Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which Charlton player had the best 2nd (or subsequent) spell at Charlton?

With (too) much talk about George Dobson heading to Hungary and maybe returning sooner or later, I was thinking about which player had the best second spell with Charlton, either as a permanent or loaned player. Eddie Firmani takes some beating - and what about the not-so-good ones? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    In the not so good, nobody could beat Diego Poyet
    (except maybe Harry Arter) 
  • Options
    Jonathan Obika didn't do too much on his second spell. 
  • Options
    Hales was good and Flanagan in their second spells. I guess also Colin Powell - didn't we buy him back from the NE Teamen?
  • Options
    In the 90s we managed to bring back many of Lennie's team, the likes of Humphrey, Mortimer, Williams and Bennett and all were reasonably successful.

David Whyte's second spell with us was excellent, though it fizzled out. 

Danny Mills second time round was disappointing.

Terrell Thomas and Sean Clare both had better second spells than first ones.
  • Options
    Powell had three spells as a player, how many others have done that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Alan Curbishley had a great second spell.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Powell had three spells as a player, how many others have done that?
    Eddie Firmani - and he later managed us like Sir Chris did.

Eddie Firmani is a good shout because, unusually, his scoring record (goals per game) improved in each spell. 

50/100 
    32/55 
    6/10 
  • Options
    Mike Kenning scored a few goals in his second spell after a short period at Wolves
  • Options
    I felt like Ben Amos was a lot better in his second spell with us. I wasn't too bothered when his loan ended but I was really unhappy we didn't manage to keep him in his permanent spell, especially with what came after.
    Could well be available in the summer.  

If he gets better with each spell....!
  • Options
    Some good ones mentioned but Eddie Firmani must be the favourite.
  • Options
    Macauley Bonne?
    Note: I expect this to get filtered out for foul language. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Roger Johnson - we were right to release him the first time (even though he did well) and shouldn’t have brought him back.
  • Options
    Mike Bailey. First spell as a player, second spell as a manager and won promotion at the first attempt

• Options
    Mike Bailey. First spell as a player, second spell as a manager and won promotion at the first attempt

Lee Bowyer’s second spell wasn’t too shabby either 
  • Options

Lee Bowyer’s second spell wasn’t too shabby either 
    That chap Keith Peacock seemed to do well as part of Curb’s managerial team when he came back.
  • Options
    Eddie for ever!
  • Options
    Scott Parker flattered to deceive during his first spell with us but was awesome when he came back from Norwich.
  • Options

Mike still regularly attends matches at The Valley with his dear wife.
    Sadly he has been struck down with Alzheimer’s but it would seem that he still enjoys the experience.
    Keep on keeping on Mike. 🫠
  • Options
    Jason Lee. Started out with us, and then came back for a decent loan spell, which included the winner against Palace if I recall 
  • Options
    Thomas and Danny Green both returned after being released without making the first team squad.
  • Options
    I’m not sure you can count released youth players when they didn’t even play a game for us. 

I’d go Chris Powell, David Whyte, Paul Mortimer and John Humphrey.