Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The other member of Cream....

CHGCHG
edited September 2008 in Not Sports Related
I always forget the third member of Cream, Ginger Baker, Eric Clapton....Also, what band was he in before Cream?

Comments

• Peter Godley???
  • Jack Bruce
  • Jack Bruce, that is it, cheers.
  • As for what band EC played in before Cream, well there were quite a few CHG. He would often make 'guest apperances' too and was happy to turn up and play for all sorts of bands back in the 60's.
    John Mayalls Blues Breakers was one and although I probably didn't realise it at the time, I've no doubt I saw him several times playing for them.
  • Good knowledge SoundAsa£, Clapton is a bit of a ledge, Cream are a bit spesh.
  • Anyone been along to a Blues jamming session recently? Found it unbelievable that just anyone can get up and play their instrument of choice, name the song and away they go. Absolutely blew me away with how good some of these guys are. Better than alot of bands I've seen playing together who have known each other since they were at school.

One guy looked like a caveman with long straggly mess of hair and beer gut poking out from below his slightly too short t-shirt. But was a truly amazing keyboard/piano player. One of the best nights I'd had in ages and every single musician that joined in the jamming session was just the nuts.
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]I always forget the third member of Cream, Ginger Baker, Eric Clapton....Also, what band was he in before Cream?
    The Yardbirds prior to Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page, Page's tenure ultimately leading to the formation of Led Zeppelin...the rest being history!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Red Fraggle[/cite]Anyone been along to a Blues jamming session recently? Found it unbelievable that just anyone can get up and play their instrument of choice, name the song and away they go. Absolutely blew me away with how good some of these guys are. Better than alot of bands I've seen playing together who have known each other since they were at school.

One guy looked like a caveman with long straggly mess of hair and beer gut poking out from below his slightly too short t-shirt. But was a truly amazing keyboard/piano player. One of the best nights I'd had in ages and every single musician that joined in the jamming session was just the nuts.

Some of these guys have been playing for years and many were brought up on the blues. There are a few basic riffs and styles and most are played in only a couple of keys, making it relatively easy for an accomplished musician. I'm not an accomplished musician but I know a few and I occasionally join in a blues jam playing harmonica. I've not played properly in years but you don't forget. A lot of the jammers play in bands and like to be free of the constraints of a fixed set so being able to do what they want and often what they are best at makes for some really good music.

Back to the original topis, I bought Clapton's autobiography while in England. Haven't started it yet but I'm expecting it to be an unusual cocktail of interesting and boring.
  • edited May 2023
    Sad to hear that Pete Brown died (Friday 19th May 23).....RIP. There were a couple of good documentaries on Friday night about The Yardbirds followed by one about Cream.
  • edited May 2023
    Bruce. a terrific bassist, was in a lot of bands before Cream, notably with John Mayal and Graham Bond .. I saw Bruce with Mayal several times but can't recall him ever being the vocalist ..  so, I was surprised when he became the 'voice of Cream', far more than Clapton who I always felt was jealous of Bruce as the very effective singer, effectively being the main man whose diction was superb and unusually in that time, the vocals were always loud, clear and very audible, mainly due to the brilliant American producer Felix Papparlardi  whose wife (later charged with his manslaughter) wrote some of Cream's lyrics .. Pete Brown, the main lyricist was responsible for one of my favourite ever lyrical lines .. 'tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers, and you want to take her with you to the hard land of the winter' from Tales of Brave Ulysses .. Disraeli Gears .. sounds as good today as it ever did .. ABSOLUTE Classic ..
    'They' do not make em like they used to !!

https://youtu.be/sqNg8ui2sE8

• Sponsored links:

• Ginger Baker was also with Graham Bond. They performed at the Bromley Court Hotel a couple of times. 
  • Live at Klooks Kleep is a good example of the genre. 
  • Ginger Baker was also with Graham Bond. They performed at the Bromley Court Hotel a couple of times. 
    a rare mention of the (legendary to some of us)  Bromley Court Hotel .. I spent more time there than I did at home, or so it seemed .. Just a few I saw, many more than once .. Hendrix (had a nice chat with him at one of his very first UK gigs), Cream, Rod Stewart/Jeff beck Band, Pink Floyd, Albert King, John Mayal, in fact almost all top British bands doing the rounds in the mid/late 1960s .. just before some of the above named hit the stratosphere and were soon playing 100,000 seater stadiums worldwide
  • CHG said:
    I always forget the third member of Cream, Ginger Baker, Eric Clapton....Also, what band was he in before Cream?
    Seriously? You managed to sign up for this forum but you don't know how to do a google search?
  • I remember seeing Cream play at Streatham Ice Rink back in '67...whilst trying to stay upright on the ice...🙄
  • edited May 2023
    Off_it said:
    I remember seeing Cream play at Streatham Ice Rink back in '67...whilst trying to stay upright on the ice...🙄
    Did they manage it?

Walked into that one didn't I...🙄
  • Still listen to cream on a fairly regular basis, would love to have seen them live.
  • Ginger Baker was from New Eltham
  • As for what band EC played in before Cream, well there were quite a few CHG. He would often make 'guest apperances' too and was happy to turn up and play for all sorts of bands back in the 60's.
    John Mayalls Blues Breakers was one and although I probably didn't realise it at the time, I've no doubt I saw him several times playing for them.
    Saw Eric C play a solo whilst with John Mayalls Blues Breakers at the Austral Club, Sidcup, mid-1960s I think. Left the stage and just sat on an amp as I recall.
  • Sponsored links:

Just seen that online. 130 Southwood Road. Well I never.
  • Off_it said:
    Ginger Baker was from New Eltham
    I never knew that until I saw a documentary on him a few years ago, lives in South Africa now or did then. Still alive but definitely suffering the effects of a rock and roll lifestyle.
  • Off_it said:
    I never knew that until I saw a documentary on him a few years ago, lives in South Africa now or did then. Still alive but definitely suffering the effects of a rock and roll lifestyle.
    He died in 2019 mate.
  • Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    He died in 2019 mate.
    It must have been before that I watched the documentary (obviously) and sad as that is it’s not very surprising. I obviously hadn’t seen that he died, but I guess with a drummer it’s easy to miss the amount of attention it would have got. Interesting guy he came across to me as a likeable cnut
    Born in Lewisham .. great drummer, nasty person
    His father was killed serving in the war before GB was born, which may have affected his personality 
    His father was killed serving in the war before GB was born, which may have affected his personality 
    agreed
  • CHG said:
    Seriously? You managed to sign up for this forum but you don't know how to do a google search?
    You get a more complete answer from the folk of Charlton Life. 
  • Mate of mine works for the funeral directors that did the funeral, none of his kids turned up only his current wife.