Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New EFL Sky deal from 2024/25

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-announces-landmark-broadcasting-deal-with-sky-sports

EFL clubs have unanimously approved a record domestic rights deal with broadcaster Sky Sports worth £935m over a five-year period with over 1,000 matches to be broadcast each season – a record number of games for any club football agreement.

Each season, Sky Sports will broadcast a minimum of:  
328 Sky Bet Championship matches
248 Sky Bet League One matches
248 Sky Bet League Two matches
All 15 Play-Off matches
All 93 Carabao Cup matches
All 127 EFL Trophy matches 
Each League weekend fixture round will see 10 live EFL fixtures shown. Five matches will be shown from the Sky Bet Championship and supporters of Sky Bet League One and League Two teams will now benefit from greater coverage than ever before with five of their games being broadcast live. For the first time ever, fans will be also able to watch every match from the Carabao Cup and EFL Trophy. 

All opening, final day, and midweek fixtures in the Sky Bet EFL will be shown live as will all games played on Bank Holidays including Easter, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day alongside the matches played in Sky Bet League One & Two during international breaks. 

Comments

• That’s an astonishing amount of football. Makes you wonder whether it could have a detrimental impact on the amount of people actually going to games. 
  • Must mean no more 3pm kick offs on opening day or final day of the season if Sky get the go ahead to broadcast every game.
  • edited May 2023
    cafctom said:
    That’s an astonishing amount of football. Makes you wonder whether it could have a detrimental impact on the amount of people actually going to games. 
    Especially regarding all EFL Trophy games 

Attendances are already low enough as it is for those matches.

Good to see streaming for the League Cup is back
  • What are the viewing figures for L1 & L2 I can't imagine they are high 
  • Must mean no more 3pm kick offs on opening day or final day of the season if Sky get the go ahead to broadcast every game.
    More impactful is probably the hit they will.take on streaming.  Why pay extra when it's already covered in your sky subscription?  Although if its the fixed camera, no replay, setup they used on the Red button in the championship I would probably still pay for a stream. 
  • Can’t quite get my head around this. 
  • edited May 2023
    Can’t quite get my head around this. 
    Anything that's not at 3pm on a Saturday will be available, I assume through the Red button.  Guessing the 5 chamoionship weekend games will be Friday night, Saturday lunch time, Saturday evening, and 12 and 2 on Sunday.  Each championship game will have a league 1 or 2 game available at the same time.

Why sky think its a good idea I am not entirely sure. 
  • Less games streamed on Charlton TV, I assume. As well as league matches featured on Sky, the EFL Trophy (formerly Papa Johns) games will also now be off limits.
  • Only way to get Sky to pay was hand them everything 
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:
    This is really not good news for those who go to games. More games being moved from 3pm Saturday, can see their being a backlash to this
    Armchair supporters will be happy.

• clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    This is really not good news for those who go to games. More games being moved from 3pm Saturday, can see their being a backlash to this

I'm sure they will, for those of us who do make the effort to go its poor.  Could be the long term death nail of many clubs
  • clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Will they?  If your an arm chair Charlton fan there will be less Charlton games avaliable to stream, no CATV and inferior coverage.  The Red button is one fixed camera and no replays.

If your a Port Vale fan your not going to miss a game because Salford v Barrow is on TV.  

I can't actually see how it benefits Sky really, how it benefits the clubs nor any fans, arm chair or other wise.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    I thought those who went away did so more for the craic & the drinking. 

• What do you think Sky mean by streaming?

Coverage on their red button service? Or streaming over the internet and shown in their red website?

Will Charlton Tv be able to show all matches , only those not being streamed by Sky or none at all? Either way the future of Charlton Tv doesn't look that rosy.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Will they?  If your an arm chair Charlton fan there will be less Charlton games avaliable to stream, no CATV and inferior coverage.  The Red button is one fixed camera and no replays.

If your a Port Vale fan your not going to miss a game because Salford v Barrow is on TV.  

I can't actually see how it benefits Sky really, how it benefits the clubs nor any fans, arm chair or other wise.
    Will be minimum four cameras in Championship and League 1and two in League 2 

Coverage on their red button service? Or streaming over the internet and shown in their red website?

Will Charlton Tv be able to show all matches , only those not being streamed by Sky or none at all? Either way the future of Charlton Tv doesn't look that rosy.
    I should have read the Press Notice before posting!

If I read that right, the new deal means the end of club streaming and IFollow services except for commentary only reports for domestic viewers/listeners. But live coverage for overseas viewers  will continue.

Will be interesting to see if the club carries on with charlton tv.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    I thought those who went away did so more for the craic & the drinking. 

So how does a Friday evening, Saturday lunch time or evening or Sunday lunch time game make it preferable to have a laugh & a beer?
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:
    This will also likely mean more League One games played at strange times (ie - not Saturday 3pm), just because it’s on Sky via a red button service. 

Not ideal for travelling away supporters.

The blackout stays but more matches will be available to stream, with six games across the Championship, League One and League Two set to kick off at 12.30pm each Saturday.

The deal means 26 out of 36 matches will kick off at Saturday 3pm – seven Championship matches plus 19 across Leagues One and Two.

The EFL acknowledges the changes in kick-off times can make planning difficult for fans and has committed to placing all live matches up to the FA Cup third round before the start of each season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/05/english-football-league-agrees-new-935-deal-with-sky-sports

• Does anyone really want to watch that much EFL? I barely watch anything other than the play off games
  • clive said:
    cafctom said:
    This will also likely mean more League One games played at strange times (ie - not Saturday 3pm), just because it’s on Sky via a red button service. 

Not ideal for travelling away supporters.

The blackout stays but more matches will be available to stream, with six games across the Championship, League One and League Two set to kick off at 12.30pm each Saturday.

The deal means 26 out of 36 matches will kick off at Saturday 3pm – seven Championship matches plus 19 across Leagues One and Two.

The EFL acknowledges the changes in kick-off times can make planning difficult for fans and has committed to placing all live matches up to the FA Cup third round before the start of each season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/05/english-football-league-agrees-new-935-deal-with-sky-sports

EFL acknowledges changes make planning difficult for fans but don't really give a shit.
  • Considering they supposedly spent double the cash than they did on the previous deal, does that potentially financialy offset the lost attendance money? 
  • shine166 said:
    Considering they supposedly spent double the cash than they did on the previous deal, does that potentially financialy offset the lost attendance money? 
    Whenever TV revenue goes up its spent on players
  • Blackout is no longer a good idea!

If Charlton on tv at 12:30 i will not go to the game.

If Charlton on tv at 15:00 i will go to the game.

Especially away games!

I should have read the Press Notice before posting!

If I read that right, the new deal means the end of club streaming and IFollow services except for commentary only reports for domestic viewers/listeners. But live coverage for overseas viewers  will continue.

Will be interesting to see if the club carries on with charlton tv.
    But then for the majority of current games, at 3pm on a Saturday, the live coverage is officially only for overseas viewers anyway
  • Does anyone really want to watch that much EFL? I barely watch anything other than the play off games
    It is about overseas viewing and gambling. The coverage is not their for league 1 and 2 football fans. Sky would not make money on the deal if they relied on UK football fans,
  • Do Sky sell the foreign rights then?