Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ten and a half things you never knew about....Brighton

1. Brighton Pier was destroyed during WWII by proto-type Nuclear Bomb delivered by a V2 rocket.

Thankfully the Nazis never found out how successful it had been and America won the war with us coming second.

2. The away end at Brighton is 0.9 miles from the far goal, the furthest such distance any where in Western Europe

3. There is a large gay community in Brighton but thankfully visiting football fans rarely make reference to this in song, an indication of how society's attitudes have moved on in recent times.

4. A recent Gallup polled showed that, in fact, Brighton do hate Palace more than we do.

5. Brighton and Hove FC were once embarrassed when they tried to sign the player Diago Garcia only to find "he" was in fact the capital of British Indian Ocean Territory

Comments

• edited February 2010
    5. Brighton on takes its name from a sixties hippy-nudist colony. The hippies always greeted each other with the phrase "right-on" but the chilly winds on the south coast meant that this was often preceded by an involuntary "brrr" sound.
  • edited February 2010
    6. Brighton were forced to sell their previous ground when a gold stone was found under the pitch. Prospectors took over half of Sussex and mob rule ensued. Sadly it turned out to be just a single nugget left over from the infamous Curbishley pay-off job.
  • 5.Quadrophenia was filmed there. The who film Bill Curbishleyetc.
    6. Brighton have had 2 ex Charlton managers … Mullery resigned after a dispute with the directors, and was replaced by Charlton manager Mike Bailey.
    7.Brighton's first Second Division campaign for four years began with a three straight defeats, but then things perked up with a run of five games unbeaten, including an amazing 7-0 victory over Charlton.
    8.A Classic collection of iconic, rare and unseen moments from Rock and Roll history
    Crane Kalman Brighton is pleased to present a brand new selection of classic music photography images from the Rockarchive music collective featuring iconic imagery of some of music's greatest names – Ella Fitzgerald, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, David Bowie, Marvin Gaye, The Clash and Jimi Hendrix. The exhibition, Rockarchive: The 2010 Collection, will be displayed at the Crane Kalman Brighton Gallery from 8th–28th February 2010: which in itself is a pretty good reason to go there.
    9.Swedish pop greats Abba sang their way to Eurovision victory at the Brighton Dome, in 1974, with Waterloo...
    10.Sussex CAMRA Branches are proud to announce that the 20th Sussex Beer and Cider Festival will be held at Hove Centre, Hove on 11th – 13th March 2010.
    and the half....... Tamer Tuna's brother teaches football at Brighton. well it is a half......
  • 10.5 Brighton Rock is not actually a hard long sweet that it is bad for your teeth, it is in fact a novel by Graham Greene. The lead character is called Pinky Brown. This is a world record for colours taken from the name of author/main character. The 4 colours being Gray, Green, Pink and Brown. Ham is not technically a colour.
  • 12. Next year, the Seagulls will get to play their new arch enemies the e-gulls; this is a virtual version of the Eagles who by then won't exist in reality ;-)
  • 13 My slag of an ex girlfriend lives there
  • 13. Anton Chekhov's play "The Seagull" detailing the sad tale of devastated hopes and dreams was written after once watching Brighton play.
  • 10.5 Brighton Rock is not actually a hard long sweet that it is bad for your teeth, it is in fact a novel by Graham Greene. The lead character is called Pinky Brown. This is a world record for colours taken from the name of author/main character. The 4 colours being Gray, Green, Pink and Brown. Ham is not technically a colour...... and Brighton Rock is also a Queen number ..... with a few more colours recorded at the rainbow?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1YpsMODUmE
  • Oh!.... and Henry's favourite band played there in .....
    December 20, 1972
    Brighton, UK
    Brighton Dome
    Setlist:
    includes: Rock and Roll, Over the Hills and Far Away, Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop, Since I've Been Loving You, Dancing Days, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, The Song Remains the Same, Rain Song, Dazed and Confused, Stairway to Heaven, Whole Lotta Love (medley incl. Everybody Needs Someone To Love, Let That Boy Boogie, Let's Have a Party, Mystery Train, Heartbreak Hotel, I Can't Quit You Baby, Going Down Slow), Heartbreaker.

