Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Quote button

Hi all, as it says above, I've implemented a new quote button which should solve some of the problems of the old one, like trying to quote text from one page onto another. It should work better than the last one. I'll try and test it in the wee hours whilst you're all asleep, so it should work for you in the morning (GMT). But any problems, please report them.

Comments

• edited September 2006
    [cite] LoOkOuT:[/cite]Hi all, as it says above, I've implemented a new quote button which should solve some of the problems of the old one, like having the right Format option and when trying to quote text from one page onto another. It should work better than the last one. I'll try and test it in the wee hours whilst you're all asleep, so it should work for you in the morning (GMT). But any problems, please report them.

A test... er: "Test"
  • Hello mate

Just checked out the '2 page quote' issue and appears to be ok now. The 'Add your comments' box doesnt appear until you click 'quote' though.....
  • Yeah, you only get the add comments form at the end of all the comments, by design, as you can only add comments to the end. Otherwise people might not look past the first page etc. Anyway, as long as you can now quote from any page and have it waiting for you in the comment box, then that's an improvement.
  • Yeah definitely. Good work.

There's just no pleasing some people...... ;-)
  • Why can't I quote? What am I doing wrong? It was easy before - what has happened? Bloody IT people wish they would leave these computer thingies alone and go back to their play stations.
  • Need more info. What happens when after you press the "quote" button (and don't say "nothing"!). What browser are you using?

It works using the same type of coding (AJAX--javascript) as the thing that appears when you hover over a username in a discussion. Does that work for you?
  • I replied to your message using the quote and it flew me up to the top of the page. I scrolled down to type this message and the quote isnt here. Where would i find the browser information?

When I hover over names it says "loading user information". To get the user information I have to double click on the name.
  • OK, sounds as if you need to change your browser settings, assuming you are using Internet Explorer (the Earth icon thing). I don't have access to a Windows machine right now, but off the top of my head, go to Tools and Options and look under Security and fiddle with the options pertaining to Javascript (ie Check allow Javascript). It might be easier to simply change the Security level to something a bit lower. Anyway, the point is to Allow Javascript (which for some reason MS think will kill your machine; it won't)

If you can, have your IT install FireFox browser for you and use that; it's faster and better all round.
  • Thanks for your help but my machine is not playing ball. I have attempted to change my settings to allow java scripts and to lower security settings, but they keep going back to the default settings. Most probably controlled by our systems admin and as I work in government i am not going to ask them to lower all my settings.
    I can do without.

Cheers
  • [cite] 1905:[/cite]Why can't I quote? What am I doing wrong? It was easy before - what has happened? Bloody IT people wish they would leave these computer thingies alone and go back to their play stations.

does this work
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite] 1905:[/cite] I have attempted to change my settings to allow java scripts and to lower security settings, but they keep going back to the default settings.

Cheers

what about this
  • [cite] paulbaconsarnie:[/cite]
    [cite] 1905:[/cite]Why can't I quote? What am I doing wrong? It was easy before - what has happened? Bloody IT people wish they would leave these computer thingies alone and go back to their play stations.

does this work

So it seems
  • edited September 2006
    not quite got it.