Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who's the thickest/most intelligent player?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: olster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Wasn't Lisbie who said something like he had was looking forward to the match in spain when we were in the Anglo/Italian cup? I'm sure someone can dig the actual quote out.

See if a footballer said that they would be "thick". Says up the page that it was Newton. : - )

I think that some people get a bit jealous of these young, fit, skillful, well paid guys and feel that they need to be "better" than them in some way so label them "thick" or should that be "thicker then me".

They are employed for their footballing skills and for their ability to play and react to situations instantly during a game.That is a key form of intelligence and maybe more useful than saying which of four squiggles is the odd one out. Certainly it is for their profession.

Amen. This thread stinks of people trying to big up themselves by putting others down.

No, it doesn't at all. Actually it's the other way around. It "stinks" of people on here trying to make themselves look clever/intelligent by over-analysing and dissecting a simple question that was, after all, simply intended to be a bit of fun.

But then that's par for the course for some on here - sometimes. Sad really, but there you go.

Personally I stick with my original Dailly/McLeod view, which is based on absolutely nothing at all - not having met either of them, heard them talk, seen their school reports, asked them to take a Mensa test, checked out their reading habits or worked out their astrological charts. Shoot me.
  • Options
    diverting the thread slightly away from the current squad - i think eddie youds was a bit limited up top - if anybody has got the 1997/98 end of season video, at the end of the parade celebrating the play off final, john fuller does a few interviews including one with youds. He looks like hes having to work really hard to do it, you can see his eyes pointing upwards as he's trying to think of answers and all he manages to come up with in response to do you think we will go straight back down like barnsley is: "people are saying we are going to be like barnsley, but we're not barnsley, you know, we're charlton"

its actually quite entertaining as i recall
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulsturgess[/cite]diverting the thread slightly away from the current squad - i think eddie youds was a bit limited up top - if anybody has got the 1997/98 end of season video, at the end of the parade celebrating the play off final, john fuller does a few interviews including one with youds. He looks like hes having to work really hard to do it, you can see his eyes pointing upwards as he's trying to think of answers and all he manages to come up with in response to do you think we will go straight back down like barnsley is: "people are saying we are going to be like barnsley, but we're not barnsley, you know, we're charlton"

its actually quite entertaining as i recall

Yeah, but Eddie was clearly pissed as a fart at the time!

That ranks up there as one of my favourite Charlton player interviews of all time - along with Shirtliff after the play off win against Leeds ('Appen I play for Charlton") and Bob Bolder at Wolves picking up the MotM award ("Win or lose, on the booze!")
  • Options
    oh off-it look what you have started.
  • Options
    I think that some people get a bit jealous of these young, fit, skillful, well paid guys and feel that they need to be "better" than them in some way so label them "thick" or should that be "thicker then me".

They are employed for their footballing skills and for their ability to play and react to situations instantly during a game.That is a key form of intelligence and maybe more useful than saying which of four squiggles is the odd one out. Certainly it is for their profession.

I think you're taking this far too seriously. If it was genuinely vitriolic, then your points would stand, but as Off_It says it's just a vague guesswork at who 'seems' pretty smart, not any genuine breakdown designed for serious comment. Re-reading Kap and Clem's comments, I have no idea how they could be assumed to be sneering at our players.

I have seen no one at all say that players can't have 'football' intelligence, in fact a few have specifically highlighted it.

I must admit I can never bear those who constantly single out top footballers wages for repeated criticism (as opposed to pretty much any other business employee earning a lot), as for me this is thinly veiled snobbery that mostly working class lads are earning more than them and their degree, but there's been no mention of footballers being undeserving of their money and no devaluing of their different type of ability on the thread.
  • Options
    i know its really strange,he gets almost teary on this forum.
  • Options
    I wonder if the Charlton players had a vote for who is the most intelligent Charlton Life contributor and who is the thickest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]I wonder if the Charlton players had a vote for who is the most intelligent Charlton Life contributor and who is the thickest.

And they're more than welcome to do so - but I doubt that they'd really care too much.
  • Options
    I know he doesn't play for us but I read that someone once asked jason macateer if he'd like his pizza cut into four or eight slices.
    He asked for four as he wouldn't be able to eat eight
    You can't argue with that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]I know he doesn't play for us but I read that someone once asked jason macateer if he'd like his pizza cut into four or eight slices.
    He asked for four as he wouldn't be able to eat eight
    You can't argue with that

Lol, very good

Hopefully it's ok to have a gentle chuckle at that without it being intellectualised as some deep-rooted jealousy?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    indeed sussex,great thread hijacked by people who take it all to serious.
  • Options
    Bailey just fell into his pizza.
    Mcleod elbowed the waitress
  • Options
    If those who have taken offence had actually bothered to read my first post they would have noted that I actually hinted that it was pretty unfair to judge a player on the basis of how he comes over in an interview. As I thought this was a light hearted affair I then used a little irony and did the very thing I had condemned by judging Agbonlahor.

