Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ideas to help the Club (2010 thread)

edited May 2020 in General Charlton
but out of adversity could we create something?

A play-off final ticket would cost an average of £50 or thereabouts.

Therefore if the 30,000 or so that would have attended the play-off final donated that £50 to the Supporters' Trust (what is happening with that by the way?) we would raise £1.5 million which would help enormously.

How to best use this money is up for debate but, in no particular order, I suggest:

1) Make an offer to purchase The Valley thus placing it effectively in fans ownership

2) Purchase the training ground

3) Take a stake in the academy given that we will almost certainly be reliant on our youth products for the forseeable future.

Feel free to add suggestions. Am I completely mad?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    good idea but we would need a fair bit more than that, but I for one would be interested

we could also get the club/stroke players involved with the ebay auctions thing or run our own, i am sure there is some memorabilia that we could get to flog
  • You are completely spot on are you up for collecting the cash ;-)

i would willing contribute to something like this
  • Great idea if it got worked - and i'd put in the £64 i was going to spend on a Wembley ticket.

That being said, the Supporters Trust seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.
  • No, actually it's a very good idea.

No clue what is happening with the Supporters' Trust other than not a lot but as I'm not involved there could be something rumbling on.

The Valley might be stretching it but why not be ambitious.
  • I'd be interested , good idea Len
  • Stupid, Len?

Well, I don't know about that - but it's good constructive thinking which could well lead to positive and beneficial results.

[cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The Valley might be stretching it but why not be ambitious.

I understood The Valley was collateral to the Covered End (sorry, North Stand) mortgage, and perhaps other borrowings too?
    So can't see the stadium being bought by a fans entity unless the club can pay off secured loans first.

But again, nice idea.
  • Count me in.

I did the Valley Investment Plan last time, still got the stificate

And, I helped buy Ronnie Moore!
  • maybe could pay off the secured loan but I think the Training ground would be cheaper £120k I think it was opposed to £5m.

Wouldn't need a Trust but it would be a legal entity which would make handling the money and purchases more straightforward.

Still happy to put anyone who wants to get the Trust idea going in touch with Supporters' Direct but not going to do myself.
  • I would go for it. but I suspect the 30,000 or so others might not.
  • I agree, reckon 1000 tops would go for it.
    I'd give my last penny but unfortunately not many would.
  • Sponsored links:

• If the club are so serious Henners about the future of the club, why don't they gift the Valley to the Trust? I suppose the mortgage is an issue?
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]If the club are so serious Henners about the future of the club, why don't they gift the Valley to the Trust? I suppose the mortgage is an issue?

The mortgage is an issue

That there is no Trust is also an issue but one for the fans not the Club.

Doubt they would gift it for a number of reasons even if there were not mortgage. It would make the Club less attractive to any buyer, they wouldn't be able to use it as security on future loans and could mean paying rent to the Trust where as at the moment there is no rent.

The other problem about fans owning the ground or training ground is what do we do if the Club doesn't pay the rent? Let it go? Evict them? Issue a winding up order
  • 1000k supporters at £500 = £500,000
    might get more people interested than 30,000@50
  • I think its a great idea in principle Len. However, i think you would only get 3000 or so people that go week in week out, home & away that would be up for it. Yes we would have sold out 30,000/40,000 at Wembley but alot of people, inc kids, would just be paying the money for the day out.
  • Yes I take your point

I wonder if a freehold/lease arrangement would work better.

I'm no expert but you can borrow on a lease

It would remove the need for rent, costs of running it would be handled by the club, and indeed maintenance

Would mean the trust could stipulate use etc

Would secure the freehold from being sold off
  • Good idea. Now is definitely the time for constructive thinking like this.
  • 18,250 home fans on Monday x wws 64 notes is 1.1m in the bank, secure trainning ground or 3 or 4 players?
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Yes I take your point

I wonder if a freehold/lease arrangement would work better.

