Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 18s v Millwall

edited July 2010 in General Charlton
1-1 was the result but our kids outplayed Millwall for most of the game. There were no team sheets on Saturday (part of the cutbacks?) and most of the team were first year scholars so unknown to me but they played some very nice, fast and neat football at times - typical of Damian Matthew's teams. Our goal was a peach - a fast run down the left wing by a kid called (I think) Callum Harry, then some very fancy C Ronaldo-style tricks and step-overs from him took him past a couple of defenders and along the goal line, into the box, where he squared a great pass to someone (name unknown) who smashed it into the net. He was the pick of the players but there was also a good performance from our number 5 in central defence and by the skipper, number three, at left back. From what I picked up, the various coaches reckon that this current crop of U18s are a good lot. So, a chink of light in the prevailing gloom.....?

Comments

• Charlton will always have a good crop of youth players. With the Bexley league and London youth leagues, our catchment area is pretty decent.
  • That'll be Callum Harriott, seen a bit of him on CAFC Player. Liked what I saw of him, not just a brainless winger trying to sprint past players, he seemed to like running with it and also picking out a good pass or cross. Was on standby for England u16s in the Victory Shield last season, seems to be one of the more promising players in the new group.

Number 5 might have been Jordan Cousins, what did he look like?

Good to hear they played well. There's been match reports on the OS for their last couple of friendlies, but for some reason they haven't named the lineups.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

Good to hear they played well. There's been match reports on the OS for their last couple of friendlies, but for some reason they haven't named the lineups.

Is it not something to do with child protection laws? Or is that only applied to the U16 teams? As our U16 teams don't have any names published etc, perhaps it applies now to U18?

You need to hope you keep Academy status, we've let a lot of talent go at 17 due to becoming a School of Excellence again, something along the lines of being able to keep Academy players to an older age without a pro contract? Bit unsure of it myself.
  • No - it wasn't Jordan Cousins - it was fairly lanky white kid. The number 3 I mentioned was, I think, Joe Carter. Thanks for the info on Callum Harriot - he really did look very useful and had all the qualities you listed. As I said before, I really like the way Damian Matthew's teams play - if only the first team could match them!
  • Think that the number 5 was Morgan Fox who is a 1st year scholar - Jordan Cousins was ill with flu!
  • [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]No - it wasn't Jordan Cousins - it was fairly lanky white kid. The number 3 I mentioned was, I think, Joe Carter. Thanks for the info on Callum Harriot - he really did look very useful and had all the qualities you listed. As I said before, I really like the way Damian Matthew's teams play - if only the first team could match them!

If we have to rebuild from scratch like i think we do then Damien is my choice for coach his brand of football with the support that the young players will have from him puts him in pole position for me...

If damien goes IMO will be the worst decision made by the club in ages and thats saying something
  • [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Is it not something to do with child protection laws? Or is that only applied to the U16 teams? As our U16 teams don't have any names published etc, perhaps it applies now to U18?
    They used to name the u16 lineups, but yeah I think child protection rules changed that (similarly u16s are no longer allowed to be in the Football Manager games).

It's probably just because it's a friendly.
    [cite]Posted By: BigPaul[/cite]Think that the number 5 was Morgan Fox who is a 1st year scholar - Jordan Cousins was ill with flu!
    Probably him then, although Harry Osbourne is another new 1st year centre back. Don't know what either of them look like.
  • You know you're getting old when your teams new young hopes are called Callum, Morgan and Jordan. Where are the likes of Steve, John, Mark and Dave?!!
  • I think you will find that in next couple of years the Charlton fist team will consist solely of the current 1st year pro's, 2nd and 1st year scholars - they are a decent crop of players across the board and with a bit more experience it will be a good homegrown team. The days of bringing high earning players from abroad or higher divisions are definitely gone. Might take a year or two though.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]No - it wasn't Jordan Cousins - it was fairly lanky white kid. The number 3 I mentioned was, I think, Joe Carter. Thanks for the info on Callum Harriot - he really did look very useful and had all the qualities you listed. As I said before, I really like the way Damian Matthew's teams play - if only the first team could match them![/quote]

If we have to rebuild from scratch like i think we do then Damien is my choice for coach his brand of football with the support that the young players will have from him puts him in pole position for me...

If damien goes IMO will be the worst decision made by the club in ages and thats saying something[/quote]

Agree with you 100% NLA. I know he loves the club - but I think other clubs have seen his talent and are sniffing around.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Is it not something to do with child protection laws? Or is that only applied to the U16 teams? As our U16 teams don't have any names published etc, perhaps it applies now to U18?
    [/quote]
    They used to name the u16 lineups, but yeah I think child protection rules changed that (similarly u16s are no longer allowed to be in the Football Manager games).

It's probably just because it's a friendly.

[quote][cite]Posted By: BigPaul[/cite]Think that the number 5 was Morgan Fox who is a 1st year scholar - Jordan Cousins was ill with flu![/quote]
    Probably him then, although Harry Osbourne is another new 1st year centre back. Don't know what either of them look like.[/quote]

Might have been Harry Osbourne - seem to remember hearing someone call out 'Harry' at one point.
  • I really enjoy these insights into the Academy.

Would be good to have a regular, fuller reports from games and a player profile, perhaps once a month.

Scoham/Nadou how about it?
  • Might have been Harry Osbourne - seem to remember hearing someone call out 'Harry' at one point.[/quote]

Harry Osbourne is mixed race - Morgan Fox is white.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I really enjoy these insights into the Academy.

Would be good to have a regular, fuller reports from games and a player profile, perhaps once a month.

