Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Solid start, but squad frailties highlighted

click on link

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=241

Comments

• ive said this 4 ages our strength in depth isnt good enough and it hasnt been 4 years as ive stated in a previous disscussion we have never produced a striker of prolific ability through our youth system we always produce defenders and midfield players its about time we brought a forward through the ranks who could produce the goods and score the goals that could possibly save us a fortune ?
  • One criticism Afka.Clinging on for dear life against Wycombe does not constitute a ' solid start ' in my book.
  • But the team dug in and fought for the 3 points - and got them.

That's solid enough in my book.

In previous seasons we would have capitulated completely and surrendered the game.
  • [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]ive said this 4 ages our strength in depth isnt good enough and it hasnt been 4 years as ive stated in a previous disscussion we have never produced a striker of prolific ability through our youth system we always produce defenders and midfield players its about time we brought a forward through the ranks who could produce the goods and score the goals that could possibly save us a fortune ?

Jermaine Defoe?
  • OFF IT i know that defoe was one of our youth players but did anything materlise apart from a few quid from a tribunal how many goals did he contribute to the charlton cause NONE that is why we need to nurture a couple of decent young forwards because we are lacking in that department badly.
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]One criticism Afka.Clinging on for dear life against Wycombe does not constitute a ' solid start ' in my book.

as last year against Swansea and look where we ended up !!
  • Thinking about the home grown strikers issue, is Ben Godfrey still with us as by looking at his past few seasons he seems to bang them in, does anyone know more about him and as to why we have never given him a proper run out?
  • Because he's not considered to be ready .....?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: SE7[/cite]Thinking about the home grown strikers issue, is Ben Godfrey still with us as by looking at his past few seasons he seems to bang them in, does anyone know more about him and as to why we have never given him a proper run out?[/quote]

Gone to Crawley I believe
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: SE7[/cite]Thinking about the home grown strikers issue, is Ben Godfrey still with us as by looking at his past few seasons he seems to bang them in, does anyone know more about him and as to why we have never given him a proper run out?
    We released him, failed to win a pro contract. He never got a chance because he was never good enough. I think I've said on here before, he's not a terrible player, just was never going to be good enough. I saw him a couple of times in the youth cup games, once last season, once the year before. Seemed ok all round (for youth level) but nothing stood out either. The best players in the first game I saw were Shelvey and Solly, while Mambo was solid but never really tested. Second game again Solly was one of the better players and Mambo was similar again. Not a surprise that the players that stood out the most are the ones still at the club and now back up for the first team.

I think he scored a few goals, played some reserve games, but pretty sure he wasn't a regular goalscorer.