Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Election update....

edited May 2010 in Rumours
On a train for the next couple of hours.

What's happening ?

No preference or opininion, just FACT please.

Comments

• Labour take first seat in Sunderland.
  • We're winning...
  • Come on now keep me going....
  • People unable to vote in various places, doors closed with people outside. Could be legal proceedings, sounds like bush and LA.
  • Some voters are having a lock in....!!!
  • sunderland centeral = labour
  • We've had 15 hours to vote - anyone who leaves it so late they risk not getting into the polling station has only themselves to blame. I voted by post a week ago. If anyone feels that 15 hours isn't long enough they too could have voted by post.
  • People in Sunderland reckon they were queueing for 2-3hrs!
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]People in Sunderland reckon they were queueing for 2-3hrs!
    Must have thought it was double giro day...
  • Only in a UK election can there be uproar that a couple of people couldn't vote, but a bomb scare in Northern Ireland is standard.
  • Sponsored links:

• c4 alternative election night making it interesting. I don't see the point of all the analysis on the other channels before the results. It's like reviewing a football game before the first whistle. Save the analysis for the morning. If it wasn't for Jimmy Carr/uni deadlines I'd be asleep.....
  • Why are ITV ahead of BBC? And who are these two 'Others'?
  • thought the same IA so bored YAWN
  • Cameron has gone to the pub ! Gone up in my estimation !
  • I'm dying to know which polling station in Lewisham had the police called and 300 people turned away.
  • i know that lewisham were still arranging staff for their polling stations on weds evening as was with a LB lewisham employee who took a call at about 7.00pm about were to go the next day.
  • Great, we're going to get a Lab-Lib government, buy gold.
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]I'm dying to know which polling station in Lewisham had the police called and 300 people turned away.
    Looked like Ladywell. I voted at 5:30 and there were no queues.

Votes still being counted, which means I didn't miss the romance of seeing my area on tv, nice.
  • Biggest queues I have seen at my place since I have been voting.

Probably one of the safest seats in the country I reckon.

Conservative 30,700, next was about 6,000.
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]I'm dying to know which polling station in Lewisham had the police called and 300 people turned away.

i know someone who worked at a lewisham polling station yesterday and she has said she's glad she wasn't at crofton park. i'm guessing that she's reffering to this.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]I'm dying to know which polling station in Lewisham had the police called and 300 people turned away.
    Looked like Ladywell. I voted at 5:30 and there were no queues.

Votes still being counted, which means I didn't miss the romance of seeing my area on tv, nice.

Yeah I saw Prendergast School on the news, that's the one opposite Hillly Fields on the way to Brockley.
  • what does it all mean though??

To me it seems that Brown shouldnt be PM

It all depends on libs joining with someone

Cons gaining the most seats since the war

but who will be PM

Why does there need to be such a big majority surely a 50 seat swing is big enough if not why not i dont understand

if libs join lab the majority will be less than the 50 currently held by the torries so we are in the same position not enough for a majority

in my opinion surely the best thing and the thing that most seem to have requested is labour out, the Libs got less than had before and far less than they hoped so they are out of the game and that leaves the torries to run government

reminds me of when mourinho said that Charlton didnt beat cheski in the league cup as penalties dont count.
  • Cause you can't really pass legislation without one. For example the Tories have a minority administration, try to put through an emergency budget next month, but can't, and if that fails, they'll be a vote of confidence, and the government falls.

We'll have another election in October, cause nothing will happen, unless Lib/Lab, with a bit of SDLP and the Nationalist can do a deal
  • so if lab and lib combine who would be pm?

would lab look to remove brown as i see him as the reason they have fallen short

if lib and lab do combine there is still no majority so do you think we will go back to the polls again??
  • It was Crofton Park (my polling station had I bothered to walk round the corner), but seems reports have been exaggerated. Apologies to NS for posting his paper's links.
    Shopper Scoops The Story
  • I suspect Clegg might say that if the Libs do the deal, he should be PM, as Brown is a busted flush, you can't have a Labour PM who isn't Brown, as the public won't accept someone who hasn't been in the debates.

If that doesn't happen, I can then see Clegg saying to Cameron, that he'll give him enough votes when needed to survive a vote of no confidence, but give us a referendum on PR.

Don't think Cameron will accept that, so we'll do this all again in October, with Cameron as a weakened PM
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]c4 alternative election night making it interesting. I don't see the point of all the analysis on the other channels before the results. It's like reviewing a football game before the first whistle. Save the analysis for the morning. If it wasn't for Jimmy Carr/uni deadlines I'd be asleep.....

completely agree with this, watched it until about 11.30 then found live updates interesting! although anyone notice that itv got results quicker then BBC
  • Saying that, if I was a Labour top bod, I'll offer the Lib Dems a two year fixed term govt, focus on the economy and PR, and watch Nick and Vince chew the Labour Party's arm off.
  • Rothko, you know more about politics than me but if we did go to vote again with a potential Lab/Lib v Conservative scenario do you not think the public would be more likely to vote for the single party - Conservative.
  • My gut feeling is that Cameron will turn round in a couple of months, and say he can't get anything done because of the Libs and Lab, and will ask for another election to get a majority, whether the result would be massively different is open to debate, especially as they'll be a new Labour leader, so the poison of Brown will have gone.