Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Richard Rufus testimonial

When the great man was introduced on the pitch earlier this season it triggered some thought that shortly after he retired he'd been promised a benefit match and there was talk of him giving the money to his church/charity. I certainly don't remember a match taking place. Does anyone remember this? If so, does anyone know why it didn't t happen. I think he'd still get a pretty good turn out - best defender I've seen in over 40 years of watching Charlton.

Comments

• He had a testimonial dinner in 2004.

By the way, great user name!
  • A credit to the club, both on an off the pitch,
    support this 100 per cent.
  • A benefit match would be great, get Super Clive, Kins, Deano, Powell, Youds etc to play. Would certainly get a decent attendance at the Valley.
  • How about play off final teams against eachother ?
  • I thought Rufus declined a testimonial when it was offered around the time he retired?
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]He had a testimonial dinner in 2004.

yeah the highlight of that was when i think it was dj spooney , jason euell and one other possibly kevin lisbie were bidding up the auction for a framed signed shirt and a picture of richards wembley goal and it was going at ridiculous money and they were spoofing each other higher and higher and it got to around £4k and the auctioneer give it some going once ,going twice sold to spooney at £4k and we have two others so yours at £3.9k jason and yours at £3.8k kevin and euell and lisbie were absolutely gutted that they ended up wearing it at such a high price when they were only spoofing ....
    (someone with a better memory than me might remember who was involved and at what price)