Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cycle rage

edited July 2009 in Not Sports Related
in my latest incident of this, a motorist came up behind me and started having a go because I was in the left lane (of two lanes) and going straight on (not right or left) and according to him the left lane is always to turn left (despite no road marking or signs saying left turn only lane), so is he right?

:)

Comments

• Cyclists will always be in the wrong...thats why they should not be on the road!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]in my latest incident of this, a motorist came up behind me and started having a go because I was in the left lane (of two lanes) and going straight on (not right or left) and according to him the left lane is always to turn left (despite no road marking or signs saying left turn only lane), so is he right?

Ask Rothko

;o)
  • Raz,

Did you get off and milk it ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Raz,

Did you get off and milk it ?

Is this a whisper gone wrong?!
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]in my latest incident of this, a motorist came up behind me and started having a go because I was in the left lane (of two lanes) and going straight on (not right or left) and according to him the left lane is always to turn left (despite no road marking or signs saying left turn only lane), so is he right?

There is no set rule like there is for roundabouts (left hand for straight ahead if its two lanes etc) you have to go with the road markings to guide you otherwise, and if there were none then he is in the wrong.
    Prime example, if you come up the hill from Eltham station towards the High Street and are then carrying straight over towards Mottingham, you can take either lane when it splits into two by the lights.

If you don't know the answer to this you have no right being out on the roads in the first place!!
  • He's talking crap.

He probably though you had no right to be on his road.

Nice kick to the door and just cycle away.....
  • I thought I was in the right of course (silly)
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I thought I was in the right of course (silly)
    thought you said you were in the left...
  • He was probbaly so shocked to see a cyclist in the road..........usually I find they just ride on the pavement. If they are in the road they then ignore traffic lights,pedestrian crossings and all other road signs.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Raz,

Did you get off and milk it ?[/quote]

Is this a whisper gone wrong?![/quote]

NO .. I was just asking
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]He was probbaly so shocked to see a cyclist in the road..........usually I find they just ride on the pavement. If they are in the road they then ignore traffic lights,pedestrian crossings and all other road signs.

There's plenty of motorists who do just that ........ lol
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]He was probbaly so shocked to see a cyclist in the road..........usually I find they just ride on the pavement. If they are in the road they thenignore traffic lights,pedestrian crossings and all other road signs.

Not quite so blatantly
  • No, he's wrong Razil. But then he is a motorist, so likely to be full of s**t (see above).
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]He was probbaly so shocked to see a cyclist in the road..........usually I find they just ride on the pavement. If they are in the road they then ignore traffic lights,pedestrian crossings and all other road signs.

Only to chase cyclists who have kicked their door ;)
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]He was probbaly so shocked to see a cyclist in the road..........usually I find they just ride on the pavement. If they are in the road they then ignore traffic lights,pedestrian crossings and all other road signs.

cheeky fecker.....

i never ride on the pavement.... :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Cyclists will always be in the wrong...thats why they should not be on the road!!!
    [cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]No, he's wrong Razil. But then he is a motorist, so likely to be full of s**t (see above).

I'm on your side Raz and Vincenzo

Bibble get out of your car once in a while you lazy sod...
  • I need a polite way of saying go read your highway code...I'll test a few versions out and see which ones don't result in fisty-cuffs
  • Dazz,
    Not car, mate commute on a jolly fast motorbike! Cyclists just get in the way!! And sweaty lycra is not a good look first thing on a Monday morning
    Also you hardly ever see a cyclist in the rain or winter, so much for the 'green' reasons for cycling!!!

BTW I am a lazy sod!!!
  • not me dude rain or shine, all year round 20 miles a day - unless I'm sick or nursing an injury, or having a skinful - agree lyrcra never good..

• Sponsored links:

• ha ha ha lol

Sweaty Leather is very difficult to get out of though...

I cycle in rain, sun or snow except on the way to work or any distance longer than 2 miles
  • I was signaling to turn right yesterday (on bike) just about to turn when a car went flying passed me to catch the traffic lights 100 yards up the road. She easily could have killed me. As it turns out she didn't make the lights, not even close.

