Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• McBobbin said:
    Must be the first school shooting I can think of where the perpetrator was female. No doubt the discussion will be about everything other than gun availability 
    Didnt the boomtown rats sing a song about a female shooter going back. I dont like mondays, cant recall her name.
    so they did! Certainly not common though. I made the mistake of looking on twitter about it.. absolute cesspit.
  • McBobbin said:
    McBobbin said:
    Must be the first school shooting I can think of where the perpetrator was female. No doubt the discussion will be about everything other than gun availability 
    Didnt the boomtown rats sing a song about a female shooter going back. I dont like mondays, cant recall her name.
    so they did! Certainly not common though. I made the mistake of looking on twitter about it.. absolute cesspit.
    She was a right nut if i recall.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    What is people's fascination to keep reporting atrocities like this on a football forum, and a local team one too? The USA is a f***ed country and has nothing to with our life in the UK. 
     For goodness sake please leave it alone. 
     Loads of things on this forum that are irrelevant to a football forum of a local team. 

Don't want to read it? Ignore it.
    So you like to read about things like this and think it should be on Charlton Life? Very odd. 
     I don't like to read or see many things that I see in the news, however I believe it is important to be aware of what's is going on in the world. 

I'd suggest sorting by "General Charlton" if that's all you want to read on the forum. 
  • shine166 said:
    Try and talk to a yank about this issue and they'll just respond with 'uk has knife crime'... they are beyond saving.
    You can even point out at the London Bridge terror attacks the bad guys only had knifes and the police had guns and executed them pretty quickly and it falls on death ears. 
  • The Americans will not give up their right to have firearms. 

They have an outdated belief that they will need to form a militia against a corrupt Government.

Therefore if the government outlaws guns, the US gun owners will form a militia to fight the government, they will not recognise the governments laws.
  • edited March 2023
    shine166 said:
    Try and talk to a yank about this issue and they'll just respond with 'uk has knife crime'... they are beyond saving.
    You can even point out at the London Bridge terror attacks the bad guys only had knifes and the police had guns and executed them pretty quickly and it falls on death ears. 
    Yeah there's not many violent confrontations in the states, that can be managed with a narwhals tusk.
  • So basically guns in the U.S have wiped out the Saturday attendance at the Valley in 2 and a half months. 
  • This is basically the same logic that the wise woman suggested in Blackadder to stop people finding out about him and Bob. Kill everyone in the whole world.
  • This is basically the same logic that the wise woman suggested in Blackadder to stop people finding out about him and Bob. Kill everyone in the whole world.
    He should have added "and drown Middlesex in a bucket of wine mwahahahaha"
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2023
    Which was the shooting where the 'good guy with a gun' chose to hide outside the building for an hour rather than go in and defend the school? 

Edit: found it: 

Texas school shooting: Did children die while police waited outside? - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

Seems putting guns in school doesn't actually lead to a reduction in anything. 
  • Which was the shooting where the 'good guy with a gun' chose to hide outside the building for an hour rather than go in and defend the school? 

Edit: found it: 

Texas school shooting: Did children die while police waited outside? - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

Seems putting guns in school doesn't actually lead to a reduction in anything. 
    leads to a reduction in the population
  • It's such an unbelievably childish point of view, what even is a "good guy with a gun". Are the police good guys? Is that why they kill so many African Americans? People are complex they change over time and under stress. You give a teacher a gun and they're initially fine. Then the stress of themjob, the chronic underfunding by the US authorities, they're home life blows up and one day they snap and kill the mouthy little shit who terrorises his class mates. Or one day the class of 8 years walk in to find teacher couldn't take it anymore and reached into their desk drawer for a solution.

US gun narratives seems to be based on Saturday morning cartoons rather than any appreciation for the complexities and stresses of actual real life.
  • more guns in private hands inevitably leads to more gun fatalities - the statistics show this unequivocally across the world
    The incidence of mad mad bastards slaughtering innocents in America sets that nation apart
    Finland for example has much freer and wider gun ownership than UK, hunting wildlife is much more a thing there - the amount of gun deaths per capita is commensurately higher there than here too - the vast majority though are suicides and domestic disturbances.  What the Fins don't, that Yanks do, is take their armoury to their old school and slaughter all and sundry because of some imagined personal grievance
    Possession of military grade assault weapons by private individuals is obviously insane and unjustifiable and has nothing to do with an American's 'right to bear arms to defend his home/family/self etc etc'
    I don't get what yanks are so scared by in the suggestion that ownership of assault weaponry should be controlled beyond the current flimsy bullshit around mentally ill people.
    I also don't believe there is a widespread concern that they all need to stockpile lethal armouries to defend themselves against the possible oppression from a rogue government.  Allusions to that pre-independence anti British issue are patently bullshit.  There are a few certifiable paranoid nutjobs who live in genuine fear they're all about to get squashed by some authoritarian distopian government oppression but even in USA that's a tiny minority.
    In essence the right to life of 8 years olds in school is subjugated by a right to tout lethal artillery.  This in a country where the right to determine one's own reproductive health is ever further oppressed at the same time that one's right to end the life of A.N. Other (however young) is held sacrosanct.

• I would make every gun able to fire a round every 30 seconds-ish, and thus being in line with the same set of circumstances when the constitution was written. 

I am nothing short of certain that the founding fathers would not have wanted this. 

Society gets what it deserves when it dogmatically pursues something as pig ignorant as the Americans do, sadly though, none of the individuals deserve the punishment.

This will have more pages than the COVID thread one day...
  • Huskaris said:
    I would make every gun able to fire a round every 30 seconds-ish, and thus being in line with the same set of circumstances when the constitution was written. 

