Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holiday advice

Thinking about a two week holiday at the end (ish) of February.

Short list coming down to Cuba and Antigua.

I really fancy a lazy beach type holiday BUT, I know I'll start getting restless and will fancy getting out and seeing different things.

Anyone been and have any comments-

Comments

• Antigua is great at that time of year, good food, terriic weather ... sufficient sightseeing for a 2 week holiday.

Hire a car and go round the island, beaches, rain forest, etc.
  • edited December 2009
    CUBA CUBA CUBA!!!!!

Amazing island. Me and the missus spent a fortnight there exactly a year ago. We stayed in Holguin, in a fantastic resort.

Had an unforgettable 2 day trip up to Havana, clubbing, shopping sight-seeing and drinking lots and lots of rum!

Weather was great and the locals so friendly. We journeyed out on our own, on one occasion, walking for miles and came across a small village. We were welcomed into this ancient little ladies shack where she made us coffee and chatted to us in Spanish (not that we understood much!), for ages. Never once felt intimidated being out on our own.

I believe it's one of the places you have to see before it starts to change. I couldn't imagine it any other way to how it is now. So much history and amazing stories.

There's plenty to do and see with the usual guided tours, etc. Highly recommended!
  • Head East. India-Goa
  • I've been to Cuba and loved it.

So much history and culture in Havana but it can be a bit of a trek (I did a couple of days trip by plane) if you are sunning it in the south east region where I did.

Also be aware in Cuba you are unlikely to get ANY home comforts at all - everything is Cuban, no Coca-Cola, Jack Daniels or things like that.

Plenty to do and see though and Havana is a simply amazing city.
  • edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I've been to Cuba and loved it.

So much history and culture in Havana but it can be a bit of a trek (I did a couple of days trip by plane) if you are sunning it in the south east region where I did.

Also be aware in Cuba you are unlikely to get ANY home comforts at all - everything is Cuban, no Coca-Cola, Jack Daniels or things like that.

Plenty to do and see though and Havana is a simply amazing city.

Hear, hear!

(can you tell I loved Cuba?!)
  • ive been to antigua and loved it, been twice in fact. Plenty to do.

no opinion of cuba so cant comment.

Off to Sri lanka friday - cant bloody wait.
  • First time in 4 years I'm not having any winter sun =(

Well gutted...
  • Antigua mate - St. James Club .

Lots to see and do on the island if you get bored of sitting in the sun
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Off to Sri lanka friday - cant bloody wait.

Have you been before? I've been a few times on business and holiday.

The people are great, and the food is some of the best in Asia. Wonderful place.
  • Cuba's a good choice. If you go for a european chain hotel you'll get a nice blend of relaxation and history.

I stayed Havana for a few days, then went to Trinidad (which was a great little town with lovely beach) then stayed in Cayo Coco for the relax bit. All great, I'd maybe have liked a few days extra in Trinidad.
  • Sponsored links:

• If you like the whole gangster world and go to Cuba - I thoroughly recommend reading this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Havana-Mob-Owned-Cuba-Revolution/dp/1845962230/ref=pd_cp_b_1

before you get to Havana and then spot everywhere they talk about. Nothing mentioned in the book has changed since the 50s - it's great if you like that kind of stuff.
  • Looks an interesting book, will get that.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Looks an interesting book, will get that.
    Good! You get an insight into Godfather II as well, as it seemed to be based very much on reality.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If you like the whole gangster world and go to Cuba - I thoroughly recommend reading this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Havana-Mob-Owned-Cuba-Revolution/dp/1845962230/ref=pd_cp_b_1

before you get to Havana and then spot everywhere they talk about. Nothing mentioned in the book has changed since the 50s - it's great if you like that kind of stuff.

Thanks G.

Love the whole mobster stuff- Added to my Amazon basket already!
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If you like the whole gangster world and go to Cuba - I thoroughly recommend reading this:

I thought the link was going to be
    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/West-Side-Story-Irving-Shulman/dp/0352318694/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259679301&sr=1-5
  • Barbados - sea Breeze Hotel with Virgin.
  • Don't come to bloody Cornwall ..... after a wonderful sunny day yesterday, looking out the window it's pissing down Yeovil stylee.
  • Cuba's great. Been twice and loved it both times. Can't speak for Varadero as avoided that resort but Havana is one of my favourite places and definately one of those places to visit before Fidel goes and the place opens up to the American market.
  • Holiday? What's that?
  • Curb it, make sure you travel on the trains in Sri Lanka, they are amazing and dirt cheap too. Get yourself to Kandy for a day and then travel up into the hills and the old tea plantations by train. Get to the east coast around baticaloa, incredible unspoilt beaches and down the south east to surfer dudes place in arugam bay. So much to see there and the people are so helpful, travel by bus and train to experience the real Sri Lanka. Our only regret was the war was going on so we could go no further north than trincomalee. South west coast is ok, down to galle and beyond but east is better as it had more trouble so less ruined by tourism. When we were there about 4 years ago we had a beach to ourselves for the day that was protected by a coral reef, when I say to ourself, there was the army base and half a dozen wrecked 5 star hotels. You will love it. I found the food a little disappointing as apart from devilled fish, not much else to write home about. Enjoy. The templea are really boring, various budhas lying down or standing up but you should go to one. Also should see sigiriya fortress at day break, very impressive.
  • Sponsored links:

• thanks SD. Not sure we will be doing much public transport. We are staying in a resort but do plan to get to the elephant sanctury and one or two other recommended places... but i dont plan to do too much!
  • Head to Cancun mate. Lots to see and do as well as lazying on the beach or by the pool. Cancun has the best clubs and bars i've ever been to and the food is excellant. The people are friendly and very harmless as we didn't any problems from the locals when we was there :) Enjoy!
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]thanks SD. Not sure we will be doing much public transport. We are staying in a resort but do plan to get to the elephant sanctury and one or two other recommended places... but i dont plan to do too much!
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]thanks SD. Not sure we will be doing much public transport. We are staying in a resort but do plan to get to the elephant sanctury and one or two other recommended places... but i dont plan to do too much!

holiday during the football season as northstandjoe would say your not proper anymore ;-)
  • Didn't realise this thread about Holidays would make it into the Away Travel section.

Very poor show admin :-)
  • Hopefully it's ok if I slightly hijack the thread...

Basically, one of my mates has received a ridiculous amount of airmiles from his dad - who used to live in Hawaii and fly back and forth to England a lot. He's now resident in England again and doesn't want the airmiles so he's bestowed them all upon my mate. There's enough for three of us to fly anywhere in the world for free, so we're planning a trip for Easter.

I've been trying to canvass as many opinions as possible about where to go, and as you people seem to have much travelling experience, thought it might be worth asking for suggestions on here.

Preferably somewhere reasonably cheap, and a little bit different to your average trip to France or wherever. My current favourite is Cape Town, but I'm also strongly inclined towards Auckland.

Any thoughts appreciated :)
  • Go to Vegas...
  • [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]

Preferably somewhere reasonably cheap
  • Clump your spending money together and put it all on red. Easy!
  • never been to North Island but I'd recommend South Island, New Zealand. Hire a car, drive down to Queenstown, can't go wrong.
  • Is New Zealand as expensive as it's rumoured to be?