Then, this morning i was overtaken on the right just for the car to dramatically swerve in front of me to turn left!

Again i could have been killed.
  • [cite]Posted By: millaphile[/cite]I was signaling to turn right yesterday (on bike) just about to turn when a car went flying passed me to catch the traffic lights 100 yards up the road. She easily could have killed me. As it turns out she didn't make the lights, not even close.

Then, this morning i was overtaken on the right just for the car to dramatically swerve in front of me to turn left!

Again i could have been killed.

But you wern't...and not even injured...funny that?
  • I just worked out what SoundAsa£ means..
  • Just dont mention paedestrians!!! Walking on the pavement and stuff like that, who the hell do they think they are?
  • cycle on the pavement, have you seen how dangerous the roads are?

;)
  • All road users are shit.

For every cyclist I see jumping the lights I see four motorists doing the same. Bus drivers don't indicate, motorcyclists consistently break the speed limit, cyclists just do whatever the hell they want and contract drivers (delivery, truck, mini-cab and bus drivers) are all fucking retards who's only achievement in life was passing their driving test. Oh, and people who drive Mercedes and BMW's are C**TS. The other road users I hate are those twats with those stupid clip on pedals who stop at traffic lights and don't put their feet down, you know the people, with their bikes that cost four weeks wages and lycra shorts surgically implanted up their arses. TAXI DRIVERS? Thoroughly decent blokes the lot of em.

This is the only country I've lived in where cycling on the pavement is actually against the law. Get cyclists off the road, put cycle lanes on the pavement like every other country in Europe.
  • SoundAsAParticularPoorPedant? Funny that the millions of potentially lethal mistakes drivers make they're never aware of. Of course until you lose someone close to you because the majority of drivers can't even make a simple turning safely, then it gives you a bit of perspective.

Hmmm so a cyclist is on a bike, under his own power and this numpty f**kweed can't wait for a little while before he lifts his appoplectic toe. TBH the guy is obviously just scum, without markings on the road the most sensible place for a cyclist is in the lefthand lane; if you go in the right handlane more idjiut car drivers'll just try and cut you up both sides. If you sit in the bike box cars just idiotically vye to overtake you or cut you up.

As for general car drivers, many people in this sit, and approaching traffic calming measures, don't have the intelligence to just slow down and respond to what's in front of them. So someone makes a mistake in your opinion, respond to it and deal with it. Beligerance and an inability to think just goes to prove you don't have the skill or right attitude to drive cars.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]SoundAsAParticularPoorPedant? Funny that the millions of potentially lethal mistakes drivers make they're never aware of. Of course until you lose someone close to you because the majority of drivers can't even make a simple turning safely, then it gives you a bit of perspective.

Hmmm so a cyclist is on a bike, under his own power and this numpty f**kweed can't wait for a little while before he lifts his appoplectic toe. TBH the guy is obviously just scum, without markings on the road the most sensible place for a cyclist is in the lefthand lane; if you go in the right handlane more idjiut car drivers'll just try and cut you up both sides. If you sit in the bike box cars just idiotically vye to overtake you or cut you up.

As for general car drivers, many people in this sit, and approaching traffic calming measures, don't have the intelligence to just slow down and respond to what's in front of them. So someone makes a mistake in your opinion, respond to it and deal with it. Beligerance and an inability to think just goes to prove you don't have the skill or right attitude to drive cars.

Wheras you of course are perfect.......we assume?
  • Ha Ha - typical Charlton fans. Tomorrow is Critical Mass in Vancouver and because we've got a major heatwave right now (hottest temperatures ever recorded) they reckon it's gonna kick off - I just laugh because this lot over here would be scared at a Fulham vs Palace game.

For the record my view is that there are bad cyclists and bad motorists and good cyclists and good motorists. What needs to be done is that the bad guys should be enforced better but of course we all know that the Old bill are under resourced in any case. I do agree that we need adequate cycle lanes so that the whole issue with sharing the roads is eradicate; after living in Amsterdam for a while it seemed to work there.