Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League to put £6m into Conference football

http://www.footballconference.co.uk/news/3638/Premier_League_Commits_%C2%A36m_of_.html
The Premier League today announced a solidarity package with the Football Conference worth £6m over the next three seasons.

Following the £1m payment made to the Football Conference in 2009/10 the Premier League has decided to provide funding for seasons 2010/11, 2011/12 and 2012/13 that will support all Football Conference clubs.

The funding will be split into general payments made to all sixty-eight Conference clubs and a separate club development fund which any Conference club can apply to for specific projects.

The funding will be structured in the following way:

£1.2m per season provided as funds to support all Football Conference clubs.

£800,000 per season committed to a new club development fund to which all Conference clubs can apply.

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said: “The Premier League and our member clubs recognise the importance of the continued health of football outside the Football League and it is with this in mind that we have made this commitment to the Football Conference.

“In particular, we are extremely pleased to be working with the Football Conference to establish a new club development fund that will allow Conference clubs, all extremely important within their local communities, to invest more funds into local youth development and good cause initiatives.”

Football Conference chairman Brian Lee said: “This is a further wonderful gesture of friendship from the Premier League towards the Football Conference.

“The solidarity commitment for three years is most welcome whilst the new funding will allow our clubs to express themselves in a tangible form for the benefit of their communities. We accept the challenge with gratitude.”
That's including Blue Square North/South clubs. Good news for them could keep some clubs going I'd imagine.

Comments

• Good to see this and about time too, some might say.

Looks like the Premier League is fearing the beginning of a bit of a backlash after England's feeble efforts in SA and moving proactively to head it off...
  • It's crumbs off the table for the Premier League to pay ....... but what a difference it could make to a struggling non-league club!

It's guaranteed over a 3 year period too, so breaking down to around £2m a season - double what the Prem League contributed last year.

A fair slice makes up this Special Club Development Fund. It'll be interesting to see how applications are received and for what the money is distributed?

But I don't think the Prem League are obliged to do anything for non-league clubs.
    So it's a positive gesture and a step in the right direction, building on that of previous seasons.
  • Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said: “The Premier League and our member clubs recognise the importance of the continued health of football outside the Football League and it is with this in mind that we have made this commitment to the Football Conference.

Yeah, shame they don't recognise it in the Football League unless you have just been relegated
  • But they do recognise it ....... each division of the Football League gets a total amount to distribute amongst their member clubs. That's on top of the 'parachute payment'.

Whether this is paid directly by Sky TV contract money or directly by the Premier LeagueI can't remember.
    But I suppose it's considered to be the same.
  • I could be wrong but as i understand that, its £2m a season which divided by the 68 clubs works out £29,411 for each club. Not exactly much is it?

It's obviously a step in the right direction and it's £29k a season more than nothing but each club ends up with around the same as Kieron Dyer earns in 3 days.
  • edited July 2010
    I thought the championship was more than that per club, and it dropped off a lot more into league 1 and 2

whoops sorry misread this thread somehow..
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I could be wrong but as i understand that, its £2m a season which divided by the 68 clubs works out £29,411 for each club. Not exactly much is it?

It's obviously a step in the right direction and it's £29k a season more than nothing but each club ends up with around the same as Kieron Dyer earns in 3 days.

but I'd imagine that 29k is the equivilant as the gate receipts from about 10 home games for Welling, so fairly significient in that context.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I could be wrong but as i understand that, its £2m a season which divided by the 68 clubs works out £29,411 for each club. Not exactly much is it?

but I'd imagine that 29k is the equivilant as the gate receipts from about 10 home games for Welling, so fairly significient in that context.

True and obviously they don't actually have to give them anything, i just feel it's next to nothing really considering what the PL actually make.
  • I've always been puzzled how a conference team like Welling can survive. I know for a fact when they were in the conference, a few of their players were on £500 a week....and thats P/T. Someone must lose (or as they probably see it, spend) alot of their own money.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I've always been puzzled how a conference team like Welling can survive. I know for a fact when they were in the conference, a few of their players were on £500 a week....and thats P/T. Someone must lose (or as they probably see it, spend) alot of their own money.

What football club does actually make money though?

Not many, most run at a loss, we should try and copy the German way of doing it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great news for clubs like Ebbsfleet and Welling. £29k is a lot of money to clubs of that size. It would be a sad day to lose clubs of their like that many of us go to watch on a few ocassions a season. If we think our plight is bad, spare a thought for the those that have been going to Ebbsfleet / Gravesend & Northfleet for a number of years - they are really on the point of no return.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I've always been puzzled how a conference team like Welling can survive. I know for a fact when they were in the conference, a few of their players were on £500 a week....and thats P/T. Someone must lose (or as they probably see it, spend) alot of their own money.

What football club does actually make money though?

Not many, most run at a loss, we should try and copy the German way of doing it.
    What's the German way?
  • Im glad some money is filtering down, but have to say £2m is really quite paltry in the realms of players demanding £100k a week.