Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

School proms

My road was chokka block last night with pink limos,spotty boys in their dad's old suits and girls undercoated with fake tan and make up whilst wearing some of the most garish coloured dresses i've ever seen.The whole thing was pretty brutal on the eye i can tell you.

And the yanks have the cheek to moan about US letting a little bit of oil seep into the ocean.

Comments

• It is just an excuse for a bit of sneaky underage drinking, and a chance for the remaining few to lose their virginity.
  • Another US import we could do without! Don't get me wrong - I've visited the US on a few occasions and I love it, but I don't want Britain to become "americanised", I want us to retain our own traditions and identity. Fireworks night, not trick or treat (just thought I'd get that one off my chest!).
  • just done this for my daughter, dress,limo,hair,nails etc etc etc = £500, I say spill more oil until they stop exporting these great ideas!!!!!
  • edited July 2010
    I loved our school parties. smell my finger.

and no it wasnt an all boys school party!
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]It is just an excuse for a bit of sneaky drinking, and a chance for the remaining few to lose their virginity.

Isnt that what the CL meet ups are for? ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite] but I don't want Britain to become "americanised", I want us to retain our own traditions and identity. Fireworks night, not trick or treat (just thought I'd get that one off my chest!).

Too late.

The first time I heard of Trick or Treat was watching Charlie Brown and I remember Prom night from various American sitcoms. Also, Year 9 instead of 3rd Year and I heard my surrogate 14 year old daughter spelling the word JAZZ to a friend Jay-A-Zee-Zee. It's ZED for funk's sake!
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]It is just an excuse for a bit of sneaky underage drinking, and a chance for the remaining few to lose their virginity.

Don't discount those who indulge in some underage drinking and lose their virginity.
  • What the heck was wrong with an old fashioned school disco anyway? All the smeaky underage drinking and fumbling behind the bike sheds minus the expensive dresses and garish limos. Basically the same as a school prom just done in an understated/cheapskate british style.
  • Fucking load of old toss, all of it. The only thing Americans do that's worth even a second glance is sport - and even then it only 'works' in the US and would be shite if we did it over here. Completely broken country.
  • I'm with Exiled - we did it and called it a disco, and there was no need whatsoever to spend any more than the price of the ticket to get in.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]but I don't want Britain to become "americanised", I want us to retain our own traditions and identity. Fireworks night, not trick or treat (just thought I'd get that one off my chest!).

Too late.

The first time I heard of Trick or Treat was watching Charlie Brown and I remember Prom night from various American sitcoms. Also, Year 9 instead of 3rd Year and I heard my surrogate 14 year old daughter spelling the word JAZZ to a friend Jay-A-Zee-Zee. It's ZED for funk's sake!

I be more concerned about the fact that your daughter is hanging around with someone who can't spell Jazz on their own.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Fucking load of old toss, all of it. The only thing Americans do that's worth even a second glance is sport - and even then it only 'works' in the US and would be shite if we did it over here. Completely broken country.

Americans do fit women.
  • [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]but I don't want Britain to become "americanised", I want us to retain our own traditions and identity. Fireworks night, not trick or treat (just thought I'd get that one off my chest!).

Too late.

I be more concerned about the fact that your daughter is hanging around with someone who can't spell Jazz on their own.

At least her grammar is probably correct.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]

Too late.

I be more concernedabout the fact that your daughter is hanging around with someone who can't spell Jazz on their own.

At least her grammar is probably correct.

He might be from Zummerzet.
  • I'm constantly surprised at the over indulgence of kids these days. What's wrong with the school or the parents saying "No!" once in a while? There's a recession on, times are tight, yet parents are still put under pressure to spend £100's on something that is a complete invention of recent years and frankly pointless when cheaper, just as much fun, alternatives are available. There was a programme on the other night about childrens birthday parties where parents were spending £1000's - it made me so angry I had to turn it over.

Grumpy of Dorzet...
  • The money the girls spend on dresses could be saved by buying a plain white shift and a box of highlighter pens of the colour of their choice.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Fucking load of old toss, all of it. The only thing Americans do that's worth even a second glance is sport - and even then it only 'works' in the US and would be shite if we did it over here. Completely broken country.

Oh! and there was me looking forward to my fortnight off next month down in Oregon :-(
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary

Americans do fit women.

And some right munters too
  • We are a cheery lighthearted bunch sometimes. Life changes for each generation. Did any of you moaners go to a tea dance ? No of course not. Get over it.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]We are a cheery lighthearted bunch sometimes. Life changes for each generation. Did any of you moaners go to a tea dance ? No of course not. Get over it.

Maybe Len did ;-)

In all seriousness you're right of course and I'm sure when my parents left school they maybe had some sort of celebration too but I doubt it was significantly more expensive to them than mine was to me. A generation later and kids are not happy unless they've made their parents shell out £100's for tuxedo hire/new dresses (and they can't come from Top Shop!), limo/converted fire engine/boat/helicopter hire (yes I know of someone around here that did that too). In the space of a couple of decades kids, or rather the parents are, are spending on one evening the equivalent cost of a first car. People are getting themselves further into debt to pay for this sort of thing and however you look at it that's not a good thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    Americans do fit women.

Far too many teeth.
  • Waste of money, all I can say.
  • edited July 2010
    I suppose much of the population would say that spending hundreds of pounds a year watching a couple of dozen men kicking a football around was a waste of money. Pesonally I cant see what's wrong with a school prom costing a hundred pounds if that's what people want to spend their money on.
  • I understand what your saying, but it cant be healthy spending hundreds of pounds to spoil a child with a big pink limo such as the ones driving through Ashford high street the other week
  • edited July 2010
    Not sure that spending money on a child is necessarily going to spoil them. How teenagers turn out is far more complex than that. You could also argue that denying the child that experience would have a detrimental effect also. The youth of today is criticised and demonised far too much imho. The friends of my 19 year old daughter and the young people I work with are mostly fine examples of what young people should be. There are perhaps more not so desirable kids around these days but on the whole young people are fine.
  • Didnt have them back in my day (late '70s) but I wouldnt have gone anyway...... went to an all boys school.
    My son had a leavers do a few weeks back it wernt called a prom.
    If people want to spend large amounts of money on their children so be it. You cant take it with you and hopefully your children will get it anyway.
  • All a bit Millwall innit