Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southampton

go from skint to appointing one of the top sports marketers in Europe

fecking piss take.

"Southampton FC unveils new head of marketing
Source: Marketing Week | Author: Joe Fernandez | Published: 19 July 2010 16:45
Rickie Lambert

Southampton Football Club has appointed former Uefa marketer Scott Steedman as its head of sales and marketing.

Steedman will reporting to executive chairman Nicola Cortese, and will be responsible for corporate sales, sponsorship, marketing and the ticket office.

The club says he will “lead the sales teams in order to improve the service and opportunities for our corporate clients.”

He starts at St Mary’s on 30 August and will join the Club’s executive committee.

Steedman is currently the marketing and commercial domain leader for Team
Marketing, the exclusive marketing agent for Uefa’s club football competitions based in Lucerne, Switzerland.

At Uefa, he oversaw sales for all the major UEFA competitions and strategic counsel to the major sponsors such as Nike, Toyota, Banco Santander and Canon, plus the creation of pan-European marketing initiatives.

He says: “It is clear to me that Southampton Football Club has serious ambition to return the highest levels in football. I bring considerable international experience in sport and football marketing in particular. I am looking forward to my new role enormously. I am convinced this club can go a long way.”

Cortese adds: “I am delighted to have been able to convince Scott to become part of our vision for the future, and know that he will be a great asset to the Club. We are intent on fulfilling our ambitions, and this is another indication of the importance we place on providing a top level of service and support for our corporate clients.”

Comments

• it does make you sick really doesn't it, a pretty ruthless exploitation of the administration process
  • edited July 2010
    As much as it takes the piss, and that it does. They've done all that is asked of them and come back stronger. I've firmly believed that administration should mean relegation at least 1 division, maybe 2. But as it is I currently I won't blame Southampton or any of the other clubs using the rules to their advantage.
  • How does it take the piss? They got bought out by a rich guy so they can afford this stuff? get over it .
  • It takes the piss.
  • [cite]Posted By: SamB09[/cite]How does it take the piss? They got bought out by a rich guy so they can afford this stuff? get over it .

Lucky you weren't owed any money by them pre-administration... maybe your attitude would differ!

They cynically exploited the process, wipe debts, pre-pack administration, white horse comes in, hallelujah... what about the local businesses/suppliers?
  • No fairytales in football nowadays i'm afraid.

Money and Greed as far as the eye can see.We all owe Rupert Murdoch so much.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: SamB09[/cite]How does it take the piss? They got bought out by a rich guy so they can afford this stuff? get over it .[/quote]

Lucky you weren't owed any money by them pre-administration... maybe your attitude would differ!

They cynically exploited the process, wipe debts, pre-pack administration, white horse comes in, hallelujah... what about the local businesses/suppliers?[/quote]

Although that is true, on balance, frankly I wish our Board had done it. But they didn't, not on principle I suspect but because they are the ones who would suffer most.
  • spot on there 24 Red.

the majority of our debt is "internal"... therefore a 20p in the pound or less scenario is effectively Murray et al stuffing themselves.
  • To be fair I'm pretty sure they paid all their debts in full, so if true, no one got screwed
  • As you say Leaburn, a disgusting exploitation of the administration process that under the league's rules effectively rewards bad housekeeping. If we could write off our debts, how attractive would we be to a potential buyer? I wonder how many local small businesses went under around Southampton as a result?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2010
    When Pompey went into admin the local newsagent couldn't afford to go on his holiday!
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]To be fair I'm pretty sure they paid all their debts in full, so if true, no one got screwed

My sauce tells me that Norwich Union took a hit of £13m on Southampton FC debt. Not sure if that's the exact figure for them.
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]My sauce tells me that Norwich Union took a hit of £13m on Southampton FC debt.

That's not an "OK Sauce", is it ?
  • I trust it.

High Performance Sauce.

HP Sauce to you.
  • My sauce tells me that Norwich Union took a hit of £13m on Southampton FC debt. Not sure if that's the exact figure for them.[/quote]

Perhaps they should have been paying on HP?
  • You've got a bit to Ketchup on, BFR.

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]You've got a bit to Ketchup on, BFR.

;o)
    So-y I see.
  • Maybe the Saints will sign Matt Hollandaise?
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Maybe the Saints will sign Matt Hollandaise?

They Mayo may not.
  • Surely with Pardw at the helm he'll find someway to destroy them, tbh I never really minded Southampton and they did what they had to, to sort themselves out, just Pardew makes me really dislike them.
  • Sponsored links:

• My source/sauce is wondering what will happen if Pardew manages to balls it up this season by failing to march on to the expected easy promotion.

I'm remembering our first season in the Championship, - comfortably in the Play Off positions with about 15 games to go. He tinkered by bringing in new players, supposedly to consolidate our position and whoosh, down we plummeted.
    Our one chance of getting back to the Premiership was dashed and our club was on the way to tier 3.

Southampton must have seen Pardew's ineptitude so will they give him a chance to continue if they aren't comfortably top of the league at Christmas?

With regards their administration, they should have been relegated but by today's rules, they've done nothing wrong.
    Legally they are fine. Morally they are vermin.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]My sauce tells me that Norwich Union took a hit of £13m on Southampton FC debt. Not sure if that's the exact figure for them.

Perhaps they should have been paying on HP?

Barclays were owed over 4m as well.