I'm no expert but you can borrow on a lease

It would remove the need for rent, costs of running it would be handled by the club, and indeed maintenance

Would mean the trust could stipulate use etc

Would secure the freehold from being sold off

I can see finance being an issue however, the value of a lease with restrictions would be nothing like the value of a freehold with none I would guess. There is also a need to pay off the finance on the ground (5m?).
  • Razil, stipulating the use? Get on to AEG!! They are openly looking for an 'outdoor' stadium to use and have approached the olympic commitee for use of the stadium as an occasional venue.. why when the valley is 5 mins from there pride and joy!! The 02 and the valley makes perfect sense!!!
  • All good stuff but...

Got to take it on and make it happen and that means a group of people putting in the donkey work.

It's not going to be me for reasons I've given before and in any case there are a lot of more talented people out there.

So it is going to have to be YOU, yes YOU, the person reading this, YOU. Go on, make it happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2010
    I think it is brilliant that supporters are looking at positive ways to help the club.

However, i am fearful that the lack of structure to take such things forward is a real holding-back issue.

I also think that the amount of people who would be interested in supporting such a scheme is grossly exaggerated.

The club is suffering from two key issues:

1. the level of debt that it is carrying
    2. and this is the current key one, the fact that it cannot at present get anywhere close to operating at a break-even basis.

Supporters may well be able to participate in big ticket, short-term schemes that may help to reduce the outstanding debt, but a short-term scheme will do nothing to help the 2nd point over than simply papering over the cracks and delaying the inevitable.

How supporters could help on the 2nd point is to do what we could to increase our season-ticket holder base, increase the matchday sales, and try and increase the constant income the club receives and needs to budget on.
  • How about a sleep over for kids, pitch up a tent on the pitch for the night. Arsenal done this last week.
  • If we went in to admin could we cancel any player contracts?
  • for £500,000 you could get couple of free transfers on one year deals (on about £4k a week) and donate them to the club.
  • I was thinking the same thing the other night whilst walking to the ground.

If we could get 1000 people to put in £1000 each (a lot of money - I appreciate that) then that is £1million towards the club and its running costs. Or maybe increments of £500

In return you could get something like a name plaque on your seat, a brick in a Charlton Supporters VIP wall, your name on a shirt (didn't someone do that once?) or a page in the program with all the names - something that will last.

Who knows - if the good times come back maybe the club would reimburse these fans but that's another story!

There's definitely scope for things like this and I'd be interested if anything took place
  • I'd support anything of this nature, finances permitting. After family, Charlton is my life - sad, but true.

There must be SOMEONE on here who has the time, energy, know how to look further into the suggestions made & hopefully set the ball rolling. I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple of Lifers seeking employment at this time ....If one of them has any expertise in the aforementioned field, how about offering, say £500 of the monies pledged to pay for their time ie kind of commission....?

Waiting to be sunk....But can't bear the thought of sitting on our hands in the close season whilst "Rome" burns.
  • How about a Cake sale?
  • OK, it would be good if you felt as if you'd got something in exchange. So here's my idea. I'm in block P west upper. The block next door and nearer the halfway line is, I guess, used for corporate. It has nice padded seats; we don't. As far as I can tell the seats are actually exactly the same but have a padded "sleeve" fitted over the seat and backrest. Let's say they cost 50 quid to fit. If the club said they'd fit padded seats to S/T holders' individual seats for £100 would you go for it? The beauty of this is that once it was done and paid for not only would you have a comfy seat (no good for all those that like to stand I guess) but you'd also be more inclined to renew your season ticket to keep it. Or the club could charge more to the next incumbent. Of course your near neighbours would have to keep up with the Joneses and get their's done too.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]In return you could get something like a name plaque on your seat, a brick in a Charlton Supporters VIP wall, your name on a shirt (didn't someone do that once?) or a page in the program with all the names - something that will last.

When I was at Southampton's ground a few weeks ago, they had the ground level outside walls of the stands, with each brick in the wall sponsored by individual supporters.
  • That's already been done at Charlton. My family has paving slab, slap bang in the middle of the ground outside reception.