I can report on how they're doing, but I don't see them regularly, don't live close enough to be able to get to games. I see them in the occasional youth cup game, a few pre-season friendlies (well that's more the young pros) and anything on CAFC Player or TV (eg for England in the Victory Shield). Can usually get a good idea about the type of player they are from seeing them a few times, but there must be others out there that see them far more than me.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I really enjoy these insights into the Academy.

But we don't want to put too much pressure on them to succeed. The last thing they want is to come on here and read that they are being lauded as the future of this club.
    Need to be careful with that
  • What sort of time do they play on a Saturday?

I might go to a few before Charlton home games
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I really enjoy these insights into the Academy.

But we don't want to put too much pressure on them to succeed. The last thing they want is to come on here and read that they are being lauded as the future of this club.

also that may be why we dont give a team list now, i reckon its to stop people poaching our players at a young age as has been done a couple of times recently. I dont want there to be a feature because it may highlight a good prospect and put them on another clubs radar and we dont want to encourage that

Stick to how it is, keep them playing and dont give out the team list so its harder for clubs to see how our players are doing i'll say
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]What sort of time do they play on a Saturday?

I might go to a few before Charlton home games
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/fixtures.ink?team=8&diary=&season=10/11

Fixtures announced just now, all home and away are 11.30am on a Saturday.
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]also that may be why we dont give a team list now, i reckon its to stop people poaching our players at a young age as has been done a couple of times recently. I dont want there to be a feature because it may highlight a good prospect and put them on another clubs radar and we dont want to encourage that

Stick to how it is, keep them playing and dont give out the team list so its harder for clubs to see how our players are doing i'll say
    I know what you mean, but I think the better players are known about. They're in the England youth sides, or turn pro early, might be noticed playing well against another club etc. Shelvey for example we couldn't have "hidden" him just by not handing out team sheets.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I really enjoy these insights into the Academy.

Stick to how it is, keep them playing and dont give out the team list so its harder for clubs to see how our players are doing i'll say[/quote]

Do you seriously think that not having a team sheet is going to stop someone finding out the name of a player if they are interested? The scouts are much too canny to be put off by something like that. Plus they usually know in advance who they want to look at - good players come onto scouts' radars very early on in their careers. And I don't for a moment think that having team sheets in the past has led to a single one of our players being poached more easily.
  • i dont think thats why it was merely just saying it could help them go under the radar a bit more, obviously not going to stop a scout/manager finding out a players name but thought it would make it bit harder for them lol
  • Sponsored links:

• The little winger, No11, looked to have something. The rest were ok. Centre halves hoofing the
    ball too much for my liking. When they got it on the floor they looked far better.

Good game for a pre season friendly mind.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I really enjoy these insights into the Academy.

I think the last thing they'd want would be to come on here and read that they're being slagged off as "useless" or worse. We really ought to bear in mind that players, coaches and managers are human beings with human feelings, you know: not avatars in some computer game. Not applicable to this thread, I know, but sometimes we do need reminding.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I really enjoy these insights into the Academy.

I think the last thing they'd want would be to come on here and read that they're being slagged off as "useless" or worse. We really ought to bear in mind that players, coaches and managers are human beings with human feelings, you know: not avatars in some computer game. Not applicable to this thread, I know, but sometimes we do need reminding.[/quote]

Thanks for reminding us.
  • [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]

I think the last thing they'd want would be to come on here and read that they're being slagged off as "useless" or worse. We really ought to bear in mind that players, coaches and managers are human beings with human feelings, you know: not avatars in some computer game. Not applicable to this thread, I know, but sometimes we do need reminding.

Thanks for reminding us.

Sorry. Sermon over.
  • Nadou,
    Many thanks for the updates, even if there are gaps in the information. I know you have long taken an interest in the youth and in Damian Matthews approach to the development of our players. Given we haven't a pot so to speak, it is great to know to what degree there may be hope in the future.
    I mentioned in another thread that folk who slag off the young players are damaging our club....I want to see an end to that, and an increase in support like yours.
  • edited July 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]What sort of time do they play on a Saturday?

Usually 11.0am. And I should add that the football is often much more fun to watch than the 1st team!
  • Good stuff!
  • http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36331

Report now on the OS, no line up unfortunately, but might be because it's pre-season.

It was striker Joe Pigott who Callum Harriott set up for the goal.

Few interesting quotes from Damian Matthew, as Nadou's first post says they do seem to rate this group.
    "In terms of our play, we've got some good wide players this year, we've got attacking forces in terms of the front players, and we've got very, very good defenders. So there is a nice balance this season.

"The keepers are acquitting themselves well, too. George Howard has signed his scholarship but he will have to be patient with Conor [Gough] and Brandon [Hall] in front of him. But that's part of being a goalkeeper, being patient and developing."
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I really enjoy these insights into the Academy.

I think the last thing they'd want would be to come on here and read that they're being slagged off as "useless" or worse. We really ought to bear in mind that players, coaches and managers are human beings with human feelings, you know: not avatars in some computer game. Not applicable to this thread, I know, but sometimes we do need reminding.[/quote]

Thanks for reminding us.[/quote]

Sorry. Sermon over.[/quote]

Actually, Gilbert, having seen the kind of negative things people are saying about the kids on the Bromley Match thread, I'm inclined to agree with you. Hardened pros might sometimes be fair game for criticism but some of the things people are saying about developing young players can't do anything positive. So, while I love going to Sparrows Lane and seeing the U18s and U16s play - especially in the morning before a home game at The Valley - and wanted to encourage more people to go along, I now hope they don't come because they'd only start slagging off the kids.
  • CAFCofficial U18s defeated a Kent League XI 4-3 with goals from Willer, Popo (2) and Harriott (GH)
    about 1 hour ago

From Twitter