Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

west country addicks

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
Morning all....i was wondering if there were any west country addicks fans in here? i've recently moved from sunny south london to bristol and wanted to see if there were anybody else over this way crazy enough to support the mighty charlton athletic?

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: mrbligh[/cite]Morning all....i was wondering if there were any west country addicks fans in here? i've recently moved from sunny south london to bristol and wanted to see if there were anybody else over this way crazy enough to support the mighty charlton athletic?

I do believe there is a West Country branch of the supporters club.
  • any one here live in Cornwall/Devon and coming up for the Saints game on Sept 12th ? If so please whisper me. Ta.
  • so there is....cheers brunello!
  • There's a West Country branch of the Official Supporters Club, with members in and around Bristol, Gloucester, Weston-Super-Mare, Dorset, Exeter, Plymouth and the Independent Republic of Cornwall.

Me, I'm in SE Cornwall.
  • i just sent them an email....do you go to the games oggy red?
  • Oggy comes to SE7 when Exeter are away

:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: mrbligh[/cite]i just sent them an email....do you go to the games oggy red?

Sure..... usually only about 10 games a year though, depending on finance, work arrangements, etc
    My journey from Cornwall is twice the length of journey from Bristol to London, (Bristol is actually nearer to London, than to Cornwall)

I've got friends and family in various parts of Kent, so try to tally games with family visits and events, etc
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveStorry[/cite]Oggy comes to SE7 when Exeter are away

:-)

I'm an hour and a half west of Exeter, Dave.

Sometimes, like very occasionally because I usually can't be arsed, go with Greenies from work or my village to watch Argyle.
    But only been to St James Park Exeter, twice ever - and then only to watch Charlton.
  • i went to watch bristol city at the tail end of last year.......bloody boring(although i wouldn't mind us being that boring)!
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]There's a West Country branch of the Official Supporters Club, with members in and around Bristol, Gloucester, Weston-Super-Mare, Dorset, Exeter, Plymouth and the Independent Republic of Cornwall.

Me, I'm in SE Cornwall.

If anybody else in the West Country wants to know more about the West Country Branch of the Supporters Club
    Membership secretary is Mike Turtell
    (I can supply full contact details if you whisper me)

Good friendly bunch of people, can help with tickets and travel.

They also arrange their own occasional functions, sometimes with guest speaker from inside Charlton - usually held in Taunton, only 30 mins on the train or by car from Bristol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just out of interest...

Why do they call it the West 'Country'...?

I know it's in the western part of the country but why do they use the word 'country' to identify it...?

I live in Sunderland but I've never heard it called 'North East Country', Bandit Country maybe, but never North East...
  • Well, I suppose there is the 'Black Country' in the Midlands - referring to it's polluted industrial past.
    old traditional songs and tales often refer to a 'North Country lass', for example.

In the east of the country, it's often known as the 'Eastern Counties; then there is the 'Home Counties' surrounding London.

Devon & Cornwall is often just referred to as 'the South West' - but in the distant past the term 'West Country' has also been used by some to apply even to Gloucestershire, Worcestershire and perhaps even as far as Herefordshire.

Why 'West Country' ....? Just old tradition, no doubt
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Well, I suppose there is the 'Black Country' in the Midlands - referring to it's polluted industrial past.
    old traditional songs and tales often refer to a 'North Country lass', for example.

In the east of the country, it's often known as the 'Eastern Counties; then there is the 'Home Counties' surrounding London.

Devon & Cornwall is often just referred to as 'the South West' - but in the distant past the term 'West Country' has also been used by some to apply even to Gloucestershire, Worcestershire and perhaps even as far as Herefordshire.

Why 'West Country' ....? Just old tradition, no doubt
    Name that tune....
  • I also live in Bristol! (as a uni student)

Other than that live in Launceston, Cornwall, so yes, another west country addick :)
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Well, I suppose there is the 'Black Country' in the Midlands - referring to it's polluted industrial past.
    old traditional songs and tales often refer to a 'North Country lass',
    Name that tune....

North Country Boy - The Charlatans
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Well, I suppose there is the 'Black Country' in the Midlands - referring to it's polluted industrial past.
    Name that tune....
    North Country Boy is close, but no banana....
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    Name that tune....
    North Country Boy is close, but no banana....

Song by maddy Prior, but apparently there is a dance tune that goes back to 1700's. (No, I didn't know that, I cheated and googled).
  • West Country Addicks?

Not arf mate.

10-12 of us go up to the Valley by train from Bournemouth/Southampton for all home games.

As luck would have it, we have our own 'home' game this weekend - more time for a pint or 4!
  • Another one here, well kind of live in cardiff. Had a season ticket last season havnt this season to go to more away games.
  • Me too, living in East Devon, looking forward to the Exeter and Yeovil games :0)
  • Sponsored links:

• looking forward to Exeter as well, live near st austell
    so my nearest game
  • My dad lives in Yeovil, but doesnt travel up all too often
  • i'm up for organising a group from round here to go to games. welsh, south west addick? we could try and get to two a month or so? home and away?
  • My mother lives in Shepton Mallet in Somerset the area of shepton she lives is called Charlton and the pub at the end of her road is called the Charlton inn. She has been going to charlton for 40 years hame and away but not so much now.
  • Ah I know that pub, its right next to the babycham/blackthorn factory and a good chippy.
  • If we could get enough of us together to fill a coach, maybe we could lobby the club to incorporate it into the Vally Express service?
  • Great chippy pub ok shame it's not closer to Yeovil for it to be a pub stop off for a charlton life coach
  • anyone here from the West Country coming up for the Southampton game on the 12th?. If so I'm on holibobs in North Cornwall and would be glad to contribute to the petrol.
  • ok, this thread is from the archives... but does anyone here still live in the 'west country' and intend to go to any games this season ?
    Im in totnes and wouldn't mind having people to travel up with to some matches
  • http://freespace.virgin.net/p.oconnor/mibl.html

I don't know if this bloke is still about. The link is a few years old judging by the time he states he has been a supporter and when he first went.