Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cambridge United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th March 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off | Match Preview

Cambridge United vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 18th March 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Marc Edwards

Introduction
Charlton remain on the road this coming Saturday, as they make the trip up the M11 with relegation battlers: Cambridge United the hosts awaiting our arrival - We'll head to Cambridgeshire full of confidence, after an emphatic 4-1 over Morecambe (another side struggling to secure League One Football next term) on Tuesday night - The Play-Offs have disappeared over the horizon, all that remains is pride, and the desire from some to secure a new deal ahead of next season.

The Opposition
Name: Cambridge United (23rd) | Manager: Mark Bonner
Ground: Abbey Stadium
Previous League Result: Milton Keynes 1-0 Cambridge United

Second season syndrome is a real condition amongst Football clubs - Many sides have won promotion, excelled, yet have failed to follow it up with an equally impressive year the next, relegation is very often the outcome - Unfortunately for Cambridge that looks precisely on the cards; Mark Bonner got his side to a very respectful 14th last season...

However this season became a completely different story, four wins in the first seven games saw the U's challenging for the Play-Offs, yet have just four wins since the 3rd September - No sides has scored fewer goals than our opponents this Saturday, whilst only four sides in the entire league have conceded more - With a five point gap between them and safety, it looks likely that League Two football will return to the Abbey Stadium, with games now beginning to run out at an alarming rate.

Cambridge themselves will be looking for a first win in five against Charlton, their last coming in February 1992.

Charlton Team News
It looks like the players are once again having their own game of tag with the physios room - Lucas Ness was forced off against Accrington, and his injury looks problematic enough to see him miss the rest of the season (albeit we've had no official confirmation from the club) - Manny Egbo on the other hand made his return to the first team at Morcambe, appearing for the last ten minutes, and will hopefully now build on those minutes between now and the end of the season.

Steven Sessegnon was another missing in Lancashire on Tuesday night, due to swelling in his knee; Terrell Thomas was preferred at Left-Back, over the underwhelming Matt Penney... If Sessegnon is absent again this Saturday, you'd expect a largely unchanged team in Cambridgeshire.

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Hector - Inniss - Thomas
Morgan - Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Leaburn - Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Wollacott - Egbo - Henry - Payne - Blackett-Taylor - Kanu - Bonne

Comments

• A1(M)???? What's wrong with the M11?

Can't see CBT being dropped after his midweek starring role, and Campbell does provide a modicum more cover to Thomas at left back than JRS, so I'm expecting unchanged.

1-1.
  • FA - I think you mean only 4 L1 sides have conceded more, not less.
  • Pedro45 said:
    A1(M)???? What's wrong with the M11?
    For some odd reason I was thinking Peterborough
    FA - I think you mean only 4 L1 sides have conceded more, not less.
    Cheers amended
  • Pedro45 said:

Can't see CBT being dropped after his midweek starring role, and Campbell does provide a modicum more cover to Thomas at left back than JRS, so I'm expecting unchanged.

1-1.
    CBT came off injured and may not be fit
  • edited March 2023
    ross1 said:
    Pedro45 said:

1-1.
    Yep precautionary;  “As quoted by Charlton TV, via the South London Press, the Addicks man explained it was a hamstring problem that caused his withdrawal”
  • Our unbeaten run to the end of the season continues here - 2-0, possibly 3.

• edited March 2023
    RedChaser said:
    ross1 said:
    Pedro45 said:

1-1.
    Yep precautionary;  “As quoted by Charlton TV, via the South London Press, the Addicks man explained it was a hamstring problem that caused his withdrawal”
    Was having a scan on it as reported yesterday 

• Sponsored links:

• Buzzing for this one!
  • Fixture dreams are made of. Charlton v Cambridge Utd, almost full circle for me in my near fifty years of suffering.

1-1
  • One of my least favourite grounds, don't know why as it isn't far from us, hopefully can carry on from Tuesday, 0-2 to the addicks.
  • Let me know if anyone wants a ticket for this one, got a spare! 
  • No CBT = no win. Hope he's fit otherwise we'll struggle. Not just creatively but he finished off 2 chances on Tuesday night so knows where the net is.

2-0 either way.

• One player we won't see is Conor McGrandles who's been a regular at Cambridge since he joined on loan
  • Cambridge are struggling and things go against you when you are near the bottom. 2-1 Charlton, 50 points here we come.
  • A must win.
  • Think this will be a draw .. 

• Sponsored links:

• Once again we won’t lose , 1-1 or 1-2  Addicks to Victory
  • Rolling out to a 1-2, leaburn and JRS find their shooting boots again.
  • Pedro45 said:
    For some odd reason I was thinking Peterborough
    FA - I think you mean only 4 L1 sides have conceded more, not less.
    Cheers amended
    Date is wrong as well 😉
  • The players had a taste of scoring goals the other night. They’ll be looking to feast now…
  • Should be another good away win for the famous CAFC going for 2-0 to us 
    Come On You Reds  B)
  • Got a ticket spare now if anyone can collect in Cambridge?
  • Just do it and enjoy the journey back.
  • Cambridge Utd 1 - Charlton 1