As for the Newton thing, how many on here wouldnt have commented if someone they knew asked such a question? As usual the comments are lifted and placed into a context that the thread dissection brigade can use to their advantage and once again a bit of fun becomes some sort of moral debate on how fair it is to question someones intelligence.

Perhaps its Off_Its fault for putting this in the General Charlton category. Pretty dim if you ask me. ;-)
  • Options
    Off it is thick as two short planks mate
    But he gets away with it because of his looks and charm
    Them's the breaks I'm afraid
  • Options
    Ha, ha

The good old, "it was only a joke" defence when you get pulled up on something. How handy.

If it is a joke put it in "fun and jokes", stick a smiley on the end or even say in the text, it's all a joke. Whatever still pretty lame to say people you've never met are "thick" whoever they are.

As for you Nolly, wasn't it you who was blubbing because someone pulled your leg over some predications? If not then apologies.
  • Options
    Are you talking to me Henry?
  • Options
    henry mate you seem to get the wrong end everytime,let people have a joke stop quoting them and then harping on all emotional,off-it great thread,sorry the club spokesmen took offence.
  • Options
    Some slight overreactions here to what was a joke thread!
    I wasn't joking about off_it though (apart from the looks and charm bit)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Ha, ha

The good old, "it was only a joke" defence when you get pulled up on something. How handy.

If it is a joke put it in "fun and jokes", stick a smiley on the end or even say in the text, it's all a joke. Whatever still pretty lame to say people you've never met are "thick" whoever they are.

[cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Youga reads books that's pretty impressive for a footballer. Even more impresssive is a lot are in french!!!! :-)

Does reading books or speaking more than one language make you intelligent then?

A smiley like that perhaps Henry? :-)
  • Options
    lol i could bet cuff. maybe off-it will reply with your quote and go into a rant..............no i got mixed up with someone else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]Some slight overreactions here to what was a joke thread!
    I wasn't joking about off_it though (apart from the looks and charm bit)

You'd best not come to Lew'sham Cuff.
  • Options
    Where do you stand on George W Bush, Henry?
    Ps. This comment definitely needs a smiley
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    Nolly, Go and do some predictions. I know you want to : - )
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Ha, ha

As for you Nolly, wasn't it you who was blubbing because someone pulled your leg over some predications? If not then apologies.[/quote]

Dear oh dear. If you can't see the irony in my first post then that really isnt my problem. If you think I am back-tracking because the thread dissection brigade have called me out then you are sadly mistaken.

I stand by by the Newton remark. It wasnt a particularly clever thing for him to say. As, if I recall rightly, the players who mentioned the comment in a programme interview also pointed out at the time.

In all honesty this will be my last comment on the matter as I'm pretty sure most who have posted on this thread have taken my remarks as they were intended.
  • Options
    and breath,come on mate you get emotional nearly every week,you have been ruined
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]and breath,come on mate you get emotional nearly every week,you have been ruined

Says the man who cries when his predications are crap.

Not sure how I have been "ruined" whatever that means. I'm not the one saying "OK, it's over now" or hiding behind "It's only a joke".

I stand by what I said. People describing people they don't know and have never met as "thick" is rather odd and suggests that they feel the need to see themselves are better than those people especially when it is based on nothing at all.

Maybe we should start a thread about who is the "thickest" boxer we've never met then you could have an opinion. Then again all boxers are a bit stupid aren't they : - )
  • Options
    oh dear .
  • Options
    like to see you say that to frank brunos face!! thats a joke henry
  • Options
    I stand by what I said. People describing people they don't know and have never met as "thick" is rather odd and suggests that they feel the need to see themselves are better than those people especially when it is based on nothing at all.

Well, you must be a far more intelligent, reasoned and well-rounded person than me then - because I thought it might be a bit of self-evident harmless fun, without the need to signpost it in the "jokes" category, or add winky things, or tell everyone it was supposed to be light-hearted all along.

But then again I don't get "are" and "as" mixed up - often.

*BIG FO WINKY SMILEY THING!!!! :o) ;o) :-) ;-) :-p *