Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC music archives question

Been meaning to ask this for ages, on behalf of my Czech buddy who has an anorak vintage rock programme on Radio 1 Prague. Some of his most interesting tracks come from albums subtitled BBC Sessions or Live at the BBC. He's also a vinyl collector and the whole show is vinyl. So here's the thing, he complains that the BBC stuff is always pressed and released in tiny numbers, which then command ridiculous prices, and they don't re-press.

My question is, does anyone know what the BBC's attitude to their music archives is? Seems to me that if they pressed and released everything they would have a nice little earner on their hands; and also as a public broadcaster, don't they kind of have a duty to give maximum access to their archives? I mean, we literally paid for this stuff - well, in the case of most of the stuff he plays, my parents did.

My buddy has played some really interesting tracks, often combos of musicians you never knew played together. This Wiki page is the nearest I've found to a comprehensive list, but he has played stuff that is not on that list. I promised him I'd try to find out what the Beeb is up to with this stuff.

Comments

• Options
    This looks fairly comprehensive for John Peel sessions. I remember some of them being released as 12 inch singles 

https://davestrickson.blogspot.com/2020/05/john-peel-sessions.html?fbclid=IwAR2Jtv97e-aiUDyjMFt4FO5zcWB_Ibp9rFaLXHn_M25SbvE_DB0tAEvoFBo&m=1
  • Options
    I would imagine that some savvy bands (or managers of bands) would heavily restrict the BBC's ability to issue their live performances as an album.  I've kind of thought that was why we used to get only the odd clips of bands at Glastonbury, etc rather than the full set broadcast on TV.

Steve Vai once asked Frank Zappa for advice. He thought he'd get an answers about playing style or something but he got three words from Frank. "Keep your publishing". Vai says it has saved him literally millions of dollars. (Ironic, then, that last year Universal Music acquired the whole kit and caboodle from the Zappa Trust, including the publishing catalogue).

Anyway, I have a friend who has featured on BBC issued albums. Tenor and opera singer and BBC employee so different circumstances but I'll ask him when I get the chance.  (It might take a while - I think he's away somewhere right now.)
  • Options
    Full Glastonbury sets are usually available on iplayer after the event - one of the wonders of the modern age is the Beeb’s Glastonbury coverage!!
  • Options
    I think pressing a record of the appearance at the BBC would of all been part of the original contract to appear. 

Once it is all done the contract is fulfilled. 

Often if different artists appear on a record it can be difficult to reissue as all who appear or hold rights need to agree. 

Other royalties would need to be paid and if the original bands and management have gone separate ways or fallen out it can be impossible to achieve. 

My favourite BBC show of all time was the rock and roll years, never reissued because of the complexity of all the different music and news/TV/documentary clips being owned by hundreds of different people or companies. 

I follow a person on Twitter who is collecting every BBC record and is a knowledgeable about this. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I bought some BBC archive stuff "Quo Live at the BBC"- - some amazing live tracks spanning the decades and top quailty sound too.  There really must be so many gems in their vaults!
  • Options
    Two good programmes on Friday night (just gone) re Yardbirds and Cream.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    cafcfan said:
    I would imagine that some savvy bands (or managers of bands) would heavily restrict the BBC's ability to issue their live performances as an album.  I've kind of thought that was why we used to get only the odd clips of bands at Glastonbury, etc rather than the full set broadcast on TV.

Steve Vai once asked Frank Zappa for advice. He thought he'd get an answers about playing style or something but he got three words from Frank. "Keep your publishing". Vai says it has saved him literally millions of dollars. (Ironic, then, that last year Universal Music acquired the whole kit and caboodle from the Zappa Trust, including the publishing catalogue).

Anyway, I have a friend who has featured on BBC issued albums. Tenor and opera singer and BBC employee so different circumstances but I'll ask him when I get the chance.  (It might take a while - I think he's away somewhere right now.)
    I think they would have signed a contract in order to do the sessions, giving the BBC the rights to release the material. Most up and coming band are desperate for the exposure, so are happy to sign. 
    Vic Godard and Subway Sect did several sessions for Peel, and when we wanted to reissue some of the tracks the Beeb were very strict (almost difficult) about terms etc. It almost makes it unviable for small labels who are only looking to press a couple of thousand copies. 
  • Options
    This is all great stuff. If anyone can point me towards someone at the BBC who would be able to explain the current status, that would be much appreciated. 

@JohnnyJoeyDeeDee pasted up is huge. I wonder how the source content got onto YouTube if the BBC never released it for purchase ( ok the newer stuff would have been easy to record, but stuff from the 60s and 70s, I wonder how that got lifted and uploaded?