I am nothing short of certain that the founding fathers would not have wanted this. 

Society gets what it deserves when it dogmatically pursues something as pig ignorant as the Americans do, sadly though, none of the individuals deserve the punishment.

This will have more pages than the COVID thread one day...
    Modern automatic weapons are so sophisticated that they can fire something almost akin to a beam of bullets. It’s hard to think that such weapons are needed to satisfy the protection requirements as spurious as that is. It’s only my very amateur view but I think that in general Americans cling to some Wild West ideal where guns were definitively needed for protection. They can’t move on from their history. Wonderful country with some wonderful people but more nutters per square mile than any other place on the planet. 
  • Louisville, Kentucky shooting: Five people dead, police say
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65293737

Cant go to a party these days. Shocking.
    State Governor all in favour of guns it seems. No sympathy here I'm afraid. 
  • Not the most important thing when people have been senselessly killed but the pastor sounds familiar 
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I absolutely love it when our American friends come on here to tell us that the USA isn't that violent really and London is as bad, if not worse. Course it is chaps, course it is. 
    That’s not what we said though - somebody compared bar violence between London and Boston, and we said in our personal experience, you’re more likely to see bar violence in London. It’s just not a regular thing around Boston. 
    I've lived in London all my life and have spent most of that time sat in various pubs. 

In that time you could count the number of pub fights I've seen on one hand and the number of fights involving bottles or glasses on a eunuchs balls.

I've also never seen a gun on the streets of London, other than that carried by a policeman or at the changing of the guard.

That's my personal experience. That's my truth, buddy.
    From the age of about 17 / 18 through to early to mid 20s, while drinking around Charlton, Woolwich, North Woolwich, Greenwich, Lewisham, and Dartford (and just about everywhere between); reckon I see a fight or act of violence probably once every couple of weeks and I've personally been glassed twice. One time of which was completely unprovoked, with no lead up whatsoever.
    didn't you get done with a handful of straws once as well 

;) 
    Yeah, that was unprovoked n all
    and it was a "mate"
    Yeah. And another mate knocked me out with a fire door, completely unprovoked n all, come to think of it
    Ha, you just won’t let that go :-)
  • 140 mass shootings already this year, that's madness. When will they realise that their liberal gun laws are to blame.
  • 140 mass shootings already this year, that's madness. When will they realise that their liberal gun laws are to blame.
    They need more guns. Arm everyone, problem solved.
  • The problem is that so many criminals will be armed in one way or another, so not unnaturally many law abiding citizens will go for the option of owning a firearm.
    Most wish they didn’t have to do this but if I lived there I certainly (though reluctantly), would want one.
    If they asked everyone to hand in their weapons does anyone seriously think that criminals will follow suit, of course not.
    My friends girl friend in Oakland California, going back to the 70’s, was asleep in her apartment and became aware of an intruder entering her bedroom. She had a gun on her bedside table, she shot the fella stone dead and only later found out he was armed with a large knife.
    What option did she have, answer is none, you don’t wait to find out in The States and you have the right to defend yourself if an unwelcome person or criminal enters your home, the issue never even went to court and in fact there was never the remotest chance that it would.
    Everyone applauded her, she became quite a celebrity for a while and appeared on several TV news stations…damned if I can remember her name now.🤔
    So there you have it….he could just as easily have had a firearm himself, she simply wasn’t going to wait to find out!
    It’s a Catch 22 issue though………..that’s for sure.
  • The problem is that so many criminals will be armed in one way or another, so not unnaturally many law abiding citizens will go for the option of owning a firearm.
    Most wish they didn’t have to do this but if I lived there I certainly (though reluctantly), would want one.
    If they asked everyone to hand in their weapons does anyone seriously think that criminals will follow suit, of course not.
    My friends girl friend in Oakland California, going back to the 70’s, was asleep in her apartment and became aware of an intruder entering her bedroom. She had a gun on her bedside table, she shot the fella stone dead and only later found out he was armed with a large knife.
    What option did she have, answer is none, you don’t wait to find out in The States and you have the right to defend yourself if an unwelcome person or criminal enters your home, the issue never even went to court and in fact there was never the remotest chance that it would.
    Everyone applauded her, she became quite a celebrity for a while and appeared on several TV news stations…damned if I can remember her name now.🤔
    So there you have it….he could just as easily have had a firearm himself, she simply wasn’t going to wait to find out!
    It’s a Catch 22 issue though………..that’s for sure.
    It's one thing defending yourself from an intruder with a pistol..... its another to go out with semi automatic and gun down innocents in a school or a bank. 

If you cant see the difference then I see where the problem is in the US. 
  • edited April 2023
    If the USA MUST insist on the "right to bare arms" then authorise everyone to have just a single revolver with just 6 bullets. 

They can then "defend" themselves from an intruder & not be a danger to the rest of the community. Anyone found with anything else gets locked up for 20 years.

Simple.

Wont ever happen though because the problem isnt to do with the constitution or having the ability to defend themselves against an intruder. 

• If the USA MUST insist on the "right to bare arms" then authorise everyone to have just a single revolver with just 6 bullets. 

They can then "defend" themselves from an intruder & not be a danger to the rest of the community. Anyone found with anything else gets locked up for 20 years.

Simple.

Wont ever happen though because the problem isnt to do with the constitution or having the ability to defend themselves against an intruder. 

Very true. And the problem is political, idiotic and, seemingly, unresolvable. 
  • After the one last week, news stories were doing the rounds highlighting that “mass” shootings accounted for 1.1% of gun related deaths last year..written in a way to suggest it’s not such a problem. And that is where the problem lies.