Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Danny Senda (p2 - ex assistant manager, banned for 4 years)

edited January 9 in General Charlton

Charlton Athletic are pleased to confirm that Danny Senda has been promoted to joint men's first-team Assistant Manager.

The 42-year-old will work closely with Manager Dean Holden, fellow Assistant Manager Anthony Hayes and Goalkeeping Coach Glyn Shimell as they prepare for the upcoming 2023/24 campaign.

Senda has been an important member of staff within the club's esteemed academy since joining in the 2021/22 season. During that time, he has led the club's U18 and U21 sides at different times and guided the latter to the London Senior Cup title earlier in May 2023. 

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/senda-appointed-first-team-assistant-manager

Comments

• Quite a fast-track for him?
  • Would it be cynical to wonder if this is a prelude to using the academy to patch gaps/fill numbers in the first team squad....?
  • Well deserved 

• There has been a regular progression from the U18/U21s to the first team squad in recent years. Indeed coaches have moved up in a similar way to the young players!

Euell followed that path, now Hayes and Senda. It does leave the academy looking a bit thin, is Pearce ready for the U21s?
  • Sponsored links:

• We had to give him a job because the new guys are closing down the Academy.
  • Really pleased with this. I advocated him being caretaker when Garner was sacked. He talks a lot of sense and has done very well with the U21s and U18s. Can see him getting the main job at some point in the future.
  • Is it a cunning plan by Millwall to insert one of their own on the inside so they can be influential in our continued spiral into oblivion?
  • Explains Cheltenham.
  • seth plum said:
    Explains Cheltenham.
    In which regard? 
  • He was on the bench with Holden and a surprising number of youngsters were involved.
  • edited May 2023
    I really like the guy.
    Deserved.
  • seth plum said:
    He was on the bench with Holden and a surprising number of youngsters were involved.
    Why is that in any way surprising for a meaningless end of season game?
  • We are well known for bringing youngsters through. Senda knows them and in his own right, an up and coming coach.

Good appointment for the long term for sure. 

Good luck Danny!!
  • Sponsored links:

• hmm

In honesty I am surprised

U21's were not exactly stellar this season (I know a lot of players were on loan) and I find his coaching technique a little more abrasive than some of the coaches I see at that level.  Normally they are an "arm around the shoulder" type of character  but he gives them both barrels for making a mistake.  Always surprises me when he does that!

• Swisdom said:
    hmm

In honesty I am surprised

U21's were not exactly stellar this season (I know a lot of players were on loan) and I find his coaching technique a little more abrasive than some of the coaches I see at that level.  Normally they are an "arm around the shoulder" type of character  but he gives them both barrels for making a mistake.  Always surprises me when he does that!

How does Hayes compare?

It’s possible Senda’s more suited to working with the first team where results are the priority. U21s is more about development and making that jump to the first team.
  • mendonca said:
    Quite a fast-track for him?
    Why appoint two relatively inexperienced guys as first team assistant managers? Would rather someone with more experience:& just gradually introduce Hayes & Senda. Time will tell. Who's going to look after the under 21s, Pierce ? 
  • Doing it  on the cheap. That would seem to indicate the possible new owners do not have the wealth to be serious about running the club,
  • mendonca said:
    Why appoint two relatively inexperienced guys as first team assistant managers? Would rather someone with more experience:& just gradually introduce Hayes & Senda. Time will tell. Who's going to look after the under 21s, Pierce ? 
    There's a side of me that likes a relatively inexperienced manager to have an old wise head alongside him, akin to the role Lennie Lawrence played alongside Dougie Freedman, someone who's not after the main job, and can tell the truth when necessary, but ultimately it's what Holden is comfortable with, and I'm sure he has a "sage" somewhere to give him advice.
  • mendonca said:
    There's a side of me that likes a relatively inexperienced manager to have an old wise head alongside him, akin to the role Lennie Lawrence played alongside Dougie Freedman, someone who's not after the main job, and can tell the truth when necessary, but ultimately it's what Holden is comfortable with, and I'm sure he has a "sage" somewhere to give him advice.
    Spot on.
  • msomerton said:
    Doing it  on the cheap. That would seem to indicate the possible new owners do not have the wealth to be serious about running the club,
    How can you judge the quality of the appontment at this stage? It doesn't mean that even an expensively paid coach coming is guaranteed to be a success or any better.

Me? I'll keep my powder dry and reserve judgment, proof of the pudding, etc

• Oggy Red said:
    msomerton said:
    Doing it  on the cheap. That would seem to indicate the possible new owners do not have the wealth to be serious about running the club,
    How can you judge the quality of the appontment at this stage? It doesn't mean that even an expensively paid coach coming is guaranteed to be a success or any better.

Me? I'll keep my powder dry and reserve judgment, proof of the pudding, etc

Because it has been obvious that Holden has needed an experienced assistant to give him advice
    even during a match.
    Senda is not that, he has no experience of first team management.
    If you watch the U21 team you will know he makes poor decisions and of course plays football one way only and will not change tactics during a game even when the team is being out played.
    now of course U21 is a school for football , so make the players stick to the plan and practice the skills to so is important, So results not very important. 
    it is not so for the first team which is results driven.