Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fridge issues

Our fridge is frozen.
Its a hotpoint fridge / freezer upright.

I defrosted the whole thing (not that there was any frost anywhere) and switched it back on and it happened again.

any experts know what could be wrong with it or how to fix? anyone know anyone who is an expert?

thinking the thermostat has broken but don't know where that is or how to change it without it costing a fortune!

Comments

• Come on ladies - help one of your own out.....
  • Might be a dodgy seal on the door but that is the extent of my knowledge. Iceland do good deals on a new one!

Or look here: http://www.howtomendit.com/questions.php?id=58
  • Damaged/poor door seal is a very likely cause. The refrigerant (gas) level might be low.
  • the freezer door doesn't shut that well but the freezer is fine now its been defrosted and the draws fit in properly.

the fridge door shuts fine and is sealed all the way round when closed.

have seen £200 bush fridge/freezer in argos that can be delivered on saturday. if i pay for someone to come out to take a look that'll cost £80 before they've stepped into the kitchen so its easier to buy a new one! yes or no?
  • depending on the age of the 'old' one you'd probably be better off buying a new one if it's going to cost at least £80 to even look at it.
  • we bought it as part of when we bought our flat - we've lived there 2 1/2 years and it wasn't brand new - so no idea....

also how do you dispose of old ones?

wedding budget slashed in the first month of saving.... :-(
  • Cut your losses and buy a new one. It'll be more efficient and use less electricity, so saving you money in the long run. Some places will take away your old one when they deliver but will more than likely charge. Otherwise, check out your local council website and it will have details of either where you can take it yourself or if they will collect from you, again most probably charging you.
  • My homecare contract with British Gas (for the Boiler and Central Heating) also covers all my kitchen appliances (no charge call out and repair).

Dunno if you have anything like that, but worth checking the small print if you do
  • I once went out with a bird from dagenham who believe it or not was a bit fridged , she was reluctant to do anything , especially with the light on . Anyway after a few months and plying her with booze these issues were soon ironed out . Never had any other problems after that
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]Our fridge is frozen.
    Its a hotpoint fridge / freezer upright.

I defrosted the whole thing (not that there was any frost anywhere) and switched it back on and it happened again.

any experts know what could be wrong with it or how to fix? anyone know anyone who is an expert?

thinking the thermostat has broken but don't know where that is or how to change it without it costing a fortune!

Is it upside down? Just you say the freezer isn't frozen but the fridge is? ;o)

More seriously sounds like the freezer chemicals have mixed with the fridge chemicals?
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]we bought it as part of when we bought our flat - we've lived there 2 1/2 years and it wasn't brand new - so no idea....

wedding budget slashed in the first month of saving.... :-([/quote]

Put one on your wedding gift list ;o)
  • Is the compressor running all the time no matter what level the thermostat is set at?
  • Try Davies of Belverdere. 020 8311 3435. Unbelievably helpful people in my experience, they'll install and take the old one away.(ask for a quote to take the old one ). My eldest son gets all his electrical stuff there and wouldn't go anywhere else. Proper personal service, unlike Argos, Comet etc. Think about a frost free model, no more messing about defrosting.
  • edited October 2009
    Saying all of this my cousin has a single fridge and a single freezer for sale £60 each or £110 the pair? both just over 2 years old!
    But it means travelling to Horley near Gatwick to collect!
  • [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Try Davies of Belverdere. 020 8311 3435. Unbelievably helpful people in my experience, they'll install and take the old one away.(ask for a quote to take the old one ). My eldest son gets all his electrical stuff there and wouldn't go anywhere else. Proper personal service, unlike Argos, Comet etc. Think about a frost free model, no more messing about defrosting.
    currys also take the old one away free of charge i do believe?
  • edited October 2009
    Fridge Freezers at Currys
    We also offer a free collection and recycling service. This means that we’ll take away your old fridge freezer and recycle it for you at no extra cost when you choose home delivery for your new fridge freezer. Remember to fully defrost your old fridge freezer first if you’ve chosen the free collection option.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stuart the Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]we bought it as part of when we bought our flat - we've lived there 2 1/2 years and it wasn't brand new - so no idea....

wedding budget slashed in the first month of saving.... :-(

Put one on your wedding gift list ;o)

great idea, except not getting married till next september and we can't do without a fridge until then! its been 2 weeks and its getting on my nerves. :-)

anyone done Comet Auctions before?
  • This is not about William Perry having personal problems then?
  • When you say the fridge is frozen - is it a buildup of ice/frost on the evaporator (the cold bit at the back) or is it actually freezing stuff i.e. eggs solid - milk frozen or nearly frozen - butter rock hard?

If it's the second and you can hear the motor/compressor running all the time it's almost certainly the thermostat. That will probably be situated behind the temperature control knob - on most models you are adjusting the thermostat itself when you turn the temperature gauge.
  • there is no ice - everything is just frozen.

can you eat defrosted brie by the way? haven't noticed a continuous noise really but probably not paying attention to it. the temperature control knob is on the front of the fridge and its very basic no numbers just high or low options. no idea where the thermometer is.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]anyone done Comet Auctions before?

My sister has - you'll get a good bargain, but maybe a slight dent on the side or a scratch.

I bought all my appliances from Sainsbury's - they were really really cheap

Sainsbury's
  • When I said temperature gauge I meant the scale on the control knob - colours or numbers - the higher the number the colder the fridge. The thermostat is almost certainly behind the knob that you turn to adjust the temperature.

It certainly sounds like the thermostat has failed - or that the sensor inside the fridge has come adrift but that would only happen if it had been knocked loose in some way from the evaporator and is fairly unlikely.
  • Leave the fridge door open for a short while, if its working you should hear the stat kick in.