which means he can't bowl and his batting is obviously limited as well... would you give Carberry a run then? I don't see how either Bell or Bopara can come in for the next two tests.

Carberry has to be next in line on form and his fielding is outstanding too.
  • Options
    Easy win by 9 wickets in the end, Trott over 900 runs at 51, good record that.
  • Options
    I think they will stick with Cook, at least at the Oval. It wouldn't make much sense to play him in every match this year, then drophim as soon as we play on a pitch that's similar to pitches we'll play on in the Ashes.
  • Options
    Reading the comments, Cook's going to be in for the rest of the series. I'd like to see the side shaken up - put some pressure on Cook and Pietersen - the Aussies at their pomp would do that and we should be looking to do that also.
  • Options
    I think the pressure comes when Bell's fit. We're looking certain to take Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Collingwood, Morgan, Bell and one other. I'd give this winning team as much chance as possible to stick together and keep winnning together.

I also think Australia have a lot more to worry about than we do, right now.
  • Options
    I rate cook, although has been on bad form and unlucky dont think he should be dropped just yet. maybe if he continues not to perform the whole series then think about it but try keep the squad as we're winning so why change it
  • Options
    3rd test now. England in trouble at 70-5 at lunch.
    Cook fails again, scoring just 6.
  • Options
    One innings to save his England career for a year or so as cant see why they would take a chance on him, unless he goes back to Essex, works with Goochie and gets some big scores in County Cricket.

Looks like a toss you wouldnt mind losing though - would usually say bat at The Oval but Jimmy would have been devastating this morning.