A little beat combo called Led Zepplin. which of course he knew and is still receiving therapy for!
  • 10.5.(and a quarter..........)
    "Brighton Rock" is a song that opens "Sheer Heart Attack", the 3rd album by a little known "RockBand" called Queen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Also, Rick Nelson played his last British gig there before the plane crash. He annoyed the majority of the audience by singing only half his hits, not even bothering with 'It's Late'. You could see he really didn't enjoy doing the old stuff. Del Shannon was also on the bill and he also came to a sticky end . Is it the Brighton effect?
  • [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]10.5 Brighton Rock is not actually a hard long sweet that it is bad for your teeth, it is in fact a novel by Graham Greene. The lead character is called Pinky Brown. This is a world record for colours taken from the name of author/main character. The 4 colours being Gray, Green, Pink and Brown. Ham is not technically a colour...... and Brighton Rock is also a Queen number ..... with a few more colours recorded at the rainbow?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1YpsMODUmE

Cheers Ken, wouldn't say I liked Queen (only know the pop stuff) but that was not bad.
  • Brighton is a good source of footwear because they have a shop in Gardner Street there called Vegetarian Shoes, a place to buy shoes that don't eat meat or fish; and the street name is dedicated to those who grow their own vegetables.
  • I don't think some of you have quite got the hang of the '10 and a half' series.....

14. High levels of Illiteracy has been consistently linked to the Brighton region since one of its early dwellers erected the sign 'Hove' outside his house.
  • 15. Since 1995, 239 people have been killed on Brighton beach due to over-aggressive deckchairs.
  • edited February 2010
    16. It is a well known fact, that only butterflies and Brighton's homosexual community taste by using their feet.
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]13 My slag of an ex girlfriend lives there

So do I; what's her number?

;)
  • 17. It is equally a well known fact, that only dolphins and Brighton's non-homosexual community sleep with one eye open
  • [cite]Posted By: Ken[/cite]6. Brighton have had 2 ex Charlton managers … Mullery resigned after a dispute with the directors, and was replaced by Charlton manager Mike Bailey.
    Steve Gritt saved them from relegation
  • William the Conqueror first landed with his invading Norman Army at Brighton but was beaten off by hordes of party goers waving glow sticks and blowing whistles.

Fearing witchcraft William decided to try Hastings instead.
  • Sponsored links:

• 18. There are more walls in Brighton than in any other town in Britain. Rumour has it that most were built by the towns straight community in order to place their bums against them.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]13 My slag of an ex girlfriend lives there

So do I; what's her number?

;)

I thought you were engaged to Emma?
  • I wanted them to beat ManU in the 1983 Cup Final!
  • A statistician once calulated there were 14 billion pebbles on brighton beach but reluctantly admitted that none of them were shaped like an anvil.

Brighton was once home to the worlds largest octopus. The famed kraken was attractted by the high water quality just off the coast and made it's home just under the waves, it's evil eye could be seen at low tide. The octopus swam off one day following a unwarranted attack by three teenagers in a rowing boat armed with pellet guns. It was last seen near the bay of biscay trying to eat an oil tanker.
  • edited February 2010
    it takes less steps to reach the end of the pier than it does coming back
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]William the Conqueror first landed with his invading Norman Army at Brighton but was beaten off by hordes of party goers waving glow sticks and blowing whistles.

Fearing witchcraft William decided to try Hastings instead.

Blimey. The Gay thing has been going on for a long time.
  • 94. The Goldstaone ground is the only one where I have successfully, through the power of skilled positive thought, meditation and intense concentration, caused the ball to hit the old onion bag at a time and in a manner entirely of my own choosing.
    Four times
    At three different games.
    On my own.

94 and 1/2 The Withdean stadium used to be a zoo, with only one dog in it. Yup, it was a shitzu
  • edited February 2010
    Eric Shufflebotham successfully baked the first piece of brown bread in Hove in 1831. His wife sadly passed away soon afterwards so Eric migrated back to his native Yorkshire but in memory of her and his success with brown bread he decided to name the new bread Hovis.
  • 19 - The 60s hippy movement adopted Brighton as it's home and campaigned the have the "B" removed from it's name so it could be known a 'Right on". When their campaign was finally defeated by the Brighton Pensioners Alliance the hippy community moved along the coast to peacehaven.
  • 20 - Brighton was so named because of the massive O and N that used to burn on the beach to ward off Normans.