Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    One very interesting line from Jones there which alludes to what a lot of us have been saying - 'There are a lot of things that people think he is good at that I want to actually take out of his game'. I would bet anything that that's his tendency to hare around after the ball regardless of where he should be and his usual decision to react to danger rather than read and predict it before it arrives. Dobson is technically better than he's given credit for but the crunching tackles and big-hearted effort that gets him applause is beneath a player like him if he and the team want to progress higher up the table. Better positioning and reading of the game would make Dobson ready to be a Championship player without too much worry
    Well exactly, fans see Dobson chasing across towards the full back position and often missing a big sliding challenge yet praise his endeavour and passion and believe that he 'is the only one doing anything in midfield'. Yet fail to realise the reason we were often exposed and overrun in the midfield was because of that lack of positional discipline meaning there would be gaps to exploit everywhere.

In my opinion the more refined Dobson of the last couple of games has been very good, and I hope he continues to play and develop that way.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    As I've said many a time, it's not Charlton that have fucked this up entirely, Dobson has to take some blame for actually agreeing to sign for them in February, especially if he doesn't actually really want to go there
    No need to blame himself. From the othe side of the view, Dobson made a decesion, to leave the club, but the very last minute Charlton fucked this up entirely. If he don't want to go, not need to signed the precontract, but he did. Lucky for Charlton after this situation, he still playing for the club, and put 100 % at the pitch.  
  • Options
    Has the poster who was giving summaries about Dobbo from his Dad vanished from CL? I might have asked before but don't think I found a response.

It would be useful to hear their thoughts now, rather than 60 mins before an away game kickoff.
  • Options
    One very interesting line from Jones there which alludes to what a lot of us have been saying - 'There are a lot of things that people think he is good at that I want to actually take out of his game'. I would bet anything that that's his tendency to hare around after the ball regardless of where he should be and his usual decision to react to danger rather than read and predict it before it arrives. Dobson is technically better than he's given credit for but the crunching tackles and big-hearted effort that gets him applause is beneath a player like him if he and the team want to progress higher up the table. Better positioning and reading of the game would make Dobson ready to be a Championship player without too much worry
    100% my view on him as a player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Has the poster who was giving summaries about Dobbo from his Dad vanished from CL? I might have asked before but don't think I found a response.

It would be useful to hear their thoughts now, rather than 60 mins before an away game kickoff.
    I asked him for his opinion on the situation a number of weeks ago but no reply. Seems to me he used CL to get his ‘news’ out there and now isn’t willing to engage. Wouldn’t surprise me if Dobbo himself was unimpressed with his intervention and has told him to button it. 
  • Options
    Well exactly, fans see Dobson chasing across towards the full back position and often missing a big sliding challenge yet praise his endeavour and passion and believe that he 'is the only one doing anything in midfield'. Yet fail to realise the reason we were often exposed and overrun in the midfield was because of that lack of positional discipline meaning there would be gaps to exploit everywhere.

In my opinion the more refined Dobson of the last couple of games has been very good, and I hope he continues to play and develop that way.
    A more refined Dobson or does the presence of someone like Coventry, who is covering areas of the pitch that Dobson used to have to because players like Fraser would be simply AWOL, mean Dobson doesn't have to "hare around" trying to cover too much of the pitch himself?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    As I've said many a time, it's not Charlton that have fucked this up entirely, Dobson has to take some blame for actually agreeing to sign for them in February, especially if he doesn't actually really want to go there
    His agent has a lot to answer for . Money grabbing bastards , the lot of them . 
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    I think this is very true. I've quoted this before but the supreme Paolo Maldini, who had very few red or yellow cards during his hugely impressive and lengthy career said "If I have to make a tackle, I have already made a mistake."  The top tackler in the premier league is Fulham's Palhinha with 110 so far this season. That's around 5 per match. You have to go down to13th until you find a player from one of the top 4 teams - MacAlllister who has made 64 tackles. (Just over two per game).  (By comparison, in over 1000 games, Maldini made an average 0.56 tackles per match). Tackling is not the be all and end all and sometimes it seems as if Dobson makes dozens per match! 
    Good point, yet at the same time the Premier League and standard where Maldini played is very different from league one, where there a lot more tackles per game, purely down to the skill is of a lower standard. 
  • Options

A more refined Dobson or does the presence of someone like Coventry, who is covering areas of the pitch that Dobson used to have to because players like Fraser would be simply AWOL, mean Dobson doesn't have to "hare around" trying to cover too much of the pitch himself?
    It was never really Fraser’s job to play the position Coventry is though. Dobson has been playing Dobson’s position, as the DM, almost exclusively. 

Whether we like it or not the club have clearly identified that position (I’m not saying Dobson) as an issue - which is why we tried to bring in McGrandles, and Taylor (who were always injured) and then Coventry. 
  • Options
    If no other Champ/L1 club was prepared to pay us six figures for him in January, makes me think that we’d be making a mistake by paying over the odds to keep him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If no other Champ/L1 club was prepared to pay us six figures for him in January, makes me think that we’d be making a mistake by paying over the odds to keep him.
    Not many teams are going to pay six figures on a holding midfielder older than 25. However that’s going nothing to do with his ability.
  • Options
    Not many teams are going to pay six figures on a holding midfielder older than 25. However that’s going nothing to do with his ability.
    Not made any comment on his ability in my post. If not many teams will pay six figures on a holding midfielder older than 25, do you disagree that it might be a mistake for us to do exactly that?
  • Options
    Thinking back to the Powell title team, Hollands worked hard in midfield, but you wouldn't call him someone just there to be a defensive shield. 
  • Options
    I'd like to keep him, the first question is does George want to stay? If the answer is yes, but he is contractually obliged to join Fehervar. What sort of compensation should we pay? 

However....
    There is plenty of quality out there. Nohan Kenneh, Hibs player currently at Shrewsbury. Freddie Potts, WHU lad who is currently on loan at Wycombe. Potts has goals in him too, scored a blinder against us at the Valley. Maybe Connor could have a word in his ear.
  • Options
    It is possible that Nathan Jones is unaware of what Dobson was obliged to do before he arrived, which often meant charging around like a blue arsed fly trying to put right the mistakes of others, or doing the hard work that players like Gilbey, Fraser and Kirk couldn't be arsed to do.
    If we lose Dobbo there will have to be a significant re-set or rebalance, and I am not sure we quite have the players needed to deal with a Dobson sized hole in the squad.
  • Options
    Reality is that the squad will change again this summer and no one player is that good we must build it around them. 

Jones hopefully will be allowed to decide what he wants. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    His agent has a lot to answer for . Money grabbing bastards , the lot of them . 
    His agent can't force him to go tbf. George signed of his his own free will! Dunno why you're branding his agent a money grabber? Does that make George one too? I don't blame players for taking money really, but to suggest GD is behind forced over there is pretty ridiculous!
  • Options
    Thinking back to the Powell title team, Hollands worked hard in midfield, but you wouldn't call him someone just there to be a defensive shield. 
    Danny popped up with goals as did Dale Stephens, we had goals all over the pitch.
  • Options
    At Wycombe away, the terrace chant will be:
    Dobbo’s gong nowhere
    La La La La 
    La La La La