Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What might have been...

Rmember that the Board's first choice to replace Curbs was actually Parky, but Colchester refused permission for him to speak to us?

Comments

• Yes and I had a bet on him at 10/1!
  • he is proving to be an excellent manager this season, but coming in cold to the Premier League at a new club would've been a very very difficult job. Let's hope he can lead us back to the top flight in the next three or four years :-)
  • Wouldn't have liked that he at that stage had very very little experience.
  • Funny the parky bashers are very quiet at the mo. Me included by the way.
    Some would say he's at hislevel
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Funny the parky bashers are very quiet at the mo. Me included by the way.
    Some would say he's at hislevel

Or the summer gave him a chance to clear out the players that he didn't want or didn't want to be here, sign players that weren't available until the summer and carried only slowly building confidence and team spirit. If he takes us back up we'd have built a decent squad and played like a team consistently enough to do ok in the Championship. A lot of teams that have gone up have done ok, it's the smaller clubs like Scunthorpe that struggle. Even Colchester carried on the momentum and had a good season in the Championship.

Anyway that's a long way off, a lot can happen even in the next few days that can change our season, just saying I think there's a lot more to it than Parky and certain players finding their level. Not every manager would have rebuilt the confidence and team spirit or made the right decisions when it comes to who to sign and release.
  • Doubt he would have spent 4 million on Faye and Traore and sign Pouso/Walton etc. I could be wrong but did Parky sign Turner for Hull in 2006 (another what could have been)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]he is proving to be an excellent manager this season, but coming in cold to the Premier League at a new club would've been a very very difficult job. Let's hope he can lead us back to the top flight in the next three or four years :-)[/quote]

You know, I'm enjoying this season, although it is early day's. I would love Parky to lead us back to the Championship and I know we have to aim for the Premiership, but if we never play in that league starting every season with maximum ambition of a mid table finish and a couple of good cup runs and a highlight of geting a draw at Old Trafford - when it matterred,it will be too soon.

[quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Wouldn't have liked that he at that stage had very very little experience.[/quote]

Curbs was pretty inexperienced when he took over and both Pards and Dowie had a reasonable amount. Could Parkie have done any worse than those two.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Doubt he would have spent 4 million on Faye and Traore and sign Pouso/Walton etc. I could be wrong but did Parky sign Turner for Hull in 2006 (another what could have been)
    No don't think he would have either and yeah he did sign Turner.
  • I thought chris coleman was the first choice but was unavailable.
  • I do wonder, with hindsight if Roy Hodgson was ever in the frame
  • Sponsored links:

• Would be nice for the board to come out and say ' we told you so'.

In fact it would be nice for the board to come out and say anything.Do they still exist?
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Would be nice for the board to come out and say ' we told you so'.

In fact it would be nice for the board to come out and say anything.Do they still exist?

No, they dont exist. In fact they did once but were decendents of the Ooslem bird which flew round in ever decreasing circles before disappearing up its own jacksy.
  • Parky is doing a good job.TBH i think all the board have has well give them a break guys they are giving it their all!!!