Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Off side or not…that is the question…

I noticed an interesting incident yesterday whilst watching the Sunderland v Luton play off.

Sunderland had a free kick which was going to be lobbed into the box. Luton were defending in a high line just along the 20 yard line (maybe 25 yards). As the Sunderland player was about to kick the ball a Luton play shoved a Sunderland attacker from an onside to an offside position. Should this Sunderland player happen to get the ball would he have been given offside even though he was pushed? Could this be a new tactic in defending these situations or has this been going on and I’ve not noticed it? 🧐

Comments

• If the push isn't judged to be a foul, I reckon it's offside. 
  • Very good question.
  • All depends what the officials see. Likelihood is they won't see and give offside, so if tactical by defender it would have worked. If officials did see, then it's another free-kick, maybe a penalty and possible booking. I'd be so annoyed if i saw that as a ref i'd love to give a penalty anyway, regardless of where committed, and let them argue over it.
  • It's a foul and a yellow card.  
  • edited May 2023
    All depends if the ball is in play, dosent it? If the push come before the ball is in play, then it won’t be a penalty or a free kick.
  • When I played in a 5 aside team, we used to get so infuriated with how close the opposition were allowed to stand to the ball at set pieces that we started getting someone next to the player, who would shove them out of the way just as the ball was kicked. We used to get away with that most of the time. The Championship might be a bit different though.
  • Shove has to be before the kick or the player isn't offside. So no free kick or penalty possible!

• All depends if the ball is in play, dosent it? If the push come before the ball is in play, then it won’t be a penalty or a free kick.
    Correct. If it's in play, it's a foul and a yellow card. If it's not in play (yet) it's just a yellow card for misconduct